Are sports bikes too fast?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Ok, I have had lots of different bikes for 15years, have done trackdays, a few race schools in England and Mx for a long time.

I have had my 2010 GSXR1000 for 4 years, far and away the longest I have ever owned a bike because I love it but I'm using it less and less. Last year I bought a 1050 tiger for touring as it's much more comfortable and quick enough.

Now I find when I take a run out on the GSXR I just think it's bonkers fast, 103mph in first and the front won't stay down until 3rd! Really everyone needs to experience speed like this but I'm getting to think I've experienced enough of it over the year's. I never ever want anything to happen on the bike but self restraint is hard when so much power is only a twist of the wrist away.

I'm thinking more and more I should sell it even though I still love it.

120bhp is all a road bike needs, near 200bhp is a liability. My age is changing my priorities!

Opinions?

MarcVtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Integra Ty
103 in first?! Christ the night I thought they done about 70 in first. Pointless comment as I've never even owned one but that's insane.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Age does change priorities for sure, I genuinely have no interest in spending money getting the fastest thing I can afford like I used to (cars rather than bikes 'tho).

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Yes they are FAST!

On one of Guy Martin's TV shows he raced David Coulthard in a Red Bull F1 car over a 1/4 mile and he lost...................... just, I was really surprised as my 1/4 mile times from Bishopscourt would have seen me beat the F1 car. Guy made a hash of it!

Reactions: Hel

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Eh...............................no!

DSC03418_zpsd020d842.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC03418_zpsd020d842.jpg

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
You just need to use the bike more, naff all about age, if you are fit and able, ride it. Life is short, enjoy it whatever way you can. Sure the 959 is more capable than me, so what, I love it, it makes me smile and laugh like an idiot. Power ranger all the way lol

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I only started riding 3 years ago and have had several 600's, 2 1000's and a 750. I've just went back to a 600 and I think it's more than enough for our roads, every bit as fun if not more so than a 1000.

For me, everything just happens that bit too fast on a 1000.

Maybe I'm just a pussay ☺️

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
I wouldn't like a decrease in power since moving to 1000cc... I've never even put it on mode B or C lol

Thou I'm still quite tame on mine to be fair, licence/livelihood comes screaming in my head when go over 100....!!zzz boring when you get older & sensible (n)

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Its the only vehicle, car or bike I have ever owned that its performance scares me a bit, maybe that's why I love it in a weird way and why I might be better to sell it.

It's not like a 1050 Tiger is slow!

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Dear oh dear @mike150 never thought I would see the day. Enjoy your retirement with your pipe and slippers. :p. I'm sure the lure of petrol and burning rubber will bring you to your senses. :grinning:

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
I think in some cases the older you get the more you think about it. The loss of the license would be a right pain in the arse. I used to feel if I wasn't being stupid on the bike I didn't enjoy it. It's all to easy to get caught now and who hasn't thought at least once after a bit of fun imagine if I have been caught and don't know yet. Having had various ccs over the years I probably enjoyed the RVF 400 the most.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Tech as standard on bikes now is taking them really close to being road legal track bikes IMO. I'm not sure there's really a need for it, take the example GSXR, 100+ in first? Just why?

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Cause if the gearing was any shorter you'd flip it with a twitch, you can't use full throttle in first gear, can maybe use full throttle in second and keep the front down, just don't run over a pebble, third it will be grand.

I'm tight so don't like wearing out the front tyre, i love 2nd gear, up she goes, 3rd, 4th.............

wheeliekool

RMS Regular
Drives
EvoStik
Crazy to think you can blast up the road on one of these at such a young age before much sense is installed.
Surprises me too how many boys don't know how to steer them correctly either.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Crazy to think you can blast up the road on one of these at such a young age before much sense is installed.
Surprises me too how many boys don't know how to steer them correctly either.
The same applies to most tests. They don't teach you how to drive/ride in the real world but how to be good enough to pass a test. If you can do a lifesaver, indicate, a U-Turn and use a centrestand you can pass your test and buy a 1400cc monster that afternoon, having just passed on a gutless 125cc.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
are they to fast? yes of course they are. pretty much any 1000/750/600 is way to fast for the roads. not because the roads themselves are that bad. more the fact we have to share them with other road users most of whom drive around at 30 mph and have been brain dead for 5 years.
with age comes sense? well yes and no. i was a complete tool when i was younger on bikes but managed to survive until 52 touch wood but the bikes where slower than they are now.
the firestorm i own at the min ok its no rocket compared to some stuff but .iv also been thinking this last while things are getting outa control. i find it harder to stay even close to normal speeds.your average road user cruises around at 40/60 but that same normal speed on a 1000cc bike seems to be over a ton, and it feels normal!!!

a wee jaunt to newcastle the other nite with a mate and to be honest if we had have been spotted by police we would have been locked up. fecking mental at times but what scares me is it felt normal... worries me at times.

i spent last weekend riding around Scotland with a load of other firestorm owners.. insane at times, another jail term waiting , when you find your engine has a rev limiter in top gear its time to ask yourself questions esp at this age with a young family.

will i sell it?... not a chance, just have to wind my/our necks in a bit.

theres a time and a place. just pick your time.

Last edited:

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
Getting a licence is quite a long process compared to years ago. CBT, written, off road and on road. The cost also mounts up a fair bit. The age restrictions on the size of bike will probably annoy the younger lads.
I don't not think you can pass on a 125 then go buy a 1000, could be wrong.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Getting a licence is quite a long process compared to years ago. CBT, written, off road and on road. The cost also mounts up a fair bit. The age restrictions on the size of bike will probably annoy the younger lads.
I don't not think you can pass on a 125 then go buy a 1000, could be wrong.

You can if your are over 25 I believe, all category's are different dependant on age I believe. Well that's what I've gathered from reading various bits and pieces.

To answer the question, yes of course they are too fast they are rockets! What else can you buy for a few grand that'll do (second hand obviously) 170mph+

CBR 600 RR is my dream bike, and id say that would be more than adequate for the roads.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
If you take the test on a 125 aged over 25 you can only ride a 125, take the test on a 600 then go buy what you want that afternoon.

I have a 600 and it's fast enough for me, have no interest in buying a 1000+ as I know I'm no where near experienced enough to handle one but there is nothing stopping me from doing that which I think is kinda wrong, it's like giving a monkey a loaded gun.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
If you take the test on a 125 aged over 25 you can only ride a 125, take the test on a 600 then go buy what you want that afternoon.

I have a 600 and it's fast enough for me, have no interest in buying a 1000+ as I know I'm no where near experienced enough to handle one but there is nothing stopping me from doing that which I think is kinda wrong, it's like giving a monkey a loaded gun.

This logic can be applied to anything though really, cars can cause a lot more damage than a bike could (to others) and look at how many wabs get the test and are on the roads controlling a car which weighs over a tonne.

I seen a old lady the other day pulling out of her driveway facing forward so no issues really but still her husband had to guide her out. To think a few minutes later she could be on the motorway mixing with traffic, now that to me is hazardous and scary.

Oh and thanks for that info re the test.

genman

G
too fast ... mmm tough one for me having owned 4 Busa's and a zzr1400.... take them to europe and they cruise til the tanks empty at 150mph with ease.
sports bikes still give the buzz of speed ...hyper bikes numb the buzz and you've no comprehension of the speed...minimal wind blast at 180 and stable as any bike doing 60.
now riding v4 1000cc and the sound alone gives the buzz.
that gsxr is lovely...ditch the screen and you'll likely enjoy the bike more at lower overall speeds

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.