Window wiper/Jets freezing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

J55NI

RMS Regular
what is the magic solution to stop the jets freezing folks?. The jets freezing over and not being able to clean the windscreen is starting to get annoying .

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Would the neat stuff damage paint or is it ok to use like that?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Doesn't need to be neat if it's concentrated, stick to the mixing ratio on the bottle and it won't freeze.

Although sometimes they freeze no matter what you do.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
5 mins before you set off, heaters full on at the windscreen does the job without the need for washers.

Usually works but didn't today for a very long time... Few hours went by before they worked and the state of the van windscreen+sun shine=can't see nothing! Grim

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
5 mins before you set off, heaters full on at the windscreen does the job without the need for washers.

Yeah ten minutes this morning and a kettle of water over the windows sorted it....

Until I hit templepatrick and couldn't see again, frozen jets.

3 litre bottle of water and 4 stops later I made it to Enniskillen with being able to see clearly a decent bit of the journey.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Just went out and topped ours up there with concentrated stuff good to -20. And ran it through the lines.

-2 on the readout at the minute.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Folk always think sure it's only -3 I'll mix the screenwash for -5, they don't take into account the wind chill factor. Air temp could be -3 but at 70mph the temperature hitting the car would be near -20.

NotKG

Banned
this has been done by 2 biker friends who now live in maine USA and quebec canada, who both emigrated from NI
over there a heated washer bottle is £300+++ and they're getting a lot of snow.
if you buy really cheap rubber sealed waterproof motorbike heated grips, there are some about £6-£8 on ali express etc and have a 5 position setting on one controller
wire it up to a ignition feed and put it on the lowest setting and drop one into the tank.
keep the one with the switch out and butcher it in a way to turn off the heat but leave the control switch working. unless you get a posh one with a seperate controller and thermostat.
keep the tank full. and heater full on screen, hot hitting cold can crack a screen too, which is why you don't boil a kettle and pour it on your screen, you pour it on the edge of the roof, rotting the rubber seal and rusting out your window in the future.
its an idea.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Im loving my preheater these mornings. Set for 4am yesterday and the car was defrosted and toasty warm when I was leaving at 4:30. Set it for half an hr before my plane landed as a everyone else was defrosting in the car park, mine was ice free and toasty warm. Where is that smug git gif when you need it?

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Just went out and topped ours up there with concentrated stuff good to -20. And ran it through the lines.

-2 on the readout at the minute.

Well that was useless.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Pretty sure I owned a Ford at one point that had heated jet nozzles too :cool:

I wish my Mazda had some too it really does get annoying.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Im loving my preheater these mornings. Set for 4am yesterday and the car was defrosted and toasty warm when I was leaving at 4:30. Set it for half an hr before my plane landed as a everyone else was defrosting in the car park, mine was ice free and toasty warm. Where is that smug git gif when you need it?

I'm pretty sure the X5 has this, but I'm a bit apprehensive about using it. Is it not a bit of a potential fire hazard?

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I'm pretty sure the X5 has this, but I'm a bit apprehensive about using it. Is it not a bit of a potential fire hazard?
No more so than any sort of diesel fuel burner...such as your engine. If its fitted, does it not run automatically at start up when temps are low to heat the engine quicker? that's the main function of it in the disco. The function to set it to come on at a time and now by remote control thanks to this weeks purchase is secondary.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I agree with you that a heated windscreen is a brilliant job, but it's not a lot of use 20 miles into a journey and the windscreen washers stop working though.:p
That's what I'm thinking,what has a heated window got to do with washer jets freezing over lol.we have got slightly of topic lads.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No more so than any sort of diesel fuel burner...such as your engine. If its fitted, does it not run automatically at start up when temps are low to heat the engine quicker? that's the main function of it in the disco. The function to set it to come on at a time and now by remote control thanks to this weeks purchase is secondary.

No idea! I must read in to it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.