All things Drag Racing...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
New stickie thread at the request of @56oval

Not something a lot are into, however this thread could prove educational for a lot of folk if there is enough posts fro stuff across the globe and locally :grinning:

56oval

RMS Regular
Thanks Graham thats awesome, i think its fair to have a section that doesn't clutter what is an active forum on pretty much "everything else" with regards to what we all do with cars, and i felt that although there are some who like drag racing, many don't, and sometimes drag topics muddy the waters of car related and events chat.
Thanks to Graham and the other mods for allowing us a bolt hole to talk everything 1320 feet ( or 1000 if its top fuel )

56oval

RMS Regular
Ok may as well start, the quickest ever side by side pass over 1320 feet ( full quarter ) in the uk

0-100mph, i think the record now is 0.04 sec. (1000 feet) but usually well under 0.08sec.

top fuel and funny car is now required by the NHRA to run 1000 feet for safety reasons, by the time the cars reach the 8th mile they are not getting much faster.

If you've never seen two top fuel diggers side by side, then you need to it is insane!!!!

If you listen carefully at 2.22 you'll hear the drivers switch the fuel to the high side, when you are standing there, it is eery!!!!!!

And incidentally 18 year old Gabby McDonald from Ireland has just completed her full top fuel licence at the European finals at Santa Pod, it will be interesting to see how she progresses next year, her 4.11 final licensing pass at the finals put her in the no6 qualifier i believe had she been allowed on the ladder.

MTKelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5
Interested in running your car on a drag day?

Open drag days are held throughout the year at Bishops Court and cars/bikes of any type are welcome to compete, it doesn't really mater if your running 100HP or 1000HP as at the end of the day its the clock your racing and not the guy in the next lane. If you want to see what you car can do the quarter mile in all you need is a helmet to take part.

Join us on Face Book for more info and some friendly banter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1478459535754957/

56oval

RMS Regular
Ok so we have the Season Opener now announced folks. completely different format this year, over the years people have voiced that the current system was never really that fair with regards to pairings, i.e 2wd 4wd, turbo, n.a and displacement. So with this in mind, we've listened to those who want to compete for a championship, now the system won't suit everyone, i for one am not interested in a championship and would never enter, i just want to go as quick as i can, but for those who want to compete for a title, this is the fairest way to do it, by indexing the classes, @stevieturbo this has been a tough call, as i know there are a few people will say the index is bullish*t, which i understand too, but its way fairer than the system used over the years and it gives everyone a slice of the pie. More importantly it allows for tight drag races, good for the drivers and good for the spectators, we'll see how the first round goes, it could be a royal screw up, or it could be a great improvement we'll wait and see.

So there you go, the first one of the year is open for entries, and watch this space for (possibly) a few rounds across the border in 2015 :grinning:

The 2015 season of DRAG RACING kicks off to a storming start on Sunday 22nd March at Bishops Court Airfield, Downpatrick. This will be Round 1 of the new-for-2015 CHAMPIONSHIP in what will be a completely revitalised season of racing.

Every event on the calendar (bar one (Air Cooled)) is open to every make and model of car, kart, quad, bike or even trike. Likewise we have categories to suit vehicles of varying performance; from daily driver to dedicated drag racer. All are welcome on the drag strip with only these few requirements. When on track each competitor must:

1. Wear a crash helmet.
2. Wear their seat belt.
3. Bikers – 2 piece textiles (minimum), boots and gloves to be worn

Trophies on the day are awarded to the drivers who set the fastest time during qualifying in each racing class. Classes may vary from event to event depending upon the organizing Club.

**Notice that we are now providing a race class for smaller engined cars with the introduction of the new 1500cc class. This will accommodate everything from a Polo to a Saxo and everything in between. This provides the cheapest and easiest way possible into motorsport and we expect this to become one of our most popular classes as the season progresses.

