Advice on registration transfer

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

OZ10

RMS Regular
Bought a new vehicle last Friday and want to transfer my reg from old car to new. Old car still taxed in my name for month of January, I haven't cancelled or sorn it yet. As I still have it to sell. I haven't yet received the new tax book for the new car in my name.

Can I transfer the old registration yet or do I have to wait until the new tax book is here?

OZ10

RMS Regular
OP
O
Am I right in saying I pay to put it on retention but not to then put it on the new car?
If it's on retention can I quickly transfer to the new car online or does it all have to be paper based?

4doorR34

RMS Member
Drives
Infiniti FX30
It's all online now. It's easy as long as all the V5's are in your name.
Put existing number on retention - print out the reference number and keep it. The cert normally turns up a couple of days later.
You'll get a replacement number for your existing car which you can then sell.
As soon as the new V5 turns up go back online and transfer the plate on to the new motor

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
It's all online now. It's easy as long as all the V5's are in your name.
Put existing number on retention - print out the reference number and keep it. The cert normally turns up a couple of days later.
You'll get a replacement number for your existing car which you can then sell.
As soon as the new V5 turns up go back online and transfer the plate on to the new motor
Yes it is pretty simple as long as the car has never been on sorn or had a late tax payment in the last 5 years.

I have decided to sell my car and literally just put the plate onto retention there now, 5 min job which cost £80, i can now put the old plate back onto the car and drive away till it sells.

Once i find a new car, i can take the reg from retention to the car online (so long as no tax breaks) and it is included in the £80 fee from before.

OZ10

RMS Regular
OP
O
Cheers guys all questions now answered. Now who wants to buy a 97 Honda civic run around lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Cheers guys all questions now answered. Now who wants to buy a 97 Honda civic run around lol
So easy when it works online, so much so that I went out to put the OEZ plate back on and forgot the car is in belfast till next friday lol

Almsot too efficient

OZ10

RMS Regular
OP
O
Just to confirm to transfer my reg, do I have to wait till the new tax book comes in or can I use details of the green slip? I assume the tax book is in progress as it came up as not taxed this morning, his tax would have become void when it transfered to my name.

Car is now taxed in my name

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
I beleive you need the new v5 ref number for the online transfer. So you will need to wait for the new v5 to land.

OZ10

RMS Regular
OP
O
Boo I hate waiting. Thought maybe the reference numbers would stay the same as its just same car different owner

OZ10

RMS Regular
OP
O
Well at least I know it's processed and new v5 are expected in 3-5 days nowadays

kippermoon

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 rs/impreza r
am i right in thinking if i put my plate on retention it will go back to the original norn irish plate? going to be putting my plate on retention very soon

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
am i right in thinking if i put my plate on retention it will go back to the original norn irish plate? going to be putting my plate on retention very soon

Yep, correct. Just last week I did this and my car is back to the KIG plate. Saved me having to get a new set of plates made up.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.