W210 E55 AMG - 5.4 V8 weekend bus!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
How reliable are they? I was looking at C43's and C55's last night and any with lowish miles are dear enough.

More reliable than an '05 X5! :p

Theres not a pile to go wrong apart from small things and rust. You do see E55s regularly with over 150k on them!

The W210 E55s seemed to be a good bit cheaper than the C's, though they are steadily rising.

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
More reliable than an '05 X5! :p

Theres not a pile to go wrong apart from small things and rust. You do see E55s regularly with over 150k on them!

The W210 E55s seemed to be a good bit cheaper than the C's, though they are steadily rising.

150k is nothing to a late 90's German engine. They were all notoriously over-engineered

I know of an E55 locally with 260k +

It's for sale too!

st6phen

RMS Regular
Drives
anything MOT'd
Bit of a thread hijack, but thought id ad mine! Really must get her out and on the road again
amg2.JPG

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
image.jpeg

Added a Shark fin to over my wonky broken Phone aerial, but right now, I have quite a lot of hatred for how it looks, so haven't imaged it. I will likely get another neater one at some point so this one will do in the meantime

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
Bravo sir, but get an x pipe as well.
Brrrrraaaaapppppppp

I had tried to weigh up X pipe vs H pipe etc and the sound characteristics of both, but when you think about it, my two pipes run into just one common AMG box at the rear to equalise pulses, so I'm not sure it's as important as a twin exit twin pipe car.

Sounds nice and subdued when cruising and bassy AMG V8 when on the pull! I like it, hasn't ruined the comfy waftness!

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
Happy-chops, off on a family road-trip, wouldn't have worked if I hadda went for a Boxster (which is still on the bucket list)...

image.jpeg

Not bad economy on the M1 cruise! At 59.9ppl, that equates to 51mpg on the pocket
image.jpeg

That was 3 adults, 2 kids in child seats, a pram, & 5 suit cases, all in comfort!

Last edited:

J-VW

RMS Regular
I actually can't believe you sold the 36. They're really on the up now! Hopefully the V8's will follow...

Loss of storage forced me to or I'd still have it Kev! Wasn't the best example the old tin worm was starting to set in, rare big thing all the same

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
Loss of storage forced me to or I'd still have it Kev! Wasn't the best example the old tin worm was starting to set in, rare big thing all the same

Happens them all.
I'm going to put 2 rear arches in this, more pre-emptive prevention than necessity, but the rest of the car is surprisingly clean, above and below, so it's worth doing. Going by the old invoices, the rest of the car has been repainted a time or two and it's fairly bought it a new lease of life.

While rust is devouring the rest of the W210's, mine shouldn't really depreciate (famous last words...).

KevM

RMS Regular
OP
KevM
I had a Check Engine Light on when the car arrived. I fixed a vacuum hose (2 min job) which I reckoned was the culprit but had to start the car from cold a few times to make sure it didn't fault & the light wasn't coming back, & it hasn't! :grinning:

Here is my last start-up from the weekend, complete with a few pops & bangs!

:grinning:

Last edited:

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
have to say I love this! always loved w210's on monoblocks! wish i could find a set for my c140!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.