Airhead cafe racer project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stuarty7

RMS Regular
Drives
accord type s
Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned for the bike. With my 550 away I dying to order a ton of paradise the bmw but really should finish the cb550/650 build

BaconPopTart

RMS Regular
OP
BaconPopTart
Drives
Full Fleet
Well guys firstly let me say sorry to everyone who was following the build I have had a mad 4 weeks. I have been working on it while I can and there is now quite a difference and it is nearly finished (as everyone says) haha.

I got my uni finals finished up and exams done, literally the next day I was offered a full time job which I accepted and have been at training for that the last 3 weeks so I have fallen short of extra time to tinker at the bike and post updates.

I will get an up date written up later today with lots of pictures so you can all get back on board. There isn't really much left to do.
Just wanted to get some sort of update whilst i have 5 minutes free here (y)

All so if you are instagram users feel free to add me as I have some updates on it and more pictures. Then when I can get it out there will be many pictures of it; andy_y0 0 is a zero not a capital O

BaconPopTart

RMS Regular
OP
BaconPopTart
Drives
Full Fleet
So since last time Ill just upload a few pictures so you can see whats happened as thats probably what most are more interested in.
Not quite finished as said but getting there, I aim to have it running 100% for the Ulster Grand Prix week and youll find me hanging about up there all being well.

13483309_10157011263800705_7737201529908167908_o.jpg

So the carbs are back on and working. The new shocks came and I have them fitted.
New gear link rod and new brake rod.
I have all so tucked a lot of the wiring from the rear end. the front end of the loom still has some to be removed.

13498112_10157011270445705_8269745901624909711_o.jpg

This is just a quick idea of seat sizes. Its actually the rear pillion seat from the Triumph. I am still going for a slightly longer seat with a molded racing cowl.
And again.
13483025_10157011264385705_4937348469501564599_o.jpg

For the mean time I have mounted the battery where the air box was located. I know its not the tidiest job in the world and it does look much better hidden away but once the seat in finished I will look into it more but with the seat being quite small I may have problems being able to fit the battery into the rear section.
I was able to take the original battery mount that sits just in front of the rear wheel and move it to the new location and bolt it down in with a pre-existing threaded mounting point.

13475183_10157011266770705_3191045095450162172_o.jpg

My next major step is to cut the brackets which hold the exhaust cans (which ive done away with) I am all so using these for the foot pegs. They originally held the pillion pegs but due to the shape of them are causing a lot of issues with the brake rod and the gear link.

13490590_10157011267940705_1534328175431949102_o.jpg

13502844_10157011268460705_718578460393804072_o.jpg

13503044_10157011268795705_3588738945298327825_o.jpg

For those of you with a keen eye you will notice that the gear shifter is flipped and it will have to remain this way. ( 1 up 4 down)
This is purely because with the relocation of the foot peg and the frame shape it just wont work with a lot of fabrication so I am now running the link rod to the underside of the shifter.

Annnnnd finally I wasn't going to upload this as it would have been better quality if it was filmed on a potato.
The videos were taken on snap chat and then saved and put on youtube so its horrible quality but at least you can get an idea of what it sounds like. once I can take it a good ride ill fine tune it.

Volume right up ;D

Hopefully it will be done soon and I will try and keep you all updated a lot better as I appreciated everyone's input and interest in the project.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
for the gear shifter, can you not just mount a motox one backwards and do away with the rod, i done that when i fitted rearsets to a ZX7R and it worked the very best.

BaconPopTart

RMS Regular
OP
BaconPopTart
Drives
Full Fleet
The forgotten thread!

So I finished building the bike in July and I have covered a stressful 300 miles since.
The bike is finally starting on the button and running with the velocity stack intakes but only with the factory back pressure from the standard exhausts. So for the mean time they are staying but I quite like the look.

The most dramatic event so far was on a Sunday morning going to meet some of the DGR folk and my drive shaft exploded just outside itv ormeau road.
Luckily no unfixable damage and no injury.

All so as you will all see a last minute changed mind from the cafe racer standard seat and racing cowl and ended up going for a complete single seat which I have suspended from the original subframe mounts.

I will be attending the gentlemans ride on the 25th feel free to come have a poke about the bike she's rough and ready but I love it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Lovely bike and I love the colours. (except the white springs, if I'm honest)
Any difference which way up the shocks go? I see you've tried both.

chickendoink

RMS Regular
Drives
Too many things
Lovely bike and I love the colours. (except the white springs, if I'm honest)
Any difference which way up the shocks go? I see you've tried both.

White springs and while shock will be getting coated black.
And on my dads Enfield I noticed the reservoirs were that way up so I done the same if I'm being honest.

Bike rides great, had a few minor complications and an exploding drive shaft but all working again.

Tucked up now for winter and starting a new project.
I'll try and do a better thread on it once it's started.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.