Age restriction on personal registrations?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mattblair

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaggggggg
I've had a look about and hopefully this hasn't been asked before. My personal reg is dated as 1994 and I was told that I couldn't put it on a car any older than that. Is this true in NI or it just a mainland thing? Since we have dateless registrations and all - just wondering as I'd love to keep the porsche and drive it about but if it means loosing my reg I'd just shift her on

Ta!

avo5021

RMS Regular
NI Registrations are classed as dateless and can be placed on any vehicle.

Registrations issued in GB will have an age identifier in the reg and can only be put on a car of the correct age or older, you cannot make a vehicle appear younger.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Yes this is true, went to transfer my reg to my E30 and was told I couldnt, it has to be 1991 or before, think my reg is circa mid 90's

pain in the backside!

Lee

RMS Regular
Didn't want to bring up an old thread but I guess its better than starting a new one!

Basically wanting to know does the same still apply these days - are NI registrations dateless? And if so is this ever likely to change etc. I know of a reg that I would love to buy but the car it would be going on is older than the reg. I've just never looked into this, thats all.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Didn't want to bring up an old thread but I guess its better than starting a new one!

Basically wanting to know does the same still apply these days - are NI registrations dateless? And if so is this ever likely to change etc. I know of a reg that I would love to buy but the car it would be going on is older than the reg. I've just never looked into this, thats all.
Ni regs are still dateless , English GB regs carry an age identifier , You can make a car look older but not make it appear younger if this makes sense :grinning:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah

If the Registration that you want to put on the car has a date identifier, then is cannot go on a car that is older than that registration. For example - My Astra has a "DEL" plate from 2009, it cannot be transferred to my 1999 MGF.

I hope that explains it - as mentioned before in this thread - you cannot put a registration on the car that makes it appear younger. N.I. registrations are not subject to this rule as they are classed as Dateless; they are just unique, sequential number/ letter identifiers.

Lee

RMS Regular
Ni regs are still dateless , English GB regs carry an age identifier , You can make a car look older but not make it appear younger if this makes sense :grinning:

If the Registration that you want to put on the car has a date identifier, then is cannot go on a car that is older than that registration. For example - My Astra has a "DEL" plate from 2009, it cannot be transferred to my 1999 MGF.

I hope that explains it - as mentioned before in this thread - you cannot put a registration on the car that makes it appear younger. N.I. registrations are not subject to this rule as they are classed as Dateless; they are just unique, sequential number/ letter identifiers.

Thanks men! Exactly what I wanted to hear. I've had my eye on this reg for a while but never bothered talking money because I had thought all along that I couldn't put it on the car!

Just while I'm here, these are probably things I could find with some digging but anyway - whats required to put a reg on a car nowadays? (Re MOT/tax/insurance).

And with all through Swansea now it can be put in retention for 10 years straight away anyway can't it?

Cheers!

J55NI

RMS Regular
Thanks men! Exactly what I wanted to hear. I've had my eye on this reg for a while but never bothered talking money because I had thought all along that I couldn't put it on the car!

Just while I'm here, these are probably things I could find with some digging but anyway - whats required to put a reg on a car nowadays? (Re MOT/tax/insurance).

And with all through Swansea now it can be put in retention for 10 years straight away anyway can't it?

Cheers!

Is the reg currently on a car ?. Cost will be £80 but this will include the transfer over to your car. See link below for removing it :grinning:
Take a registration number off a vehicle - GOV.UK

Lee

RMS Regular
Is the reg currently on a car ?. Cost will be £80 but this will include the transfer over to your car. See link below for removing it :grinning:
Take a registration number off a vehicle - GOV.UK

Yeah currently on a car. Not up for sale but I could probably buy it if I want. Going by what it says in the notes in that link, the car its coming off doesnt even have to be MOT'd? (Although the car it'd be coming off is in daily use so would prob be MOT'd).

Also says if the reg is being taken off a car it will be retained in the name of the registered keeper. Is there an option to change the owner of the reg when its coming off or is it more simple to let the docs come back in the original owners name and then send it off to get it in my name? Depending on when I buy it and wether I need MOT/tax/insurance on the car it s going onto, I may just be interested in buying to keep on retention for a bit.

Sorry about the questions, probably on here somewhere if I digged deep but its hard to beat just asking myself!

J55NI

RMS Regular
Yeah currently on a car. Not up for sale but I could probably buy it if I want. Going by what it says in the notes in that link, the car its coming off doesnt even have to be MOT'd? (Although the car it'd be coming off is in daily use so would prob be MOT'd).

Also says if the reg is being taken off a car it will be retained in the name of the registered keeper. Is there an option to change the owner of the reg when its coming off or is it more simple to let the docs come back in the original owners name and then send it off to get it in my name? Depending on when I buy it and wether I need MOT/tax/insurance on the car it s going onto, I may just be interested in buying to keep on retention for a bit.

Sorry about all those questions.

Needs to be Mot or on Sorn ( something tells me cant be a break in the sorn ). You need to be added as a grantee on the Certifiicate then you can add it to your vehicle when you choose to do so :grinning:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I bought mine from the DVLA for £250 - including transfer fee and 10-year retention certificate. There wasn't the added hassle of having to transfer from another car, so I can't help any further, sorry.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.