E60 525d - turbo issue?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You sure all of the seals were in place correctly prior to refitting the manifold?

Also, is the small metal EGR pipe properly attached to the side of the EGR body at the front of the inlet?

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
You sure all of the seals were in place correctly prior to refitting the manifold?

Also, is the small metal EGR pipe properly attached to the side of the EGR body at the front of the inlet?
I think so? Awkward manoeuvring the manifold back in and under the cables but I thought it was ok.
I'll check egr tomorrow, thanks.
Anything else to check?

Ge0rge

Banned
Where are you at exactly anyway buddy? And what's the status of it just now you have it back together but you have an oil leek somewhere you can't find is that right ? Is she still boosting ? I have one here if you want to compare anything.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
I'm in Bangor (y) Comparing it may be extremely useful if you didn't mind at some point? In fact a drive in another would be great as I wonder did mine ever go as it should?!?
Last night there was virtually no power at all, never mind boost! But in recent times I would agree there has been little or no boost and the car appeared to be choking, for want of a better word? Not sure if that makes sense, but it's as if it was being held back. Some MAF issues thrown in there too I think - either caused by the real problem or masking it.
I took a punt on the leak being the manifold gaskets or breathers. Really only leaves rocker cover in that area - a bit trickier I guess!
Going to spend some time tomorrow with it, weather permitting. I'll get the under tray off as well and have a good hoke about, once I get rid of the sooty deposit covering everything :relieved:
Trying to get hold of the fella that did the gutting last year too as he can confirm if anything I may find is actually an issue or now 'defunct' as a result of his tinkering. And he refurbished the turbo at the same time which may be worth discussing too.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Plugged the car in to INPA to check for codes - cleared all and started the motor. Nothing other than the 3 glow plugs and break wear sensor / pads (need changed and are lying in the boot!).
Had a look under the bonnet and took off the engine cover. Not sure if you can make it out from the photos but quite a hefty layer of dust over everything. Bad underneath the cover too which might suggest the source is somewhere covered by it perhaps??

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Not sure if connected but poor fuel economy of late too - needle takes a long time to move from the zero end.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
That's exhaust gases covering the engine.

EGR pipe broken, cracked manifold (very common), blown gasket etc.

All of those would explain lack of boost too as a loss of exhaust gases means they are escaping before getting to drive the turbine wheel.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
That's exhaust gases covering the engine.
EGR pipe broken, cracked manifold (very common), blown gasket etc.
All of those would explain lack of boost too as a loss of exhaust gases means they are escaping before getting to drive the turbine wheel.

If it's gases, should it be visible when engine running perhaps? Might help to pinpoint the source.
Haven't noticed any smell inside sometimes associated with cracked manifold, but how to check it please?
EGR area to be checked tomorrow.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Would usually be visible with a light, best checked when it's dark outside. Either that, or get someone to cover the tailpipe for approx 1 second at a time to see if anythings apprently.

You'll be best getting it up to running temp before checking.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Would usually be visible with a light, best checked when it's dark outside. Either that, or get someone to cover the tailpipe for approx 1 second at a time to see if anythings apprently.

You'll be best getting it up to running temp before checking.

Just saw a vid on the tube - was an E39 but probably the same idea. So basically I should get smoke/exhaust in the engine bay when running? And hopefully if I can see roughly where it's coming from we could perhaps identify the culprit?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yeah. Forcing the gases out of the split pipe/blown gasket etc to become more visible.

Wear gloves when covering the tailpipes if you don't fancy black paws...

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Yeah. Forcing the gases out of the split pipe/blown gasket etc to become more visible.

Wear gloves when covering the tailpipes if you don't fancy black paws...

Lol!!
Depending on what happens, might need to pick your brains about what's involved in the Egr delete too, so I know what's what when I'm checking. I'm sure there is at least one plug and pipe disconnected as part of the process.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Lol!!
Depending on what happens, might need to pick your brains about what's involved in the Egr delete too, so I know what's what when I'm checking. I'm sure there is at least one plug and pipe disconnected as part of the process.

Offer nicky 50 quid to visit for a few hours of his time to give it a check is what makes sense to me.

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Well, went out tonight to give it a clean - horrible!
Anyway, found a split on the underside of the pipe leading to the egr
default_happy.png

I'm hoping that explains the soot but why did it split? Or more importantly, was it weak and starting to split through wear and tear, or did something else cause it?
I'm guessing a split pipe wouldn't cause all the issues I've been having tbh
default_huh.png

Also, there is a metal band securing the pipe top and bottom, but they're not jubilee clips as far as I can see. Anyone know how to remove them?

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Replaced Egr pipe today with new (silicone) one. Seems much better!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Found another slight 'blow' though - this little bugger
image.jpeg
it's the clip to join the Egr. It's like one of those grooved, exhaust type clamps. I remember it being awkward when I replaced the manifold but thought it was sorted. Obviously not! It's a pig though!

j2112

RMS Regular
OP
j2112
Drives
BMW F36
Just going to ring them now - think a new one is probably in order!

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
That silicone pipe you replaced is your main feed into the intake, a split in it would leave it down on power and smokey.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.