Will I get clamped?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
bought the audi last friday and as it was from a small dealer it had no tax on it. He gave me a tax applied for disc and stamped it as due to the postal strike the V5 isnt through yet, I also havent received my new insurance cert yet (it was insured on friday).

Now I work around Queens which is warden heaven, will I get clamped for no tax?

Yet again Ive found myself wanting tax but unable to get it due to some external problem.

If its not possible Ill not cry about it but I dont want the car to get clamped or lifted.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'm sure if he was able to take a different car he would have thought of that!

Gaz

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Ive the golf yesterday and today but the missus needs it tomorrow and thursday.

Just phoned home and I have the ins cert now so just waiting on the V5 to come through.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Some student would prob squat over it and take a poo on your drivers seat tho.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
lol.

I think wardens only "report you" for not having tax, i don't think they clamp you straight away. You may get a nice window sticker though. By the time the DVLNI get round to writing to you, you'll probably have already taxed it and made sure it was backdated to cover the period anyway ;)

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
well it will be taxed as soon as I get the V5 which will be this week so Im not trying to scam anyone.

Saw a pic of an Aston getting lifted in the city centre tho, didnt like that!

Marc

RMS Moderator
I think the wellington park is more expensive than that.. thinking about 12 for the day IIC

ricky_t

RMS Regular
Drives
M3Cx
seen cars getting lifted onto the back of DVLNI trucks quite alot up there

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
well it will be taxed as soon as I get the V5 which will be this week so Im not trying to scam anyone.

:confounded:

I'm in exactly the same boat as i'm driving my sisters car that she's just bought and waiting on v5 as insurance has only just arrived. I was also in a similar situation with the M3 a couple of months back waiting on documents to tax it.

I was passing on information / advice that i got directly from the police as i didn't want to get clamped or the car lifted etc.

The bottom line was as long as i backdated the tax then by the time anybody wrote out (worst case scenario) it would already have been taxed to cover that period..... hence the ;) .

It's no scam.............

rybo

RMS Regular
Ring DVLNI and ask them. I've found them helpful with similar queries about re-registering etc.

If you haven't got valid tax on the car, you're committing an offence. If you're reported to DVLNI by traffic attendants or police you'll probably be fined (mitigated penalty) as well as any back tax due. If the wheelclamping unit spot your car it WILL be clamped - no question about that. (I have worked with them on a fe occasions). I don't think you're entitled to drive the car on the road while waiting for documentation coming through.
I'd advise making other arrangements for a few days.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
rybo, no mitigating circumstances given the postal strike?

I could strangle the lazy basterds :mad:

looks like translink for another couple of days then, god its awful :worried:

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
So.. despite having paid for tax from a certain date, due to the time it takes the DVLNI to do their admin and because of the postal strike, you are unable to drive your car during a period which you have actually paid the tax for? Is that right or am I confused here?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I havent paid for tax yet, need the V5 to do that. which is held up in the postal strike.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
If there's the possibility of clamping from a clamping unit then i wouldnt be for trying it, i was just using my car to go to and from work in really and i think the answer i got from the people i spoke to were based on my situation and their "real world" scenario as opposed to the official line.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Soyou are unable to drive your car during a period which you have actually paid the tax for? Is that right or am I confused here?

although as pabs says he hasn't paid for tax yet, the fact is eventually it will have been paid and it WILL be to cover this period where apparently he would be commiting an offence.

I'm still bewildered as to how this is? Surely they should have to prove you had no intention of taxing the car (backdating it etc) or does this not make sense to anyone else?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.