4x4 needed

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
so dad wants to replace his 06 Touareg. It's a 3.0 sport. Getting on now and he wants to change. Needs to pull our boat which with trailer be approaching 2.5-3 ton
Anyone know if newer touraegs will have the prop shaft issue fixed? He has put a few into his current one and can't be bothered with the hassle in the next vehicle.
Not new but fresher than 06. Ideas?

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Not really sure on that. I guess just see what it takes.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Cant see a Freelander being able to tow 3t, you'll be into Discovery territory there.
Discovery is probably the only one I would look at too in that type of 4x4 if you are actually going to use it for more than the groceries!

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Newer Touareg. Interior has been updated from your dads one and the 3.0 262 diesel is superb with the 8 speed box. I think they sorted the prop issues with the new gearbox, tax isn't too bad in them either. My dad has one and you wouldn't know there's a trailer on it while towing and it is a very sharp going big thing.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Cant see a Freelander being able to tow 3t, you'll be into Discovery territory there.
Discovery is probably the only one I would look at too in that type of 4x4 if you are actually going to use it for more than the groceries!
Fair call, yes disco 3 id the machine

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
...If you want unreliability surely?!

Disco 4 or new Touareg for me, or F70.

Depends on budget!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
It's a strange thing that the pulling the boat is twice a year and that's it but needs must and he hates depending on someone else etc.

He's had it 6 or 7 years @saxo_man but fancies a change. It's not unreliable but it's clicking up 140k miles now. He drove a x5 at time of purchase and hated it but it could have been just a worn out dose.

I did mention the newer Touareg but there not a great looking jeep, neither is his current one in my eyes either. But they do pull well. He mentioned a cayenne but I imagine it's all the same underneath

Not exactly sure on the boat weight but it's a 24 odd foot cabin cruiser with a 5 litre v8 and on a very solid twin axle trailer. Certainly in the 2-3ton area

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
The vw will likely only pull 2.5t

Very little stuff out there that will do more.

Check the chassis plate of the trailer as if it is a 3.5t rated trailer then you need a vehicle capable of that reegardless f the ctual weight is only 2T which means more or less a disco or rangie

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
It's going 15 mile twice a year. It would near be cheaper to pay someone to launch it in spring and drag it out in autumn. Than be restricted on what you can buy.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Have a 2015 262 bhp Touareg, have towed upwards of 3 tonne with it and it would pull a house down. Never driven a disco to compare with though. Weight doesn't upset the suspension at all either. Edit: it's 3500kg towing capacity.

Last edited:

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
New Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2009 on, Merc engine, lower tax £285, cheap enough now.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Does anyone know if newer touraegs still eat prop shafts as this is a sticky bit for him to swallow.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Have a 2015 262 bhp Touareg, have towed upwards of 3 tonne with it and it would pull a house down. Never driven a disco to compare with though. Weight doesn't upset the suspension at all either. Edit: it's 3500kg towing capacity.
That's the same one we have, it replaced a disco 4. I'd say the disco would have the edge off road due to the air suspension but everyday the Touareg is a nicer better built car. The disco was very reliable, I think the only thing needed replaced was a sensor on one of the rear bags. Both have towed plant trailers and car trailers and neither were a problem even with a Thwaites dumper on the back.
Both gearboxes are super, the 8 speed Vw box has the edge though and it's cheaper to tax.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
That's the same one we have, it replaced a disco 4. I'd say the disco would have the edge off road due to the air suspension but everyday the Touareg is a nicer better built car. The disco was very reliable, I think the only thing needed replaced was a sensor on one of the rear bags. Both have towed plant trailers and car trailers and neither were a problem even with a Thwaites dumper on the back.
Both gearboxes are super, the 8 speed Vw box has the edge though and it's cheaper to tax.

Love to hear of people doing heavy towing with them - they are very well set-up for it! Interesting you find the VW's gearbox better - I find it a bit clumsy at times, especially if trying to manually downshift it can pause for what feels like an age (I just tow in sport now) or when it doesn't drop into 1st gear unless you fully come to a stop for a second - very annoying with a load on in traffic or at a junction.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.