vw passat upgrade - RCD 310?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
How does anyone rate the upgrade units for the vw's? I have a 2007 passat that I want to upgrade the stereo on but just to something better in the OEM range. Saw the rcd310 seems pretty decent for a standard unit.

has it got DAB and bluetooth? anyone any views? not keen on those chinese units that i saw people recommend on here.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Bluetooth is a separate module in all the VW units.

Some 310's had DAB built in, but not all.

Depending on what age your car is you may need a new canbus gateway too or you'll suffer from battery drain.

What about an RNS510? Or more than you are lining to spend?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
i dont mind, but just didnt think i needed to go that far with it.

is it that much of a better unit? seems to be so many of those chinese knock offs. i liked the idea of DAB radio

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I have one of the DAB versions of the 510 for sale ;).

All depends what you want in a unit really. I think it's the best OEM head unit I've ever used, I've had loads of them over the years and have 1 in our CC too.

But if you don't need the extra features then the 310 doe what you want.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
and how much , dare i ask, is the 510??

i like the look of the 510 but i dont need the navigation to work though. Cant beat the phone these days for sat nav in the car

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
You can, the Nav of a 510 beats that of a phone :p.

I've it up for £550.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
oof, bit more than I would like to spend to be honest. I have a parrat ck3100 i can add into the car for the sake of a lead.

thats a lot of dough for an OEM unit, but granted it looks good. Ill keep an eye on the bay for one and see what comes up, or just settle for a 310 and get a bluetooth module added.

andy_b

RMS Regular
Instead or creating a new thread and @Lyons is already on this one, what kind of unit is the rcd510, can be got cheap enough 2nd hand without dab, but can u add the likes of aux or ipod to them, considered the rns unit but can't justify the price for all ill use it for

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeh you can add MDI (aux/iPod) to them, but again I honestly wouldn't waste my money on one over a DAB 310. The screen resolution is crap and the screen is really the only difference over a 310!

markmeus

RMS Regular
Yeah you'd be safer with a RNS310/315 - the smaller 5" screen has the same 400 x 240 pixel resolution as the 6.5" screen on the RCD510 - only the RNS510 has the 800 x 480 screen.

With the 310/315 you get built in aux but would need MDI for iPod - on the 315 you'll also get built in bluetooth audio streaming.

andy_b

RMS Regular
The only reason I'm considering one over the 310 is it looks better..as long as MDI is available I'm not to bothered about anything else..does the 310 have canbus issues likes the rcd? .and seen a few units for sale needing code, is that an expensive handling?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.