Solar Panels and Home Battery

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Jim what you say makes sense, i don't argue with your logic. On the flip side, i am no conspiracy follower; but i do believe there is an underlying agenda in a lot of 'global' events like this.

KillerJim

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 / TVR
I tend to agree it's not all a strict logical A + B = C with these things.. a fair amount of manipulation occurs for personnel greed.. for sure; that's human nature.. but on larger, industrial sized activities it's more the mechanics of our society, economies, etc. that a few bad actors..

I do plan on putting solar panels and a battery on my new build; subject to costs, etc.. but even if it takes 15 or 20 years to recoup I still rather live knowing I'm using "free"(ish) energy :grinning:

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Friends had a call from start solar cancelling there order. Can't get supply in

When did they order?

I had a chat with them last week and they said its the brackets to hold the panels to the roof they are having problems with. They had them ordered but the supplier has put the order back by 2 months so they are trying to procure them elsewhere in the meantime.

They had 48 inverters held up at the docks, but they have now been released and apparently battery supply is ok.

2 months ago. They have got there refund and going to tye other company. I was happy with there workmanship, but there customer service had gone down the drain. Got too big too quick and can't manage. Poor show.

Still getting pushed back by Start Solar, I sent an email last week asking for an update and got no reply, so rang them this morning to cancel the order.
This should be interesting. I suspect they will dispute dates. My Sales agreement is dated 18th May, date I paid my deposit, but they are claiming the order only went on the system on 16th June.

Have spoken to Kieran at Solar House again (as I had a quote back in May) and am looking to go with him now. What a pfaff this is.

Crxpete

RMS Regular
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
We use several suppliers depending on brand/type/size of PV install, there are some supply chain issues out there with hybrid inverters and some of the bigger stuff but I wouldn’t say we’ve seen anyone being delayed by more than 4 weeks

Ghost

RMS Regular
Still getting pushed back by Start Solar, I sent an email last week asking for an update and got no reply, so rang them this morning to cancel the order.
This should be interesting. I suspect they will dispute dates. My Sales agreement is dated 18th May, date I paid my deposit, but they are claiming the order only went on the system on 16th June.

Have spoken to Kieran at Solar House again (as I had a quote back in May) and am looking to go with him now. What a pfaff this is.
Yes folks going with Kieran too now.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Yes folks going with Kieran too now.
Paid my deposit on Friday, he's hoping to get me a slot next month. Similar system to Start Solar.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Same spec of system, but is coming in a little more expensive. Kieran isn't too far from me so at least I can go and knock his door... :grinning:

Start Solar have my bank details and have agreed a full refund. We'll see how long that takes as the girl I was dealing with is away until the 5th October.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Just as a side note, if you are waiting on Start Solar, it might be worth talking to them about cancelling.
Since i did that on Friday I've had two offers from them to install the panels prior to the rest of the equipment arriving. They'd suggested Monday, which I would never have allowed out of respect and had another call at 8am this morning asking if they could do it today. Seems they actually will do a part install if it keeps you as a customer.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
What’s the average price for this?

I know it depends on how many panels you get etc but a typical house price

PAULW

RMS Regular
roughly 7k solar, 11k with a battery (5kw ish). Will be slightly higher and lower but that's around the ballpark of the figures I was getting.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
What’s the average price for this?

I know it depends on how many panels you get etc but a typical house price
All approx's from spring this year:
2kw - solar array - £2800
3kw - solar array - £3800
4kw - solar array - £4800
Add a 5kw battery +£3000

The solar array included the cost of a hybrid inverter needed for a battery. If you don't want a battery take approx £600 of the array price as a standard inverter is cheaper.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I’ve a quote for £11k for 5KW system with 2 5KW batteries, eddi hot water etc

I had start solar out. They told me I didn’t need a meter/monitor at the main NIE meter unit which is on the house quite a distance from the garage where the panels etc would be.

The hot tub feed is at the meter. I’ve since been told that’s not correct and if it wasn’t monitored it wouldn’t know the hot tub load or the house for that matter so it wouldn’t work properly! It would likely try hot water, charge battery then export rather than feed into the house!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I regret not getting the battery. Over the summer once the tank was up to temperature, we exported so many KWs. We've since put in a pressurised water cylinder which is bigger and takes more power to heat up and with the weather, we aren't exporting much but it's something I would like to add in the future. I wonder is there a way to get the battery to charge overnight during the winter on a E7 tariff or does it just do its own thing?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I regret not getting the battery. Over the summer once the tank was up to temperature, we exported so many KWs. We've since put in a pressurised water cylinder which is bigger and takes more power to heat up and with the weather, we aren't exporting much but it's something I would like to add in the future. I wonder is there a way to get the battery to charge overnight during the winter on a E7 tariff or does it just do its own thing?

It is pretty standard to have the batteries charge over night on E7 or nightshift tariffs (y)

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
What have u heard?

The solar place I'm going to use said they aren't giving you E7 tariffs esp of you have solar already installed.

I can see why they wouldn't want to from their side.

Not sure how true this is but he has no reason to lie as it makes no odds to him what energy tariff im on tbh.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Dirty rats, suppose it’s a killer for the energy companies. Big draw at night rules out solar generation as a source