Action camera's............any knowledge??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Alright guys,

Been considering an action cam for a while and I know the dogs wotsits is the gopro but at approx £280 + for a hero4 silver, im wondering what other good alternatives are there?

I dont wanna fork out massive money with the chance of not using it regularly, hence thinking an alternative.

So i've seen sjcams nearly all models £100 and under...........like the look of the m20, small compact, comes with loads of accessories. The main gripe about sjcams is the mic but to be honest i'll prob use it whilst in the waterproof case 95% of the time so not too bothered. From what i have found on youtube etc the vid quality seems pretty good.

I have no clue about lens, fps, chip-sets and all that techy stuff so im hoping someone on here can shed more light on the likes of the sjcam m20.

cheers

genman

G
M20...crap battery life...not even 2 hours and whats with that price....at that money i'd go with a brand name like Drift which aren't much more.
If your looking to use a helmet mic then thats going to cost.
I've the basic Drift @£100.. does full HD, great picture quality and has a handy remote control add on available.
Many though find the SJ4000 more than good enough and there are loads of good quality videos taken by them online....only negative i've noticed is the colour looks a bit washed out.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
M20...crap battery life...not even 2 hours and whats with that price....at that money i'd go with a brand name like Drift which aren't much more.
If your looking to use a helmet mic then thats going to cost.
I've the basic Drift @£100.. does full HD, great picture quality and has a handy remote control add on available.
Many though find the SJ4000 more than good enough and there are loads of good quality videos taken by them online....only negative i've noticed is the colour looks a bit washed out.

Battery life on gopro is sub 2 hours. They say 1hr 30 with 1080p at 30fps, and that drops when u select 60fps. The m20 is 1hr 10 at 1080p at 60fps so it's not much different and the batteries for m20 are only about 15 quid for two. The m20 is an upgrade to SJ4000 according to sjcam site.

Will have a look at drift cameras though cheers.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
I take it ur drift is the stealth 2? It's says Waterproof hatch come standard..... So is it fully waterproof?

Cheers

genman

G
mine is the stealth 2... i'd say splash proof rather than fully waterproof but there is a case available.
Battery does last 2+ hrs and thats good enough for a 32gb card@1080p
Sound on a bike if its in the airflow is not great...picks up lots of wind blast.
I prefer the older larger models if im honest...i like the idea of swapping out a battery rather than recharging and you can't charge is in use as it exposes the internals if it rains etc.
Also has no option for an external mic
Its small, compact enough to easily stick in your pocket when getting off the bike and overall works well, the lens rotate feature is very handy... i got mine 2nd hand for about 1/2 price

SJ8000 is out as well...features the same as the M20 but in the 4000's case

Sharkey

RMS Regular
The hero 4 session is now down to £169. The hero 5 session is coming out soon i think. Considering the 4 session myself.

NotKG

Banned
i'v a ghost s, absolutely the dogs danglies. just watch barron von grumble on you tube, comes with remote, and you can plug a booster battery in, if you have it on your lid, lead and battery into a coat pocket.
only downside, is it needs about a 3amp usb charger to charge it overnight, off a wee 500ma phone one takes for ever and a day.
it sucks diesel power wise

i charge mine off a jump starter battery booster box, and its about 4 hrs.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
cheers for all the input folks. ended up going for hero 4 silver. Got it at good money once hero 5 was released. Very happy with it.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
just a quick bump.

Was looking a cheapish action cam for holidays that we can use in the water parks and/or in the theme parks.

Would like it to have WiFi as I could use it in class to display work or project demonstrations to the board.

Don't want to spend a fortune.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.