RNS-E Options

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tim

RMS Regular
I've finally had enough and want to be able to play more than the 6 CD's (for the past 3 years that I've never changed..)

What's my options?

Current Headunit

IMG_8192.jpg

My car also has

Phone Preparation (currently removed see holes)
Factory Bluetooth (never use it)

I'd love

Music over Bluetooth (No Wires)
Reversing Camera (Option to Add later)
Sat-Nav I suppose better work too, though I won't be using it.

Which RNS-E do I need and anything else to get my iPhone 6 playing in car?

Darren91

RMS Regular
To do it properly you would want a 193 LED RNSE out of an Exeo, Audi Music Interface, a Viseeo Tune2Air for streaming and a lot of £.

Reversing camera can either be done OEM (preferred) using a R8 RVC controller and wiring or do it completely aftermarket.

Darren91

RMS Regular
You're talking £4-500 for the 8E fascia'd 193 unit, another £150-200 for the AMI and another £50 or so for a glovebox. The Tune2Air is I think £80.

A R8 RVC controller is £200, the wiring set pre made is £60, the camera itself another £60.

I only fit OEM items as aftermarket stuff doesn't entertain me in the slightest.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
You could get a Pioneer for about £300 second hand that does the above, but its just not the same!

Reactions: tim

tim

RMS Regular
OP
T
No I'm not interested in an aftermarket solution, hence suffered it until now.

Why are some RNS-E's £350 and some £850 I suppose I am asking

And what's an AMI and why do I need a glovebox?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
You want an RNS with a Media button, they are the later 193 units. The earlier 192 has a CD/TV button and isn't compatible with AMI.

AMI is Audi Music Interface which is basically a dock for your iPod/usb.

Darren91

RMS Regular
AMI is Audi Music Interface, this allows iPod/USB integration ( Audi - Glossary - Audi music interface ) to the car's headunit.

You need a later 193 LED RNSE which is the only version to support AMI. As you have a 8E, the fascia and cage design is different to the more common 8P A3 shaped headunit, thankfully you can purchase one out of a Seat Exeo which will fit straight in. People have converted 8P to 8E fascias but I personally wouldn't undertake the task.

Just watch as there are some Exeo units listed as the older 192 product code and the odd chancer will add a media button fascia to a 192 unit.

You would need something like this GENUINE AUDI A4 S4 RS4 RNSE-PU SAT NAV NAVIGATION RADIO 8P0035193A 2014

You need a new glovebox (unless you have a CD changer fitted already) as this is where the AMI unit lives in the single-din slot.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What would that one be out of? I didn't think the 193 ever came in a B7.

Darren91

RMS Regular
The part number of 8E0035193A on the unit is correct, it's an early Exeo unit before they changed to a Seat part number.

tim

RMS Regular
OP
T
@Darren91 looking at the AMI, it's a cable connection in the Glovebox?

Not what I had in mind for the hassle

tim

RMS Regular
OP
T
Ok just watched Tune2Air video, it's simply a dongle.

What about the AMI then, what part numbers do I need for my B7?

tim

RMS Regular
OP
T
Do I need the RNS-E then or can I just buy the AMI + Tune2Air?

Just spent 2k on the car recently, trying to minimise the damage to wallet further..

BigMick

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Talking about aftermarket units, I installed that unit in a Golf 2 years ago, was Kenwood, but especially made for VW/Audi...so fitting was perfect.
Was a great unit, had everything you might want. Was pricey though.

6.jpg

Darren91

RMS Regular
Talking about aftermarket units, I installed that unit in a Golf 2 years ago, was Kenwood, but especially made for VW/Audi...so fitting was perfect.
Was a great unit, had everything you might want. Was pricey though.

6.jpg

Nothing compares to the design of OE though imo.

BigMick

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Nothing compares to the design of OE though imo.

Yes agreed usually but in this instance, the Kenwood radio was made to OE specifications and look and feel.

Here is the OE radio before I took it out

1.jpg

tim

RMS Regular
OP
T
Dude, I've already said I'm not interested in aftermarket solution.

No one was talking about it, you simply brought it up

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.