A true Diesel GTi? Volkswagen Golf GTD Proves its Worth

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On the RMS Blog: VW arguably started the hot diesel hatch trend back with the first generation Golf GTD back in the early '80s, in an attempt to blend specification, looks and economy into one package.  Back then they certainly didn't have the performance of the petrol cars, but five generations of Golf later, and things have moved on considerably.

Before we delve into this latest Golf GTD, we need to look at it's inspiration, the GTi. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
They've definitely nailed the styling on this model of Golfs, they look great in both hatch and estate guise.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Please capitalize the i. It's not a Peugeot.

Hold the phone...Somebody better alert VW that Peugeot have been secretly making the Golf.

IMG.jpg

50e244952f4b4.jpg

golfgti_1.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Agreed, he had to be proven wrong though!

The Mk7 estate is a fantastic all rounder, big fan of the GTD and R variants.

I could have gone a bit beardy on a couple of the points in the article myself, but refrained :innocent:.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
@Lyons I understand correcting it but it's bringing it up in the first place. **** like that wrecks my head about the car/forum scene now.

Same here about a few points in the article but writing features myself I'm sure it's not the first thing I ever got wrong lol.

The GTDs get a rave review indeed. I'd say with a simple map they'd destroy my car nevermind the weight difference. Wonder what would sound nicer tho :laughing:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
lol :grinning:

I see not much has changed in the VAG scene.

My very first VW experience was being accosted in a carpark and asked which GTI club in NI I support. It was a bit like being asked if I supported Rangers or Celtic? And when I said 'neither' the fella guffawed like I was a complete tool. I still don't get it.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Who gives a ****? When did everyone turn into a pedantic **** who'd rather cry about the capitalisation on a letter than work on their car.

On a proper note. Excellent read @Graham but I'll stick to my petrol vR6 :p

I seen a mk3 vr6 recently round sandyknowes tanking it onto the M2, sounded absolutely glorious (y)

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Work runs on a US server so everything gets auto'd to the US version.

I hate it!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
BTW I'm sorry all, I had never seen any small i VW literature before, and just assumed it was always like the way it is currently. Please accept my apologies, it seems I've lost the VW Beardness now :oops:

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Retrofit something and all will be forgiven Ben.

On topic, a GTD would make for a cracking car I think. Power looks and economy in one package, red white or grey would be my choice in colour.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
We have one of these as a demo in work, used it recently to run up and down to Dublin airport. Good space and well finished, the panoramic roof in our demo made it a nice place to be. If you do a lot of miles then the GTD is worth it but wick as a manual imo.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.