RMS Offroad Enthusiasts - Punch Hunt - Flagstaff - 25th August 2019

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
Complete novice to all this, but in relation to that steep decline, what on earth do you do if that goes wrong? By that I mean, it is coming down that steep decline whether the driver wants it too or not, so if the jeep cant control the descent, what happens? Hold on and keep it as straight as possible?

It is fun though!

I'll have to tag along next time @Nicky even though you don't like me.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Complete novice to all this, but in relation to that steep decline, what on earth do you do if that goes wrong? By that I mean, it is coming down that steep decline whether the driver wants it too or not, so if the jeep cant control the descent, what happens? Hold on and keep it as straight as possible?

Hold on tight, if you go sideways there you are rolling.

The jeep is going down the hill no matter what happens

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Keep it pointing downhill is about all you can do really. Sometimes you got to let it run on a bit too because if you fire the brakes on and she's nose heavy it can be enough to tip it right over.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Flip raging I missed this, first I heard about it was after it happened! Epic photos.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Great pics, I absolutely love this one, proper get it framed photo
IMG_8776.JPG

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Flip raging I missed this, first I heard about it was after it happened! Epic photos.

I posted this in your Vitara thread, you came back on about 2 weeks later. And I forgot to mention it again.

Screenshot_2016-03-03-13-08-09.png

@Cartunes keeps telling us your good looking wife is keeping you at home :p

Sorry I'll try and remember next time again, your vitara would have worked well.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
So am I tbh. It gets no love at all. The clutch is still OK but it's right at the very end of the pedal and the adjustment has run out. Shouldn't be expensive or difficult.
@weeloaney and i quote:
Coog "here, clutch on its last legs, so just dump it and get into gear"
Me "i feel awful sitting in first revving away at 4k"
Coog "**** that, tear away, i do, no more than 10 mins over 7K revs though..."

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
lol it'll go now to my father where it'll be towing horse boxes full of logs up green lanes, bump starting the next door neighbours JCB and goodness knows what else over the summer before coming back under my 'care' for a bit of 4x4ing. It's quite astounding that so far the only thing that's actually broken in nearly 3 years is a single rear spring and one gearbox mount.

The clutch is definitely feeling iffy though. No slipping yet so I'll let Dad kill it and will give @Nicky a shout for a repair.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
lol it'll go now to my father where it'll be towing horse boxes full of logs up green lanes, bump starting the next door neighbours JCB and goodness knows what else over the summer before coming back under my 'care' for a bit of 4x4ing. It's quite astounding that so far the only thing that's actually broken in nearly 3 years is a single rear spring and one gearbox mount.

The clutch is definitely feeling iffy though. No slipping yet so I'll let Dad kill it and will give @Nicky a shout for a repair.
or use it tow my 200 to @Nicky and he can do the undersealing while there....

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Has anyone any idea how a single-cab L200 would fare at this carry-on? I would love to have a go at this, but I would be afraid the lack of weight in the back would inhibit progress.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Some really good photos there @Mark_D

Shame about my rusty windscreen surround though... really must get round to replacing that.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Has anyone any idea how a single-cab L200 would fare at this carry-on? I would love to have a go at this, but I would be afraid the lack of weight in the back would inhibit progress.
Only one way to find out....

Turning circle is a bitch on them and 4WD nothing to write home about but tbh I reckon it would get round most of flagstaff and all of todds leap

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

Lack off weight could be an issue, but as John said, only 1 way to find out :p

Strap something heavy into the bed of it and tear away.

If you can get up a bit, try more speed, if you really can't get up try even more speed :p

Pently of others about to tow you up a hill if your in trouble and you can turn and take another route in a lot of places.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@weeloaney and i quote:
Coog "here, clutch on its last legs, so just dump it and get into gear"
Me "i feel awful sitting in first revving away at 4k"
Coog "**** that, tear away, i do, no more than 10 mins over 7K revs though..."
Hahaha

Laughed at that when you told us as he had just dumped the clutch an bounced up the hill reving it's nuts off, and leaving you to grab a lift with me.

How was it in the back going up that anyway?