will engine management light on fail MOT?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

kurgan

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord
will engine management light on fail MOT?

the car is running normally, but the check engine light is on. I don't think this should matter for MOT, but just wondering does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

pablo

RMS Moderator
No need, it will be dead on. Why waste your time?

(assuming there isnt a fuelling problem in which case it might fail emmissions).

kurgan

RMS Regular
OP
kurgan
Drives
Accord
cheers

I don't suspect any emission problems as the car seems to be running normally and is returning the usual mpg.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
think its only the ABS light they would fail it on

EML is fine

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Why not just get the car fixed ? when its obvious there is something wrong.

And it is mostly the ABS bulb they test. Doesnt matter if the ABS is actually working or not, as long as the ABS lamp illuminates/goes out the way they expect.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Why not just get the car fixed ? when its obvious there is something wrong.

The EML light on would drive me mental, even on a cheap scrapper I'd have to have it sorted out straight away. I dunno how people could just drive away when the car's telling you something is broken. Same as poorly balanced wheels, or poorly set steering alignment.

pablo

RMS Moderator
If the car is still driving fine and not using more fuel etc then there would be no massive rush to get it sorted out. It would drive me nuts too though but Id get the MOT over first personally.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Times I wonder why I bother answering MOT questions.....

Lighten up big fella (do you see what I done there :oops:)

I could say sometimes I wonder why I bother making sure my vehicles are always well prepared for an MOT when I see some of the sh"t£ thats on our roads.

MOT advice is always greatly appreciated. When are they scraping these government centres and getting the privateers in to really spice things up :confounded:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Are they still thinking of doing that? I'd much rather the system the way it runs now tbh.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Totally with ya coog I think the privateers thing would bge very hard to monitor. i thought they were still assessing it but i was hoping JCLC might know something more

pablo

RMS Moderator
Agreed, our system is pretty good. And free from fraud. ie

old lady takes car to garage for mot.
tester says oh brakes are failing, I can put a new set of pads in for you
old lady thankful thinking what a nice chap
tester fires in a set of pads and pockets £50.
there you go all better now.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye, there's also the problem of back-handers and shoddy workmanship. My Jeep had been welded for its English MOT and the job was shabby to say the least. I had to get it redone and it had about 11mths MOT remaining, and it hadn't been offroad at that stage either.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
Yeah always liked our system Pablo and never been treated unfairly. Been nervous going through with cars like the MR2 and the Clio Valver but still passed and away fine.

I would imagine the private garages could make a killing out of being an MOT centre if they were crooked. But Im sure like all things there would be those who would do it right and give it a good crack. Might be quite handy to get your brakes done and pass your MOT rather than have to book a re-test, if they genuinely needed done that is !

pablo

RMS Moderator
Oh absolutely, be really handy and save you a retest fee etc. Imagine dropping a car in for a service and saying stick and MOT on it too. Be really handy.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
TBH you guys will know about the privatisation(sp) before I would, but I doubt very much it will happen, maybe become owed by someone like NCT, but it will never go to the garages like England, its a European thing that its independant, and Mainland is the only part of Europe where its still carried out by the garages.

My personal views are, it would be very silly of the Government to give up the MOT as its a licence to print money, they say its non-profit, but last year our centre alone I think was £800k profit, or turnarounrd, but don't quote me.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
yep i it could be run on a tight ship it would be great to have the car pass with on site repairs or as pablo said service and MOT please ! would be sweet

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
your centres are so well equiped JCLC the ramps are awesome ! always wanted one at the house to make working on the motors a piece of pi55.

800K is some going mate bit of a government stealth tax on the motorist !

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I think the centers we have at the min are good. If the car is legal then there is no problem. No point complaining if it fails. It has failed because its not right and shouldnt be on the road. Simple as.

Some of the cars with english MOT certificates are a joke.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.