1995 E34 BMW 525i Sport

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Thought I would put a quick thread up about my car, probably the one car I've had which has had the most work done in the least amount of time too!

It started off all very sensible. Couldn't fault the way the car drove for the mileage (172000) except that within a day of having I went to go home from work, touched the clutch pedal and bang, straight to the floor. One new slave cylinder later and it was sorted.
12212179_10206578565357543_401768398_n%201.jpg

12208048_10206578565477546_493653446_n.jpg

As it was after giving it a quick clean in my old work.

As I was to take the car with me for my new job and relocation the plan had been to just clean it and give it a good service.
Things got out of hand, fast.
20151122_122358.jpg

I had a multitude of parts sitting for my E28, and had a bit of a change of plans meaning that the air kit was surplus to requirements, as were my now much too wide AC Schnitzer Type 2 splits that I had made too wide due to a measuring cock up when ordering my new radinox dishes. Turns out they fit an E34 perfectly (in my opinion). Theyre the right period for the car, much more so than they were for the E28 anyway!
As we were to a very tight timeline I didn't really take many photos.

I must say the Airlift kit was nice to work with, due to it being a universal kit there was a good bit of fabrication and measuring to do, so I have to thank my dad for putting up with me when we had the front struts done,and decided that they need a further 3 inches out of them! It has been flawless so far for driving about, when aired out on the standard wheels it rests on the front inner arches. I couldn't get over how well it sat on the Schnitzers when first aired out, without the need for very stretched tyres too!
Massively impressed with how it drives too, thought the air would be a bit boaty, but it is much better than the standard suspension as far as I have experienced so far.
Pretty much all the photos I have of it with the nice wheels on!
P1020424.jpg

12548937_10206953464169779_6274962853656420746_n.jpg

I took a chance and applied to Players Classic show before new years and got word back yesterday, car has been approved.
So I now have the pressure back on to do various bits and pieces to this. First thing will likely be the wheels getting redone as the centre caps are still silver, and parts of the centres have flaked, so thinking of keeping a similar colour, but probably steel grey.
The front end needs repainted to sort out the stone chips and I really want to find a new interior, preferably grey leather, electric.
I also plan to change the exhaust, and some other bits and pieces. Will probably sporadically update the thread!

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Must've been yourself and your dad I saw in A1 tyres a while back as can't be too many sets of those wheels in the north. Love this shape of 5series. Remember my dad having one when I was younger- really does look the part! Health to modify & enjoy!

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Thanks guys!
@Bono872 yep that would've been us, was that you with the nice 1552 wheels?
Forgot to mention the dishes were a ballache to get valves on, thought pencil valves would have done, but the holes were an in between size so had to get them home to get them drilled out further.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Cool. Older bmw's are proper cars.

Dad used to have a 1988 525i auto and as a kid it made me moist hearing the straight 6 kick down and Rev out.

gaz 300

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM Nissan300ZX
So nice to see another E34 on the road. Mine is about to turn 70,000 miles and I seldom see any driving about the Belfast area. Look after it as a late model 525 sport is very rare.

pablo

RMS Moderator
that looks really well, air seems to be the way to go now if you want super lows but practicality too. And some handling :grinning:

kristen

RMS Regular
Drives
Meganers250
class, my dad had one of these back in the day and had it mapped by Bavarian went well lol many memories as a young lad in his lol

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Cheers guys!

@MichaelMc wheres that!? Boucher?

@Eager yea I can't get over how well this one sounds for a standard exhaust, it had an ITG filter on it when I got it, we changed it to a k and n with a bit of a home made housing made out of Triumph 2.5 pi bits. Sits that bit higher now and still goes and sounds well! My E28 had a stainless exhaust, sounded unreal on kickdown too.

Cheers @gaz 300 this one won't be about Belfast much unfortunately, but good to hear theres a few about yet!

Yea @pablo in my opinion this would be a better than a lot of coilovers barring top notch stuff, especially for the road. Still the E28 will be going coilovers.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
That is super. My dad had a 525 years ago and I loved it. Rare sight on the road. Nice to see some still about

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
12809947_10207296222458522_1861236627_o.jpg

First 3 of 5 parcels from BMW arrived today, they love to parcel everything separately. All new bumper trims, as whilst what was there was pretty good the new stuff from BMW Classic parts shop wasn't outrageous money so thought it was worthwhile, would like to treat all of this before fitting it in the hope it wont need dressed after every wash if anyone has any suggestions?

Wheels are apart too and the centres are getting blasted before it's all going to the painted to get freshened up.

Numberplates blank is a tad small but I can sort that, if needs be can get the panel the sits below it too.

Small updates but gradually getting to scratch for Dubshed/Players Classic.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Haha, if it wasn't for having the E28 needing a total rebuild and the 205 needing finished I would consider it.

I'd quite like to turbo it Scandinavian style with a turbo the size of a small dog, maybe down the line! Main priority is getting it up to standard for Players Classic in June aesthetically at the minute!

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
So, I've just about recovered from Dubshed and the 2 day prep session for it! I left my work at just before 5pm last wednesday afternoon to make the trip to Wales for the 2:30am ferry to Dublin. Long story short I got home at 7:15am on Thursday morning, got changed and straight to work on the car. It hadn't been washed or cared for at all in its time in Essex and was generally looking a bit rough. Washed it, iron-xed it and clayed it then just a good polish and wax. As luck would have it Friday was a wash out so the majority of this was done under a newly purchased gazebo as the garages were all full at home!

Just a few minor changes, managed to get new Hella smoked headlights and the other lights to match which I think toughen the whole front end up a bit.

12973042_1234371766587950_8155506674808741706_o.jpg

My number plate blank won't work so I will leave that for the time being.

Got the wheel centres painted BMW steel grey and the inner barrels satin black. I definitely prefer the new colour!

e34 2.jpg

The rear reflector thing was put on and I have to say I think it was a good addition

e34.jpg

The photos are very kind to the paintwork, there are a multitude of stonechips everywhere, but then again it has clocked up 175k miles now so I shan't complain too much.

Many thanks to @soupz and @jayme who came up on Thursday evening to mostly supervise and give abuse :p.

Next plans are paintwork and a leather interior and a nice stainless backbox hopefully before Players Classic in June, and some more unique bits which @PeteMoore will likely be tortured with soon enough!