4x4 needed

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
The vw will likely only pull 2.5t

Very little stuff out there that will do more.

Check the chassis plate of the trailer as if it is a 3.5t rated trailer then you need a vehicle capable of that reegardless f the ctual weight is only 2T which means more or less a disco or rangie

No the Touareg can tow 3.5T. As can Grand Cherokee, Landcruiser Amazon, X5, Q7, ML...plenty of options before going to an oul Landrover :p

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Have a 2015 262 bhp Touareg, have towed upwards of 3 tonne with it and it would pull a house down. Never driven a disco to compare with though. Weight doesn't upset the suspension at all either. Edit: it's 3500kg towing capacity.
Pleasantly shocked to see they do the 3.5t to be fair

However a six year old one, the older gen may not be rated as high?

Sure the first of the new hilux cant even do it, only the seconds or third phase onwards can

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad

However a six year old one, the older gen may not be rated as high?

Sure the first of the new hilux cant even do it, only the seconds or third phase onwards can

Pick-up traditionally were max 2800kg until recently - light back end and leaf springs (never liked them to tow with anyway). Only the latest behemoths can tow 3500kg.

Touareg was always 3500kg from memory.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad

Why? Theyre huge, have 262bhp, 8 speed box and massive brakes!

IMG_8839.JPG

No baw to her

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Why? Theyre huge, have 262bhp, and 8 speed box and massive brakes!
Oh I know that but they would never have entered my head as a proper tow machine like the Land Cruiser or Land Rover stuff

I guess my love of Land Rover gave ne a rose tint lol

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Oh I know that but they would never have entered my head as a proper tow machine like the Land Cruiser or Land Rover stuff

I guess my love of Land Rover gave ne a rose tint lol

They are a bit of an underdog. Crap off road no doubt, but very capable on the tarmac. I generally hate Landrovers lol, though I would like a run in a Disco 4.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Use buy it in Phillips VW? Not many about that colour. I'm averaging 26 mpg!! Short runs, towing and heavy right foot. It is capable of an easy 35 on a long, easy run though.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
So floater the idea of paying someone to do boat duties. But he will still require a 4x4 or something high up anyway. See how it settles with him
He was surprised what the 06 Touareg is still worth too.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
So floater the idea of paying someone to do boat duties. But he will still require a 4x4 or something high up anyway. See how it settles with him

Ill do boat duties ... if I can wear the captains hat sometimes lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

How far is the boat being towed?

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
The vw will likely only pull 2.5t

Very little stuff out there that will do more.

Check the chassis plate of the trailer as if it is a 3.5t rated trailer then you need a vehicle capable of that reegardless f the ctual weight is only 2T which means more or less a disco or rangie

Not any more. Its changed such that its the actual weight being towed rather than the plated weight. For once, a logical change in things!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
No the Touareg can tow 3.5T. As can Grand Cherokee, Landcruiser Amazon, X5, Q7, ML...plenty of options before going to an oul Landrover :p
Landcruiser colarado isn't rated to 3500kg as far as I can remember. Pretty sure X5 and Q7 will be well below that too.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
X5 and Q7 can do 3500 alright.
Q7 is 3200 according to Parkers...tbh its more than I expected. Not that they don't have the power, just didn't think they would be rated as high. X5 was 2700kgs though I didn't check all variants. The landcruiser was 2800kgs

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Q7 is 3200 according to Parkers...tbh its more than I expected. Not that they don't have the power, just didn't think they would be rated as high. X5 was 2700kgs though I didn't check all variants. The landcruiser was 2800kgs

There's various other figures floating about the net. I'd take parkers figures with a pinch of salt and contact manufacturer directly. UKtow has the Q7 at 3.5t for example...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.