do lowering springs affect insurance?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dalemCC

Drives
Fiesta Mk6
i have me car insured fully comp, and put springs into her last nite, do u need to tell ur insurance company, and how much more money do ye reckon it would be extra ? really dont no much about this topic, but if someone can help, it would be apreciated, cheers

pablo

RMS Moderator
many people dont, but you should so that in the event of a claim you are 100%. Some companies dont mind, some are very harsh and may even stop covering you.

Might be worth phoning and asking how much it would be as you're thinking of doing it. And if its too much look to move insurance company or else remove the springs again.

Andy_Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
ibiza cupra 20vt
Yes you have to tell your insurence company your car is lowerd, and any other modifications you make also have to be declared. The reason for this is because if you have an accident your insurence will not pay out as you have not declared the mods. And you will then have to pay to repair your car and possibly another persons car yourself.

No idea how much extra you will end up paying but i dont think its that much.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
My coilovers didn't cost anything extra on the insurance

smyth

RMS Regular
Drives
172 cup
definately tell them. But who you are with will determine how much you pay. Quinn didnt charge me anymore for my suspension.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Any time ive declared lowering the increase is rather a lot.

Directline are looking an extra £200 to go from 17" to 18" wheels.

Alan_M

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia SRI VX-
Hughs and co didnt charge me anything to change to 19's on my focus. Tho they said they'll not cover the coilovers so looking for different cover and greenlight says it isnt modified enough

bebo-joe

RMS Regular
Drives
120d M-Sport
Spray springs black after rubbing down with 600 and wipe with petrol then leave to dry. Few lite coats of black spray and all looks oe. I do this and my bro did it on his focus and poked her. Insurance said nothing even tho car was on deck. They check suspension but never mentioned springs. Get them bought and in it.

alison

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota Yaris
Definitely tell them. If you did have an accident they will look for any way to wriggle out of paying up. Sure it would be cheaper in the long run to pay a few quid now, rather than have to pay thousands should that happen.

pablo

RMS Moderator

are 18s not an oem option? If so Id be saying feck all. Although I guess its too late now. Added lowered suspension and 17s onto the wifes golf policy with directline and it was only a small difference.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4

Direct Line take the absolute piss when it comes to charging extra for modifications. Leave them!

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Spray springs black after rubbing down with 600 and wipe with petrol then leave to dry. Few lite coats of black spray and all looks oe. I do this and my bro did it on his focus and poked her. Insurance said nothing even tho car was on deck. They check suspension but never mentioned springs. Get them bought and in it.

There's a name for doing this. It's "insurance fraud".

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Direct Line take the absolute piss when it comes to charging extra for modifications. Leave them!

Im actually beginning to think it might be the cheaper option. I get the car 4 days before my 26th, so if i start the new policy then with another company it should bring it down a bit more. Although it means losing another 4 months of a years NCB.

Pablo, they are an optional extra and i too am sorely tempted, but then i insurance companies look for any wee excuse not to pay.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
Yes you should tell them, companies have been know to void insurance after a crash if modifications arent declared

*On that note does anyone know what size wheels an A4 sport comes with, i assumed they would be 17's at least :confounded:

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
How many years NCD have you? I "lost" 10 months there when I sold the Integra and was car less, but I already have 5 years and you get no more of a discount for having any more.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
5 years.

Chris, i think they came with the the 17" ones chunkerz is selling. Check autotrader for similar standard ones to see sure.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
When i've been talking to insurers the don't really need to know the specifics of the modification,

for example, when i added alloys to my policy, sizes of wheels didn't matter, my car can have any aftermarket alloy wheels on and i'm still covered. What the broker told me.

Same with lowering, my new policy just says the car is covered to be lowered + not whether it's on springs, coils, bags or how low it is.

alison

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota Yaris
My insurance (Aviva Young Driver through Hughes) was ultra strict with modifications, I was only allowed one so I got alloys, my car had 14 inch steelies as standard. I was only allowed 15s and had to have locking wheel nuts (which I would have got anyway but they specifically stated that I had to, to be covered).
Probably depends on the broker and or insurance company as to how strict they are.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
quinn know about everything in my car my policy has a list lol
tried charging me 155 quid for lowering it rang back and said i'll have till pay it girl on the phone goes there no charge for it, some one must have been after a bonus :mad:.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Hi everyone,

Just to let those of you that are covered with us (or aiming to be one day) know our stance towards suspension conversions.

Under our Greenlight specific performance car schemes we do not apply additional terms for shock absorbers, springs, or coilover conversions that have been professionally carried out.

If carried out mid-policy there is likely to be a transaction charge relating to policy administration, but if the suspension modification is carried out to co-incide with a new business or renewal transaction there would be no increase for this.

Your vehicle enhancements/modifications would be covered on a like for like replacement basis in event of a repairable/replaceable incident.

Kind regards

Tony

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
yes you need to tell your insurance company about anything you do to the car

whether or not it will affect your premium will obviously depend on the company your with, quinn for example will not charge you whereas axa dont even insure lowered cars well they didnt last time i rang em

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.