Are sports bikes too fast?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Hel

RMS Regular
Yeah they're quick but that's the point. If you don't want or like it then get something to suit but the option is there in an affordable way that most of us can enjoy unless you can pay for a supercar.

Are the bikes themselves too quick? Probably but not in standard trim. I have a road 2016 zx10 that feels like an absolute pussycat compared to my standard engined race fireblade. Gearing, throttles, exhausts and air filters among other things will totally change these modern bikes into race ready machines but the likes of supercomputer TC and ****ty gearing makes them more than safe for any experienced rider.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Ok, I'm going to sell it, anyone interested?

2010 GSXR1000
Yoshimura carbon exhaust with De cat
HM quicksilver
Helibars, 1" higher and 1" back
Heated grips
Tail tidy
Double bubble
9100 miles
I have all the original parts and all the extras I have on it are all the bits anyone would want on one as they make it better. IMO it's one hell of a bike and you won't want anything faster. It's also comfortable for a sports bike.
Bike is loved and cared for but it's not getting used now, I've done 150miles this year so far on it.
£6500

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Good decision

I've said for years that 1000cc sportsbikes are absolutely pointless on the road

I had a Speed Triple 1050 and a Tiger 1050 and they were quick enough, great fun and always left me grinning from ear to ear!

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
I wouldn't say pointless just a lot more than you need, people still buy Ferrari's

I had a guy buying it over a year ago and I backed out!

I just listed it on Gumtree.............................:sob:

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Soon after listing............
Screenshot_20160824-171136_zpskeayelvs.png

Screenshot_20160824-171152_zpsce6m9krg.png

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
If your ad says no texts then the worst thing you can do is reply to idiots texting and offering silly money

Ignore

NotKG

Banned
sometimes app on phone doesnt show all details so you read first bit, and someone then writes no texts, it's a bit should be in options to turn text option on or off when posting ad.
i'v receintly put an offfer to a dealer for a cash price on 2 bikes (6 weeks ago) they're still both sitting there, seems no one else wants them now, so neither do i.
not trading in, and another shop tried to deal a bike to me, i threw them a figure, they laughed and said it will be gone in a week it was that cheap,, and it's still there 4 weeks later.
there is a fine line between dealer prices and private. some private i'v found higher than dealers.
am i talking in riddles,??
let me put it this way, prices are up their holes and private sellers are in there with a flashlight.

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
As a complete noob to the bike world I'm wondering what a decent bike would be to learn on, with a fair amount of go go to top speed, easiest to handle as a beginner and a more upright riding position rather than a racing bike position, any experience recommendations?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
As a complete noob to the bike world I'm wondering what a decent bike would be to learn on, with a fair amount of go go to top speed, easiest to handle as a beginner and a more upright riding position rather than a racing bike position, any experience recommendations?

To learn on or first bike after you pass the test?

Good beginner bike would be something like a SV650, though no massive top speeds on them, not that you'll need it anyways. Mate bought one of the new CBR600F's and it's more of an upright riding position than a sporty one.

MT-03 is good but maybe too slow, MT-07 would be quicker but maybe too much too learn on?

All depends what style you want and if you just want to learn and upgrade or keep the bike a while

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
To learn on or first bike after you pass the test?

Good beginner bike would be something like a SV650, though no massive top speeds on them, not that you'll need it anyways. Mate bought one of the new CBR600F's and it's more of an upright riding position than a sporty one.

MT-03 is good but maybe too slow, MT-07 would be quicker but maybe too much too learn on?

All depends what style you want and if you just want to learn and upgrade or keep the bike a while
As a first bike after the test is done - I imagined anything too slow will be embarrassing, and too bulky or racing style would be too advanced

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
As a first bike after the test is done - I imagined anything too slow will be embarrassing, and too bulky or racing style would be too advanced

Ah I see now. No such thing as too slow after you pass your test though, just get something you are comfortable on as you will learn every time you take it out and at the same time get a wee bit quicker.

For example when I passed my test I had a B1H 636 Ninja which in the right hands would be a wee weapon. My mate that also passed not long after me had a 15 year old 600 Bandit. Every time we went out we were both pretty much the same speed and standard, plus I didn't take any risks trying to keep up with the quicker boys out the front lol.

I only did around 700 miles on the ninja before upgrading to a gsxr750, so I'm still learning every time I'm out on it. It's only as quick as you make it go also lol!

You could put me on an S1000RR tomorrow up the coast road, and the likes of Michael Dunlop on a moped on the same road and I'd say he'd pass me easily enough :p

I intend to get on the track and do a couple of riding school things over on the mainland to get a bit more experience, hopefully next year

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
Ah I see now. No such thing as too slow after you pass your test though, just get something you are comfortable on as you will learn every time you take it out and at the same time get a wee bit quicker.

For example when I passed my test I had a B1H 636 Ninja which in the right hands would be a wee weapon. My mate that also passed not long after me had a 15 year old 600 Bandit. Every time we went out we were both pretty much the same speed and standard, plus I didn't take any risks trying to keep up with the quicker boys out the front lol.

I only did around 700 miles on the ninja before upgrading to a gsxr750, so I'm still learning every time I'm out on it. It's only as quick as you make it go also lol!

