Drunk in charge of a motor vehicle

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Love Maxwells' opinion^o). These "ops" put Police on the streets and are also known as "high visiblity policing" and don't just target motorists who drive while drunk, but also criminals who use vehicles and they also do this in addition to everyday beat and patrol duties. Sour grapes perhaps?

Anyway, the real point of the thread is that the guy will most possibly face a ban and will need a really good solicitor to convince a judge he was never intending to drive. Why risk your licence and possibly job because you can't ring a taxi, parent, friend to take you home?

Maxwell

Banned
yes sour grapes purple, but why broadcast about trying to catch out the easiest targets and not the targets they should be aiming for the most???

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Because more people are killed and severely injured on the roads because of people who speed, drink drive and drive dangerously than are by burglars and cash machine thieves. Did you ever consider how these people get to where they are committing these offences? I'll tell you, they drive.

martinopy

RMS Regular
Drives
Granturismo
I'd say the guy who got caught was very unlucky and if indeed he was in the back seat then i'm maybe the officer could have handled things better. I think the psni in large do a good job and most officers i've dealt with have been very down to earth but as in every job you get a few who are sticklers for the rules but tbh how did he know that your mate didn't see him coming and then jumped in the back?

therock

RMS Regular
i have had dealings with some really nice peelers yes and some real khunts also

but you hear on the radio about "operation bla bla bla is this weekend - we are targetting drunk drivers and speeding motorists"

you NEVER hear of "operation bla bla bla - we are patrolling the streets for suspicious activity or on the look out for people lurking round old peoples homes" etc etc

THERES NO CASH IN THAT SO WHY WOULD THEY!!!!!!!!!

You should go to a DPP meeting in west belfast at sometime, we're instructed to go on patrols when not responding to 999 calls, and there are specific logs where the amount of time patrolling is recorded for those areas.

For example, on a 12 hr shift last night I think there was about 6hrs of patrolling (excluding responding to 999 calls and breaktimes)

But of course an ex-peelers, son in law's brother who owns a dog the same colour as your neighbours will know all that

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I agree with 350z man. It could have been handled differnetly but we then start the "what ifs". What if they had woke him, spoke to him about it then left him and he proceeded to drive after they left and had an accident? The Police have a duty of care, and the main reason the Police are here is to protect and save lives, whether it be motorists, other road users or pedestrians, its not to catch "easy targets". I firmly believe that if you drive or get into a car not as a passenger after a drink, you deserve to get caught and be banned. Simple as.

Maxwell

Banned
alot of people didnt like it, but i think if the psni took a leaf out of the rucs book....maybe the policing wouldnt be in the state its in!

RoniN

RMS Regular

i know he has no chance, i asked what he could expect.

is anyone going to answer anything ive asked lol

Friend had something similar happen to him awhile back, difference was he was sleeping in the back with the car keys in his pocket.
Cops woke him up and he was in court for drunk in charge, he got a 3 month ban, £400 fine and no points as his work wrote a letter to the court saying for insurance reasons if he was awarded points they would have to let him go (he had a clean licence atm).

Don't know if that helps any?

Cheers

big cyril

RMS Regular
We're all agreed drink driving is dangerous.
This chap has decided to NOT drink drive yet it looks like he's facing a similar punishment.
I realize this is a legislation rather than a policing issue but really......

Meanwhile the guys who steal cars and drive them round Belfast at high speed have little or no chance of getting caught.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I think its a disgrace.

As BC said, this guy has made the correct choice by not driving, and not putting other road users lives at danger, and yet he still gets prosecuted?

Im not having a go at the police by the way, its that inparticular law i think is needs addressed.

In saying that i know the arguement could be "what if...?"

Kirsty2504

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta
People are always going to have a mixed opinion about this, I myself can see both sides of the story...

1, The person...For whatever reason may it be locked out/camping/etc the car is prob the safest and warmest place for that person to be until the next day. They have no intention of driving at all just needs must (as such)

2, The police...You have the keys in the car or on you, so therefore you are in charge of that vechicle how are they to know that you dont have the intentions to drive as they dont know the story behind it

If anyone was to sleep in their vehicle with alcohol in them, make sure the keys are set/put outside away from the vehicle

scub

Banned
Car keys in the house are where they are expected to be.

By transporting the keys outside of the house shows intention to use them.

Still, for your mate, get him a solicitor and fight it.

not sure your right there mate - if your in a pub 5 miles way from the car with the keys in your pocket , your hardly lining up a drunken rally session.
i think the boys in blue have the wit to realise the difference... surely to god...+o(

my keys are in my pocket every single time i'm out on the razz , as i've had my house ransacked once ,
looking for the car keys presumably as nothing was taken , and another car local was nicked same night.
so if i had left them in the house i'd ve probably had no car to go home to.
the o/p was taking a chance but maybe the fact that he was asleep in the back might get him some sort of a bye ball ?

Walder

RMS Regular
my question is he was locked outside, do they not have a door bell or bang a few windows to get attenton or like others say ring their house?

also a taxi home is not expensive when you end up in such a situation as above...

Bryan

RMS Regular
I would imagine there is a lot more to the story that's been "glossed over". Who knows what actually went on.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Was the car parked on the street or in a driveway?

My cousin's due in court for DIC, was at a house party with drink taken, keys left in his 125, standing out the front having a smoke. Not sure what's happening with it but I didn't think it would stand up in court if it was on a private driveway.

The odd time if I've had a drink and need to pop out to the car parked on the street, I'd come out in a t-shirt and leave my phone in the house. Hopefully would make it more believable that I intended to come back into the house.

scoobyman

RMS Regular
Drives
skyline
my question is he was locked outside, do they not have a door bell or bang a few windows to get attenton or like others say ring their house?

also a taxi home is not expensive when you end up in such a situation as above...
u dont alway think the best when ur drunk

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
All the more reason to start the car. Could have been in gear.

I cant imagine getting locked out and not being able to wake someone/get into the house somehow.

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I'd imagine they didn't want him at the party. What did they do, come in from the bar and fall into deep sleep?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.