Are sports bikes too fast?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I know they brought in new requirements but as yet haven't been able to make head nor tail of it - as I'm sure they'd love me to take all sorts of tests for the money involved

At 27 you're sorted mate.

Do theory test

Do cbt, which will take half a day, longer if you stay on and practice for the next part.

Then off road test, pass that and then on road test. I had one lesson before each of the two tests and passed no bother.

All in including test fees and theory and bike hire for tests etc it cost me £475 I think it was. And I blitzed it and got cancellations for midweek so had it all done in 9 days.

Best bit is at your age when you pass you can jump on any size bike and not restricted to a certain bhp anymore. Though they did send my license back to me once I'd had the bike part added and told me to display R plates.......

Reactions: Ben

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I rode a Triton years ago, first thing the owner said was its worth a fortune but rake the shiite out of it.
Very heavy bikes but once I got used to it I got faster and faster then a wee scare and I went back at 40.
Thats why all my bikes are from the early 80's.

Funny you bring up the likes of the Triton, classic stuff I wouldn't have any issue jumping on and going for a ride, there's a different mentality on a classic I think, for me anyway.

I've actually been on a Brough Superior, few Velocette's, an AJS, and god knows how many other classic and vintage bikes too, but only moving them around.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
9 days is some going!

Lol got lucky with cancellations and had to be pretty flexible so did theory in portadown, cbt in Lisburn, off-road in mallusk and on road in Armagh!

All done through Roly and Hugh who work as McCallens Training Academy, brilliant instructors

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
At 27 you're sorted mate.

Do theory test

Do cbt, which will take half a day, longer if you stay on and practice for the next part.

Then off road test, pass that and then on road test. I had one lesson before each of the two tests and passed no bother.

All in including test fees and theory and bike hire for tests etc it cost me £475 I think it was. And I blitzed it and got cancellations for midweek so had it all done in 9 days.

Best bit is at your age when you pass you can jump on any size bike and not restricted to a certain bhp anymore. Though they did send my license back to me once I'd had the bike part added and told me to display R plates.......

Cheers bud that's what I needed to find out - 475 all in isn't bad at all. I've been passing all sorts of driving tests and certificates over the years and imagine this will be the most challenging / danger-wise, but hopefully the 1st time passing streak continues.

How long for the r-plates once everything's completed then - just 1 year like cars?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Cheers bud that's what I needed to find out - 475 all in isn't bad at all. I've been passing all sorts of driving tests and certificates over the years and imagine this will be the most challenging / danger-wise, but hopefully the 1st time passing streak continues.

How long for the r-plates once everything's completed then - just 1 year like cars?

Eh....yeah.....I think so lol

I passed my test in Scotland and never had to display R plates then, so I don't see why 15 years later I should display them now. Plus being able to do 60/70mph in a car and then jumping on a bike and being restricted to 45mph doesn't make sense to me, plus IMO it's dangerous.

So for them reasons, no R plates are going near my bike.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I've never heard of a single biker dispalying R plates. Or ever seen a bike with them on.
Likewise HGV's. I was under the impression that you only ever do 1 R period. I was long out of my 2yr restriction* on bike before I passed car test, never had R's on either

*2005 bike test and 2010 car test

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I've never heard of a single biker dispalying R plates. Or ever seen a bike with them on.

I actually saw one guy last time I was home wobbling down the road on his way to Newcastle one Sunday with an R plate below his number plate lol. Can only guess he hadn't driven cars before and was quite new to the road.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Funny you bring up the likes of the Triton, classic stuff I wouldn't have any issue jumping on and going for a ride, there's a different mentality on a classic I think, for me anyway.

I've actually been on a Brough Superior, few Velocette's, an AJS, and god knows how many other classic and vintage bikes too, but only moving them around.
I had always ridden japanese 2 strokes, the Triton was a big shock to the system. The RD`s you rung their necks but the big British bikes were all torque and for a you 18 year old was hard to get used to. Plus the left foot braking. :scream: a few scary moments.......

Dave..

RMS Regular
I actually saw one guy last time I was home wobbling down the road on his way to Newcastle one Sunday with an R plate below his number plate lol. Can only guess he hadn't driven cars before and was quite new to the road.
Wrap them round your front fork.
I knew a few guys who met their maker on the Banbridge to Newcastle road, everyone thought they were Barry Sheene.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I hope to do my test next year. I have no interest in a sports bike let a lone a 1000cc bike. Love older bikes and cafe racer styled ones. After a go on a 125 I think a bike with 40bhp would do me rightly. Have a hankering for a Royal Enfield, lol.

NotKG

Banned
they should bring back 250cc learner regulations, 125's are useless. i applied for my test in the centre and had the test done 2 or 3 days later, but if riding up a street and turning and coming back down was a test, i was still worried i'd fail. lol
no learning with a instructorback then, if there was, i never heard of any,,,,,
what is all this rubbish nowadays,, nothing but a money racket.

Dave..

RMS Regular
they should bring back 250cc learner regulations, 125's are useless. i applied for my test in the centre and had the test done 2 or 3 days later, but if riding up a street and turning and coming back down was a test, i was still worried i'd fail. lol
no learning with a instructorback then, if there was, i never heard of any,,,,,
what is all this rubbish nowadays,, nothing but a money racket.
You and me both. I started on a ap50 in 1978 and then did my test on an x5 :grinning: with pipes on it.
Some racket bouncing of the streets.

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
Had a nosey at the various tests videos examples on YouTube yesterday - they seem pretty straight-forward, but of course says the man only been on 2 wheels by cycling

Dave..

RMS Regular
Had a nosey at the various tests videos examples on YouTube yesterday - they seem pretty straight-forward, but of course says the man only been on 2 wheels by cycling
Take your time, its not a race :grinning:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

If you can ride a pushbike then that's a good start.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If MSM means mirror signal manoeuvre, then forget the mirrror. It's all about turning your head.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I have never heard of it?
"
A lifesaver is when you turn your head to see what is outside your peripheral vision when you are riding a motorbike or driving a car or heavy vehicle, and it is used immediately before you make a turn to the left or right, change lanes or begin an overtaking manoeuvre. While the term is predominantly used when riding a motorbike, the head check itself is important when riding or driving any kind of vehicle.

You can help maintain an awareness of the traffic that is around you by regularly taking quick glances in your mirrors and occasionally turning your head to see if anything has already crept into your blind spot; a lifesaver glance or head check isn't just something that you would do immediately before a manoeuvre."

I'm 99% sure it was and is still part of the test. I habitually do it when cycling, and I would use the chance (when stationary at lights or junctions) to let any traffic behind me know which way I'm turning

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.