2001 clio 1.2 16v not starting

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

swervygerdy

RMS Regular
Evening

Just wondering if anyone can diagnose a fault on a clio 1.2 16v. A friend called saying that her car would'nt start. I figured flat battery, so tried jump starting it. It turned over briefly and then stopped sundenly - (kinda like a stuck starter mortor??).
I let the battery charge for bit and then tried it again, it fired up ok, but sounded real roungh, knocking quite badly.I turned it off and am now wondering was it the timing belt. Needless to say, im afraid to drive it!
Only 35,000 on the car.

Any idea's? or similar problems?

Thanks

Gerdy

Dee

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra GSI/Corol
flywheel sensors give bother on these..tho shudnt cut out..would normaly keep turning but not fire!Another thing is the key looses its code if the car is not getting much use.could be a case of needing the key re coded

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
no idea mate my mr2 was doing the same thing about 2 weeks ago and it was the timing belt but there could be more reasons. What about fuel starvation or a dodgy dizzy cap or rotor ??

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
open the oil cover and turn the engine over

if you can see the cams moving, timing belt is in tact

then look at what steven says above

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
chris if he thinks the timing belt is gone should he continue to try to turn the engine over or would this not lead to possible damage ? Surely a visual on the belt would be where to start after checking the electricals as mentioned above

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
most clios have a bollocks to get off cover over the timing belt

if the belts already broken the valves will be bent and nothing will turn anyway

when i say turn it over, i mean literally 2seconds!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Would a bolloxed engine not fire up a light too? :p

Gaz

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Hope you get it fixed alright, this could tarnish renaults excellent reliability record :confounded:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.