WTD Mini Cooper S 03/04

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

simy

RMS Regular
download.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Good man, thanks - what's the best way to check the cam cover gasket?

Have a look round the engine and under the car. It should be pretty obvious if it's leaking. Crank shaft position sensor can leak too and it's a bit more difficult to change.

Check bottoms of doors, boot lid and under the rubber door seals for rust. Front arm bushes are quite hard to change, so listen out for clunks or buy one that's had them done (or even better, polybushed) recently. As said the exhausts rot (excuse to get a Miltek) and the brake lines are at the age now that they can rot on them too. If you can, go for a well looked after facelift (July 04 on) as there was a bit more power, lots of niggles were ironed out, better built and spec (e.g LSD) and if it's an original car with FSH it will have 12yr corrosion warranty remaining, which so far has proven pretty useful for me!

Aside from a timing chain tensioner (£20 ish and about 20 mins to change) and warranty work (new door, new boot lid and sill edges sealed and repainted) mine has been absolutely flawless over the past year *touch wood*.

They really are great craic. The whine of the 'charger and then a huge crack out of the miltek on every gear shift and you can really throw them round a bend. With a bit of tuning can be decently quick too.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Clutch is a pain in the hole to do so check if it's had one already. The rest of the common issues have already been covered.

I've had this argument with loads of people. I done 1 last year without lifting the box right out of the car and it wasn't hard work. In fairness, I had it on the ramp and had it at a decent height to be able to access the top and bottom at once, but it wasn't a big job.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've had this argument with loads of people. I done 1 last year without lifting the box right out of the car and it wasn't hard work. In fairness, I had it on the ramp and had it at a decent height to be able to access the top and bottom at once, but it wasn't a big job.

I always thought it was a nightmare too. Good to know!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Potentially sorted.

Any milltek exhausts or similar for sale locally?

Try carparts4less and use a money off code. Were really good value last time I checked.

You'll need to dig around to find it on there but will be worth it!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wtf?

Search for part number 912123191

Then a wee offer code and should be around £400 ish delivered, which is cheap enough for one.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.