Championship points are awarded on the results of the FINALS where the top drivers from qualifying in each INDEX (below) will go head-to-head. These races would potentially see cars from different classes battling it out for overall honours. EG: We might see the fastest 1600cc race against an Impreza in the 12.0 to 12.999 Index.

**This system has never been run before in Ireland and should not be confused with anything previously seen in Enniskillen.

With Index racing we will see some of the closest, most interesting and most exciting races. This system rewards the best drivers rather than just the fastest cars, yet the greatest advantage is that it makes it possible for ANYONE to be competitive, even in a completely standard saloon, hatch or whatever it may be.

• Race Entry Fee is £40.
• PayPal address is: dragraceireland@gmail.com
• Please include your name and vehicle description in the additional notes.
• Closing date for entries is 17th March.

** Any transaction fees MUST be paid by the buyer, otherwise the booking may be rejected.**

EVENT TIME TABLE:
Driver registration from 09:30
Driver Briefing is at 10:45
Racing is from 11am – 5pm

INDEXES (Championship)
- 9.0 to 9.999
- 10.0 to 10.999
- 11.0 to 11.999
- 12.0 to 12.999
- 13.0 to 13.999
- 14.0 to 14.999
- 15.0 to 15.999
- 16.0 to 16.999
- 17.0 and over.

The other big news of the year sees the addition of a new venue to service our supporters from the south. Full details on this will soon be released via our partners at …

Air Cooled Drag Day
Bishops Court Airfield Circuit
Drag Racing Ireland
GTiNI
Honda Haven
SWRC
Track Pirate

1511444_503445269793642_8018659699696723079_o_zpsdjprjxeg.jpg

56oval

RMS Regular
A quick vid from our very own Air cooled drag day from last year, this year will be a 75 vehicle field including guests and a 2 day event.

Theres LOADS going on at the minute, so many people going nuts in the garage to go faster, Mark is rebuilding a huge project, I'm preparing to pull my finger out and get the car fully sorted for this season with a ton of work to do and some aero, The big one is Daves red beetle, didn't manage 11's last year, big plans for this year, all new 86mm flanged crank motor, new ecu more compression more cc, many many upgrades, and a new look, but i don't want to give too much away.

10921995_10152501921336644_478703427_n_zpsuh4n8ev7.jpg

56oval

RMS Regular
Ive just got the gearbox back in after the pinion bearing exploded last year, aim is to be out and get a number on the board march 22nd to give me something to work on this season.

10342435_10152556439146644_8057029072838435209_n_zpskmqjcu8k.jpg

Meanwhile Dave has completely rebuilt and restored the red GTR baiter, i won't give too much away but its gonna be awesome. Deep into the 11's is the aim all n.a without nitrous there is a new Maxx ecu from sweden in the car and a host of upgrades, possibly the nitrous will go back on in the middle of the year depending on the numbers, the old engine was making 205 n.a and 250 with the gas.

Hows it was.

IMG_2745_zpsc62e8a85.jpg

And now ( without giving too much away!! )

Brand new 2387cc flanged crank motor, over .650" lift at the 48mm inlet valve and 13.5-1 compression, it is gonna be a screamer!!!!

10313521_10152557661156644_4314240733264402135_n_zpsjjgvs84g.jpg

10347720_10152557661086644_2385026912018983149_n_zpsthloi6oy.jpg

10380983_10152557661221644_3049833254522008334_n_zps3n06n6mr.jpg

Lots of people aiming for quicker times this year, its looking like an exciting 2015.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Many entries so far for the 22nd? Entered myself there the start of February. Was absolutely gutted not to make it to the last blast. Was literally walking out the door in my leathers and helmet in hand when something came up. Hope the weather is as kind as it was that day! (y)

56oval

RMS Regular
Many entries so far for the 22nd? Entered myself there the start of February. Was absolutely gutted not to make it to the last blast. Was literally walking out the door in my leathers and helmet in hand when something came up. Hope the weather is as kind as it was that day! (y)

37 and counting Mikey, all being well there should be a field of 45-50 vehicles, promising start to the season .

