Are sports bikes too fast?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I do it when driving, before I make a left or right turn I always do a mirror sweep.
When I am on the bike my senses and sight are at 100%.
If more car drivers rode bikes it would be a safer place.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
If more road users rode bicycles it would be even better. A lot of learning from motorbiking transfers really handy across to cycling. :p

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
If more road users rode bicycles it would be even better. A lot of learning from motorbiking transfers really handy across to cycling. :p
I was about to mention exactly that - I noticed in the YouTube test videos the over compensated turn checks - particularly useful that I'm used to doing this when road cycling and so far never crashed on my roadbike in 11 years always looking

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
If MSM means mirror signal manoeuvre, then forget the mirrror. It's all about turning your head.

"
A lifesaver is when you turn your head to see what is outside your peripheral vision when you are riding a motorbike or driving a car or heavy vehicle, and it is used immediately before you make a turn to the left or right, change lanes or begin an overtaking manoeuvre. While the term is predominantly used when riding a motorbike, the head check itself is important when riding or driving any kind of vehicle.

You can help maintain an awareness of the traffic that is around you by regularly taking quick glances in your mirrors and occasionally turning your head to see if anything has already crept into your blind spot; a lifesaver glance or head check isn't just something that you would do immediately before a manoeuvre."

I'm 99% sure it was and is still part of the test. I habitually do it when cycling, and I would use the chance (when stationary at lights or junctions) to let any traffic behind me know which way I'm turning

Cheers for pointing this out - on 4 wheels it was all about the mirrors - now physically checking is the key to it

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
My instructor called them "shoulder checks" back in the day, but the life saver seems to be the more common term now.
Seemed at the time like he was always nagging on about them but with good reason.
That, and pressing the cancel button for the indicators fairly often, just in case. We love to blame cars for pulling out on us, but I've seen plenty of bikes riding straight past side roads with the left indicator flashing. Not good.

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
Yeah that makes fair enough sense - hopefully I'd like to think I'm a bit insightful and aware of other's perception' of myself on the bike, from the car driver, cyclist and other precision machine driving

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
When I was learning I had a plain black helmet and the instructor told me to put some bright stickers on it as it was hard to tell if I was turning my head and there was a risk that during the test the examiner might fail me for not doing lifesavers when I actually was.

The importance of it was drilled into me at the time and I still do it now, regardless if I'm on the bike or in my car.

NotKG

Banned
wtf, life savers, looking over the shoulder, if your doing 150 and your mate is up your pipe, it's up to him to do the looking,
pah! all this tootling in traffic, head turning rubbish at the lights, brake feathered ride the clutch and try not to lift the wheel.
;-)

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
wtf, life savers, looking over the shoulder, if your doing 150 and your mate is up your pipe, it's up to him to do the looking,
pah! all this tootling in traffic, head turning rubbish at the lights, brake feathered ride the clutch and try not to lift the wheel.
;-)
I can imagine the examiner's looks as I wheelie past him in the test at 150 smiling with my pretty whites :p

Hel

RMS Regular
I do life savers all the time in traffic. Force of habit with no mirrors merging into track :grinning:

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
As a complete noob to the bike world I'm wondering what a decent bike would be to learn on, with a fair amount of go go to top speed, easiest to handle as a beginner and a more upright riding position rather than a racing bike position, any experience recommendations?

If it was me starting out I'd be going for a Triumph Street Triple

Its got the looks, handling, engine etc all sorted, and more than enough bike to gain experience and have fun on

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
If it was me starting out I'd be going for a Triumph Street Triple

Its got the looks, handling, engine etc all sorted, and more than enough bike to gain experience and have fun on
I was looking at this today right enough after browsing @AC's thread asking what bike, I do like the look of them and their ride position behind the front wheel

Reactions: AC

Dave..

RMS Regular
I would love a TZR125 like the picture below, or an Aprilla.
Yamaha TZR125 88.jpg

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
I was browsing this an 08' CBR more so for the costs of first run about until I have a feel for bigger toys
200x113.jpg

Of course I've nothing to compare to so I'm bound to like anything

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I was browsing this an 08' CBR more so for the costs of first run about until I have a feel for bigger toys
View attachment 123937

Looks like a good choice. Cooler looking than a CG125 but still well built and reliable, being a Honda. Slower than a 2 stroke like an Aprilia RS125 but cheaper to run and not as highly strung in terms of maintenance and day to day riding.
A good seller when you've finished with it.

Dave..

RMS Regular
View attachment 123937
@And1
Try and get a test ride to make sure its comfortable and it doesn`t lack overtaking performance. What size of bike does your licence allow you to ride?

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
I'm right in saying I've only to complete a CBT, then theory and modules 1 & 2 as I'm over age 24 riding anything in sight (sounds like uni all over again)

Reactions: Ben

NotKG

Banned
They look great , are they reliable?
like any other bike, good and bad, cousin had one 450mile on it in 3 years, rest of time it sat in the workshop waiting on warranty parts as it just dies literally every 10 mile, then the dealer refused to touch it and it sat in the garage, it was a dreadful bike. he sold it receintly as parts or repair,, yea, with 450 mile on it from new.
and another lad i know stuck 15k on his and it only got tyres and an oil change or 2.

Dave..

RMS Regular
like any other bike, good and bad, cousin had one 450mile on it in 3 years, rest of time it sat in the workshop waiting on warranty parts as it just dies literally every 10 mile, then the dealer refused to touch it and it sat in the garage, it was a dreadful bike. he sold it receintly as parts or repair,, yea, with 450 mile on it from new.
and another lad i know stuck 15k on his and it only got tyres and an oil change or 2.
Sounds like an old brit bike, one is great the other is sh1t. There is a lot of Chinese junk on the market now.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.