Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I keep a hard drive where I try and store most days driving. Just in case something ever does pop up, or some silly nonsense arrives through the door.

Dont always remember to save the stuff though, but as I'm on the road many many hours daily....it's worth doing.

NotKG

Banned
by any chance was there anyone on here happened to stop at a dee street accident a few months ago with a merc vs transit van and have it on cam for the police. ?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Do any dash cameras have a function to automatically save following an impact? Are they all reliant on the driver hitting the save button following an accident?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Do any dash cameras have a function to automatically save following an impact? Are they all reliant on the driver hitting the save button following an accident?

I have the nextbase 412gw that does in the case of an accident
Not sure if they all do though

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Pretty much every proper dash cam will 'auto lock' the video if involved in a crash and the function is turned on.

Personally I keep the G sensor turned off as with the standard of the roads hitting a pothole can result in the video being locked and before you know it you've a memory card full of you hitting potholes (I had this exact scenario when I had a Clio RS200 with cup pack).

I just run with a big memory card now so if anything happens it would be days before it's recorded over if I forget to either a) hit the lock button or b) copy the video to my computer.

NotKG

Banned
i'v a 32gb card in, few run a bigger card in the under £50 camera range. even the nextbase £99 only runs a 32gb. i'v used a 64 gb in my one and it just failed after 5 mins and said no card.
it's only 4-5 hrs on a 32gb. on a loop, useless if someone blames you for something happene a week ago. they really need to step up storage issues. i'd like the option to plug in a 1 or 2 TB
turning off audio does very little, but i like it on. proves you weren't argueing pre accident with the wife or were on a call.
g sensor is off, last accident where i was hit, the screen broke, and the cam fell and unplugged itself and shut down 30 seconds later.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Yes and no.

My DOD does...and it records the full 5min file that it was activated within. SO if it was activated at 2s, then you get the bump and 4m58 therafter

If it was activated at 4m58....clearly there is only 2s left after that so perhaps not so useful.

Same applies to hitting the record button.

My other Dexors cam which I'd say is worse, only seems to allow a 30s save after either button is hit or the g-shock thing is activated.

So nothing prior to the impact would get permanently saved, and potentially a lot after might not too.

SO neither are perfect. Ideally I'd like the file saved that you're currently in, AND the one before and after to ensure the best chance of full coverage and never missing anything.

Hence just having a big card that can save as much as possible all the time is the best bet

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
i'v a 32gb card in, few run a bigger card in the under £50 camera range.

Ive the mini 0806 which had dual card slots. I currently have two 32gb cards in as I had them already and get 4 or so hours on each card I believe. It can however take two 128gb cards according to the manual that came with it. It can be got for around £50 without the GPS part.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
...Almost looks like he might have been over taking the Rav4 or whatever it was?? Is he not on the wrong side of the road as you just see him coming round the corner? also look at the speed difference between the golf and the other car..

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
...Almost looks like he might have been over taking the jeep or whatever it was?? Is he not on the wrong side of the road as you just see him coming round the corner? also look at the speed difference between the golf and the other car..

Was just about to write that.

MKIV Golfs & corners. Ouch.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
definitely looks like he was overtaking there. What a nutball.

Pity the video wasnt better quality to see the look on their face ! Who the **** tries to overtake coming into a corner like that ? And if they couldnt see there was a corner ahead then they should never hold a license for being bloody blind !

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Just checked the notes on the video on youtube

July 2016, Driver charged with Dangerous Driving, Failing to stop and Failing to report. His car was still going. didn't even stop to heck if my partner was OK! Police arrested him the following day as a result of the dash cam footage. Best £50 I even spent. Nextbase 101.

WTF

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Hate seeing dogs on the road.. We've stopped so many times and stuck them in the back of the car + taken them to the vet to get the Microchip scanned. So many people just sail on.