You could put me on an S1000RR tomorrow up the coast road, and the likes of Michael Dunlop on a moped on the same road and I'd say he'd pass me easily enough :p

I intend to get on the track and do a couple of riding school things over on the mainland to get a bit more experience, hopefully next year
Cheers Gav great insight for me

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
IMO, I'd get something reasonably tame, sv650, Bandit, Hornet, CBR400, VFR400 etc then ride around on it for at least a year before going for something bigger and more powerful. There are too many people passing their bike test and going too big too soon and not making it home again. Please don't take this as patronising, its not meant to be, but, bikes are a completely different ball game to cars (obviously) but things like road position, body position and braking (wet or dry) are critical when riding a bike. The faster you go, the more critical road position becomes, too many find themselves going a bit quicker than they're used too and find themselves running wide on corner exits into oncoming traffic or ditches, or find the front goes light over bumps or hills which they haven't factored into the equation. Build it up slowly !

NotKG

Banned
get a 2009> on xjs600diversion, upright, and a good all rounder, 77hp, and looks ok out of the showroom.
i ride a 1100Pan, and the son has a 2010divvy, i love getting out a run on it as often as i can, considering buying another if one comes up at good money.
the bandits and sv's are lower hp too.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/xj6-diversion/2009/

it's not just a great wee first bike, it's a great wee bike in general.
pah! to all this first bike rubbish, it's good for 135.

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
IMO, I'd get something reasonably tame, sv650, Bandit, Hornet, CBR400, VFR400 etc then ride around on it for at least a year before going for something bigger and more powerful. There are too many people passing their bike test and going too big too soon and not making it home again. Please don't take this as patronising, its not meant to be, but, bikes are a completely different ball game to cars (obviously) but things like road position, body position and braking (wet or dry) are critical when riding a bike. The faster you go, the more critical road position becomes, too many find themselves going a bit quicker than they're used too and find themselves running wide on corner exits into oncoming traffic or ditches, or find the front goes light over bumps or hills which they haven't factored into the equation. Build it up slowly !

get a 2009> on xjs600diversion, upright, and a good all rounder, 77hp, and looks ok out of the showroom.
i ride a 1100Pan, and the son has a 2010divvy, i love getting out a run on it as often as i can, considering buying another if one comes up at good money.
the bandits and sv's are lower hp too.
YAMAHA XJ6 DIVERSION (2009-on) Review

it's not just a great wee first bike, it's a great wee bike in general.
pah! to all this first bike rubbish, it's good for 135.

Cheers guys,
will have a nosey around these suggestions in the coming months, not in a real rush as the test comes first (am I right in saying there is now two tests for me aged 27 with a full driving licence - to include the CBT parts and then another test beyond that)?.

Car geometry and G forces and turning biomechanics took to me very quickly, but two wheels I haven't a notion or feel for yet, thats one of the reasons I waited until a bit older. Looking something fun and easy to handle (light but sticks to the road) with decent looks before considering the need for speed

Dave..

RMS Regular
27,, think you can just do the full license in one go.
not too sure, i got mine riding round a block of housed in Grand Parade in the early 80's

I did the same test in 1979 in Portadown. A few streets and then 3 or 4 highway code questions = test passed.

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
I know they brought in new requirements but as yet haven't been able to make head nor tail of it - as I'm sure they'd love me to take all sorts of tests for the money involved

Dave..

RMS Regular
I know they brought in new requirements but as yet haven't been able to make head nor tail of it - as I'm sure they'd love me to take all sorts of tests for the money involved
Contact one of the training centres, they will know what you need to do. The one at CH seems to busy with their customers passing.
In regard to speed and motorcycles, remember its the person who twists the throttle to go faster, the bike won`t break the speed limit unless the rider opens it up.
Remember to maintain your bike or this could happen

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
Contact one of the training centres, they will know what you need to do. The one at CH seems to busy with their customers passing.
In regard to speed and motorcycles, remember its the person who twists the throttle to go faster, the bike won`t break the speed limit unless the rider opens it up.
Remember to maintain your bike or this could happen

Will do.

Nasty, was that the chain just snapped when braking

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
This is the reason I will never own a sports bike.

Not that they are too fast or too powerful, but that I have such little self restraint when on them that I will simply end up dead in a very very short space of time.

Got on a ZXR750R some year ago (race bike converted for the road) and within 3 or 4 corners I felt right at home and within a couple of miles I was twisting the thing round to the very very wrong end of the clock. When i got a glimpse of the speedo at first I didn't believe it, but a second glance confirmed it and i simply wound her down and tootled home at 40 mph, handed it back and I have never sat on a road bike since. Scary scary b*stards.

Dave..

RMS Regular
This is the reason I will never own a sports bike.

Not that they are too fast or too powerful, but that I have such little self restraint when on them that I will simply end up dead in a very very short space of time.

Got on a ZXR750R some year ago (race bike converted for the road) and within 3 or 4 corners I felt right at home and within a couple of miles I was twisting the thing round to the very very wrong end of the clock. When i got a glimpse of the speedo at first I didn't believe it, but a second glance confirmed it and i simply wound her down and tootled home at 40 mph, handed it back and I have never sat on a road bike since. Scary scary b*stards.
I rode a Triton years ago, first thing the owner said was its worth a fortune but rake the shiite out of it.
Very heavy bikes but once I got used to it I got faster and faster then a wee scare and I went back at 40.
Thats why all my bikes are from the early 80's.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.