The ZX6R track build.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
So i decided to track my daily rider. (more like weekend rider)..

I had a gsxr750 prior and loved the it however i had an itch i couldn't scratch and it was to get the ninja on the track.
so away the gsxr went and made way for a new daily and to start on the zx6r!
parts list for the zx6r is as follows--
sheps race fairings
hel lines
accossato master cylinder and res
sbs dc pads
new fork oil
gb racing sliders and engine protectors
r6 throttle tube
exhaust hanger
-1 front sprocket
renthal medium grips
supercorsa sc1's
and finally some oil and oil filter!

i'll get some more info up as i sort out the pics i took and what not.

BEFORE
IMG_0763.JPG

AFTER
IMG_2438.JPG

Last edited:

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
since the zx6r was my daily i needed a new bike to get me around. originally i wanted a big lazy yamaha but ended up settling for this bandit 1200. plenty of power and torque for what i need and the main point for me is it's like riding a sofa. the seat is amazing and the riding position it nice and neutral unlike the sports bikes.

IMG_2329.JPG

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
once i had the tail mocked up i noticed the rear tail bolt hole was about an inch to far forward so i needed to make up a little plate i could drill and tap. if i shifted the tail piece backwards to meet the oem hole it would have left a 2 inch gap between the seat and the tank which looked stupid.

I drilled and tapped some m6 threads into the tail where the blue markings are at the rear then made a little plate in the shape of an A to clear the pillion seat hook catch.

It won't win any beauty awards but it does the job and is out of sight when the tails on! I may even rivet a 1/4 turn fastener back plate to it in the future so the tail can be removed without the need for an allen key.

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

Also got some P clips from HEL to tidy the brake lines as they ran past the front mud guard. simple rivet jobbie sorted it. il just drill and re-rivet if i ever need to remove it.

IMG_2394.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 125

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
so on sunday gone i got the bike on kirky for a good shake down day. sadly however they only had a spot left in the green group so it was an experience to say the least.

Bike went well matching the times of my old gsxr 750 which had 35HP more at the wheel than the little 600!
The zx6r turns sooooo much better and rails thru the corners unlike the gsxr that needed persuading around a bend.

also i decided to paint the bellypan satin black to break up the white. looks well i think.

_KW22509.JPG
_KW22715.JPG

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Looks great, my dad ended up tracking his 636 years back and kept up and was quicker than a lot of the litre machines.

Black belly pan looks great, get some stickers down there.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Looks great, my dad ended up tracking his 636 years back and kept up and was quicker than a lot of the litre machines.

Black belly pan looks great, get some stickers down there.
iv a stock pile of stickers to put on it i've just not bothered yet. iv still a few things i want to do to it but as it sits now its pretty solid! can't wait to et it back on track.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
the dual carbon pads are some job. completely sorted my brake fade issues
Yea once they come upto temp they bite hard and keep biting! Those paired with a brembo or accossato master make a massive improvement over stock! Think next year I'm going to try some sbs dual sintered and see what there like.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
So with winter upon us and no cars to fix up, the bikes been pulled from the corner its lived in for 3 months to be prepped for this years track season..
few changes from when i last posted..
The akra can has been removed and sold.
The bazzaz unit has been removed and sold and replaced with a flash and woolich race package.
The oem headers have been pulled off the bike and had the ''cat'' drilled/basked/hammered out of them then re fitted with new gaskets.

bikes still in a sorry state ready for the valve clearances to be done. i pulled the valve cover a few days ago with good intentions on doing them but lost all will to live and put the cover back on...

File_002 (2).jpeg

File_003 (2).jpeg

here's the headers with cat removed. (remains of cat in bag next to it)

File_001 (2).jpeg

also got a pit limiter button for the woolich stuff but didn't want to mount it anywhere so i decided to trace back the main beam switch from the left switch gear and use that for the pit limiter. just pulled them out of the connector block and used a terminal block to connect the wires from the limiter. done it this way so it can all be out back to stock if needs be.

File_007.jpeg

also a shot of the lovely cams/carriers. notice the oil on top of the carriers. its 800 miles old and still as clear as the day it went in.

File_004 (2).jpeg

Attachments

• File_005.jpeg
    File_005.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 98
  • File_006.jpeg
    File_006.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 107
  • File_008.jpeg
    File_008.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 135

Hel

RMS Regular
Keep an eye out for fork internas and shock - made a big difference for me :grinning:

I'd recommend going to the newcomerr race days as its alot of track time and itll build you up and if you do decide to dip your toe later in the year then you can get your license rather than wait another year.

Best of luck

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Keep an eye out for fork internas and shock - made a big difference for me :grinning:

I'd recommend going to the newcomerr race days as its alot of track time and itll build you up and if you do decide to dip your toe later in the year then you can get your license rather than wait another year.

Best of luck

to be fair i doubt il get the time to get my licence this year. i'm in england for one of the seminar days and possibly in rome for one of the ontrack days so it's not looking good.

Hel

RMS Regular
You only need to do one seminar day - theyre alll the same and only 2 out of 3 on track days :grinning:

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
You only need to do one seminar day - theyre alll the same and only 2 out of 3 on track days :grinning:
aghh that's good to know. dates i have are 18th feb, 25th feb and 5th march those are the days on track i believe 2 at b-court and last one at kirky.
and the seminar day is the 15th jan to?

banksy6118

RMS Regular
OP
banksy6118
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Got both of those buddy. actually spoke to john atcheson earlier and he said the seminars starting the 15th are for licence renewals and that the same seminars will be held at the school days at bishop's court and kirky. basically said i didn't need to go to that one only the days at track and attend their seminars

Hel

RMS Regular
I was always B&D but im living abroad now. Can certainly help you get any info/contacts you need

yvo6

RMS Regular
Details of next B&D meeting:-

Our first Club meeting of 2017 will be held on Monday 9 January at 8 pm at Harland & Wolff Staff Club, Dundela Avenue, Holywood Road, East Belfast (opposite Strandtown Police Station).

All members are encouraged to attend our Club meetings, new members, competing or non competing, are always welcome.

Membership forms can be downloaded here :-

http://www.belfastanddistrictmotorclub.co.uk/…/BDmembership…

Club meetings are normally every 2nd Monday of each month.

http://www.belfastanddistrictmotorclub.co.uk/
Belfast & District Motor Club Ltd | Facebook

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.