Aluminium Staining

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The side steps on the X5 have these little spot marks. Tar and glue remover takes a lot of it away but not completely. Is there anything that would banish all traces?

CE59FB11-2A28-48D6-8D23-982BA29E3CB9_zpsyzp7j3dt.jpg

Reactions: IL

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Thanks Andy. "You get it in the pound shops" is music to my ears :p.

Just remembered about Stone Brite, I'll maybe try it first. @Big Pimp would it be safe enough/any use in this instance?

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I've been cleaning all sorts of stuff with my tub of Cookware Cleaner. It is actually astonishing lol. The biggest surprise was the black neglected pvc door and window frames that came up like new and for removing sticky tape type residue from stuff without a second though. Also good for exhaust tips. I'd liken it to a tub of solidified brasso.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Thanks Andy. "You get it in the pound shops" is music to my ears :p.

Just remembered about Stone Brite, I'll maybe try it first. @Big Pimp would it be safe enough/any use in this instance?
absolutely mate...

what i'd recommend though is cleaning the steps first with a bit of detergent - articulate or whatever you have to clean it first.

rinse well off, and on the already wet steps, pour some ultrabrite on, and brush with a soft paint brush. I would try it at a 50% strength first as i dont think you'd need it much stronger. rinse off and do not allow to dry in. repeat if necessary.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Autosmart Triple X would clean that up as well, although I'd imagine it is something similar to the stonebrite you mentioned.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
absolutely mate...

what i'd recommend though is cleaning the steps first with a bit of detergent - articulate or whatever you have to clean it first.

rinse well off, and on the already wet steps, pour some ultrabrite on, and brush with a soft paint brush. I would try it at a 50% strength first as i dont think you'd need it much stronger. rinse off and do not allow to dry in. repeat if necessary.

I'd go a fair bit weaker than 50% dude

I have used it a fair bit on stuff that's non-critical in the looks dept and it will turn it milky white if left too long or rubbed too hard. It will remove the stuff though.

Alternatively, whip them off, bring them down and we can given them a brushed finish then send to get anodised so they stay good

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
@PeteMoore where can you get stuff anodised? I need some black window trims anodised but was under the belief it couldn't be done anymore since REACH legislation came into effect and anodising as a process couldn't comply.

brendy

RMS Regular
The side steps on the X5 have these little spot marks. Tar and glue remover takes a lot of it away but not completely. Is there anything that would banish all traces?

CE59FB11-2A28-48D6-8D23-982BA29E3CB9_zpsyzp7j3dt.jpg
I tried many things but failed as it seems the alu is coated and it happens beneath the coat so you can use plenty of chemicals and rub all you want but it wont come off.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I'd go a fair bit weaker than 50% dude

I have used it a fair bit on stuff that's non-critical in the looks dept and it will turn it milky white if left too long or rubbed too hard. It will remove the stuff though.

Alternatively, whip them off, bring them down and we can given them a brushed finish then send to get anodised so they stay good
Good advice there mate.

@Lyons - do as Pete says. Try at 10% strength

Boksic

RMS Regular
If what @brendy is saying is the case, just rub it down with a scotch brite pad or similar and leave it as a brushed aluminium effect, coat it in a good wax after and it'll be 100%
Will cost you nearly nothing too which given the amount of jokes about you being miserable I've seen will suit grand!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.