Wayne and Anthony finally have the Camero running tonight, if your on Facebook you may be able to see it here

lots still to do but a big milestone, and Dave just yesterday after a massive amount of headaches with the sequential injection and ls2 coil per cylinder setup finally has his running and getting closer to going to the dyno :grinning:

Last edited:

56oval

RMS Regular
ben you have done a good job of restoring drag racing in ireland

Nowt to do with me :grinning:

Its just folk getting off their backsides and down to the track on a Sunday that has got the thing going.

Now up to 41 entries :grinning:

ST Kyle

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335i
37 and counting Mikey, all being well there should be a field of 45-50 vehicles, promising start to the season .

Wayne and Anthony finally have the Camero running tonight, if your on Facebook you may be able to see it here

lots still to do but a big milestone, and Dave just yesterday after a massive amount of headaches with the sequential injection and ls2 coil per cylinder setup finally has his running and getting closer to going to the dyno :grinning:

Seen the Camero during the week with @crautos looks like a beast!

56oval

RMS Regular
I was working on spinks car yesterday, much to do but the engine is nigh on identical to mine, another 12 sec bug once sorted for sure. Neil and Brian both have serious upgrades ( Brian has a new car ), the air-cooled guys are going to have a real battle amongst themselves.

First ever volksrod i think we'll se at the drags (y)

10420059_10204737459289325_1382754047494143325_n_zpsbvd0iezg.jpg

spink2_zpszsseallp.jpg

Last edited:

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I cant wait to get the mighty golf out to one of these this year.

Ben you have restored the Drag Racing bug in Ireland again fair play.

56oval

RMS Regular
image.jpg

With just over two weeks to the first round of the season ( Sunday March 22nd )

Finally after almost a year in hibernation the engine is back in, still cutting it fine though, stacks still to do, ill be honest its like bloody groundhog day posting this picture, im sure your just as bored seeing it as i am!!!

Last edited:

56oval

RMS Regular
image.jpg
Well Sundays season opener is just around the corner, i know most if not all the RMS massive will be up at their meet ( have a great day folks )

As for us, we are racing and what an epic season opener, the biggest field in YEARS. 66 vehicles, loads of newcomers, loads of seasoned racers. Im so chuffed that all the hard work towards the end of last year has bolstered drag racing for 2015, we just have to pick up where we left off :grinning:

56oval

RMS Regular
Don't forget guys, we are back at Bishopscourt in a few weeks time, Sat 30th May (YES A SATURDAY!!) , the GTINI guys are bringing a host of cars, there should be a big mix of machinery on show. This is still open to all other marques and there are places left.

And if you havnt tried it yet, then why not give it a go, all you need is a vehicle and a crash helmet, or if your on a bike, full leathers and lid.

We welcome everyone to come and join the fun, from total novice, seasoned racer, big budget , no budget, high performance or entry level cheap hack, there is place and a big welcome to everyone across the board.

Either drop us a line here or get in touch via Facebook, or contact Gethin via the details on the flyer below.

Cheers

Ben.

1510683_751201811678554_5510304274046283002_n_zpstqifme1j.jpg

56oval

RMS Regular
Havnt stuck anything in this for a while, March 20th see's our season opener with some exciting updates on many cars over the province, more about those later, but in the meantime, if you have a spare hour and 20 mins, grab a cuppa, sit back and enjoy The March Meet 2015, pretty much sums up everything i love about drag racing :grinning:

56oval

RMS Regular
latest one off the rollers this weekend was Daves new ( yes another new engine lol ) 2387cc screamer, mapped from scratch by Mark Mccabe at Elite in Armagh. Check out the rpm,Not bad for an old pushrod mill no vtec :p the aim is to run a 10, at Bishopscourt (y)
12241194_10153701388946211_134377883990854634_n.jpg
12630698_10153843743021211_2138095193_o.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.