Audio install fabric - now installing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Any good places both online or local that supplies small cuts of material for covering speakers pods and boot install?

Probably a standard enough material for boot, something sexier for cabin.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
I've a load of 'lining carpet' if that's the sort of thing you're after? Various shades of silver/grey and some black I think I have

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Few Material suppliers down duncrue estate I always found summat suitable... cotton print was it

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Thanks for offer Mike, have some black stuff myself lying about but not happy with texture of it.
Looking ideally somewhere where I can try samples to match interior. Will check out that cotton print place.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
The Milano looks to be the ticket. Cheers

I was initially looking at somewhere local to try and ensure best colour match with the plastics that are more deep grey / charcoal but on looking again this morning the seats are a definite black plus suede in appearance.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Milano fabric bought and job one was to cover the sub box I fabricated just before Christmas.

Still working my way through the rest of the install (slooowly).

rsz__dsc0969_2.jpg

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Pre-covering sub box fabrication for anyone that's interested as there is few and far between install threads these days with standard audio being pretty decent now.
Unfortunately / fortunately the audio in GT86 is a bit naff (rwd + lsd more than makes up for audio naffness though :laughing:) so it was a good excuse to get bring out the equipment i had sitting in spare room for numerous years.

Basic construction:
89c4f5e3-8f4d-4b69-b71f-db765a3984d8.jpg

Fibreglass prep, didn't have a big single sheet of plastic for protection so lots of bin liners had to do:
IMAG4157-1280x893.jpg

Fibreglass set so box sealed up and screwed up then sanded down after this pic:
1c182c74-7b42-4006-81db-193d13589859.jpg

Then covered with the fabric glued on and stapled at edges:
IMAG4212-1280x893.jpg

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Starting a build for the scrap Ford soon I just need to source front components. Nothing fancy just a 12in Rockford sub, Rockford 300.4 Sony head unit. Bought spare a pillar trims for £10 to mount the tweeters into. Hope to do it all for £200

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Can't beat quality audio. Hands down the best thing I have spent money on in a car in a long time

So true ... I never installed anything on my last car and it annoyed me everyday so decided I wouldn't do the same with this one. Once you've heard good quality audio it's like going from a 4K TV back to CRT when you don't have it.

Old skool function over form tweeterage awaiting :heart:
Just hope everything is good with them as they have been sitting so long.

IMAG4220-1024x715.jpg

IMAG4221-1280x893.jpg

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Not much more done today other than door card off to try and work out speaker fitment and cut all the MDF mounts.

Doesn't take much to work out why the audio wasn't great.
Don't know whether to be appalled at Toyota for such a miserable little driver or applauding them for their commitment to lightweight, this thing is feather like.

I'm sure you can work out which is which.
rsz__dsc1062_2.jpg
rsz__dsc1066_2.jpg

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Same here many many nights spent making boot builds and setting up audio installs. I will be doing a "proper" install into my next car.
I love reading up on proper old school audio build threads.

Brings me back to the days (and nights!) of me and @ewok and other mates spending nights in each other's sheds / garages and just building things for the fun of it!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Agreed with the above. It was always the audio side of modifying I preferred. Would love to have a sub of some sort now but buggies etc reside in the boot instead these days!

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
Agreed with the above. It was always the audio side of modifying I preferred. Would love to have a sub of some sort now but buggies etc reside in the boot instead these days!

Were there is a will there is a way. :laughing:
My first Celica had a sub, 40 litre sub enclosure, 3 amps, a DAC, a full size spare wheel and all designed to let a folded up Jane pram sit in the middle.

Go on, do it, you know you want to.

Nigelo

RMS Regular

Likewise, but I managed to sneak a small sub inside the spare tyre in the wheel well...

mSwtml073IfoXtAA23PjxNA.jpg

Wee box like this off ebay.

impact

RMS Regular
OP
impact
Drives
GT86
More done tonight ...

Really wasn't looking forward to trying to get the speaker cable through the door. Managed though to get a bit of stiff solid copper cable wiggled through with the help of some lube of erm a certain nature.

IMAG4274-1280x893.jpg

Taped proper cable to that and pulled through ...
IMAG4276-1280x893.jpg

Mounted adapters and Silent Coated the door inner skin, inside and out and also outer skin ...
IMAG4281-1280x893.jpg

Soldered cables to speaker then mounted ...
IMAG4282-1280x893.jpg

Measured up to set adapter on door card to get seal against face but that for tomorrow.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.