A Bit Of Advice On Faulty Clutch And Mechanic

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd say your gearbox is making the noise, not the clutch.

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Doubtful because whenever the new clutch had been put in, no noise for a week or two, then back to square one with the noise

B20DC2

RMS Member
Drives
jdm dc2 type r
if u press the clutch pedal and the noise goes away is not the bearing as thats when it starts turning. its rather a bad cultch plate or its the bearings in the box. when the clutch is press it disconnects the box from the engine so the gearbox shafts stop turning. it mey be posible thats he has bent the shaft in the box when lifting it in or out, though its unlikly but possible.

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Well I've had another mechanic look at it, he reckeons release bearing, the clutch fully failed and wudnt even select gears the first time and a new clutch was put in which cured that and made it drivable with no noise, ever since this guy has touched the clutch been trouble, its fine for a week or two then the noise appears? If it was the box you'd expect the noise to have always been there, no?

tommy309

RMS Regular
well now that u have said it stopped driving completely the first time, it sounds like u have a damaged flywheel/ pressure plate, or as i said earlier ur gearbox is noisy

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Well, woulld that not have been obvious when the "mechanic" was changing the whole clutch kit, I just don't get it that when a new clutch kit goes in, the noise vanishes for a week or two, he said the pressure plate was changed aswell

tommy309

RMS Regular
tell ya what mate, if its that obvious, halfords do good tool kits, get out to the driveway and have a go yourself, seems you know more than everybody trying to help anyway...........

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Just find a mechanic with a brain and move on. There is obviously no point letting him near it again regardless of whether he charges labour or not.

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Shoulda mate woullda been 280up, no need for halfords have all the tools, and as I haven't had the clutch out of her its not obvious...yet, and I appreciate people tryna help, but if you put a new clutch in, and the noise stops, its obvious its not a box, I wasn't asking anyone on here what the problem was, I was assking for advice on the legal side.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It's grey. If he doesnt want to help you, then you're going to have to fight. And over such a relatively small amount of money, it's hard to imagine it would ever be worth the hassle

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
True stevie mate but its going to take 300quid to put right so its gonna be 580quid to put right, and its a whole principle thing now, I've contacted trading standards already over it

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Until it is stripped and the actual problem found, you dont know how much it will be to put right.

it could be more, or it could be much less.

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Thankyou for your email.

The Supply Of Goods and Services act says a service should be carried out with reasonable care and skill, within a reasonable time and for a reasonable charge.

As there is a fault with the clutch that the trader has fitted for you then the responsibility is on the trader to put the situation right.This may be a repair or a replacement.

If the trader can not do this then they should be refunding you so you are able to go to a third party to get the repair done.

You should not be at a loss and you should not of had to pay the trader to fit a second clutch if the clutch is faulty.

Keep all your correspondence to the trader in writing and send recorded delivery.

If you need any further advice please call us on 0300 123 6262.

Many Thanks.
Just sayin'

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Sounds like he just put a clutch plate in the first time ,maybe greased
the thrust bearing 2nd time . Take it somewhere else .

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.