BBC2 'Racing Legends' Colin McRae 28/12/12

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
ah , that makes sense, but i would still like a run in a WRC impreza

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Oh absolutely mate the car he drove is still an ex works car, just with a bit less history :laughing:

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
I was thinking it wasnt the same car - cant imagine letting anyone loose in the actual car. I was impressed with Hoy though - he drove it pretty well, maybe some of the shots were not him but overal i was impressed.

RComms has it correct. Modern day WRC cars with all the toys have been developed in such a way that the style of McRae et al. ceased to work. If you look at it for years Loeb has dominated and the usually dominant Scandinavians have found it very difficult. Solberg is very flamboyant but struggles alot, JM Latvala is awesomely quick and has had to adapt his style in the past few years. A point in case also is Ogier - he came along and was instantly quick because driving a WRC now is very much like driving a race car.

People talk about Loeb or the newer generation not being able to drive as hard in comparison but you have to drive to what your given. I never hear anyone call Senna a big girls blouse in relation to Fangio, Hill, Stewart or any of the old F1 guys - its all relative to that time.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Agree fully also as soon as fully active WRC cars came to the fore with sequential and electronics McRae struggled as he is a raw driver. the modern generation in a grpA impreza on the same stages rould struggle to get near his times, Loeb is the only man that could maybe come close but even at that McRae i feel was in a league of his own in the "real cars"

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
A comparison of Loeb against Ogier on the Monte. Interesting how much smoother Loeb is. Ogier is more sideways but maybe that is just that it was the cars first time out and not set up quite as well.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Loeb did go up against them and he was near enough always an also ran unless it was on a Tarmac stages, they really did eat him alive.

That last comment also made me chuckle.

Are you sure? This doesn't really match how I remember it. Loeb "won" the Monte and Germany in 2001 when Citroen weren't doing the full championship. Then in 2002 he lost the drivers title by 1 point as Citroen asked him to secure the manufacturers title. Then from 2003 till now he has dominated. Hardly an also ran, he could have won the drivers title in every year he has done the full championship.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
that was just a number plate, the car was ryan champions, N555 BAT

3877280519_609d8c44f0_z.jpg
Im not doubting you but how do you know?

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
its at Colin's home in Scotland along with the rest of the cars - the one you see in the documentary at the house is the genuine one.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Are you sure? This doesn't really match how I remember it. Loeb "won" the Monte and Germany in 2001 when Citroen weren't doing the full championship. Then in 2002 he lost the drivers title by 1 point as Citroen asked him to secure the manufacturers title. Then from 2003 till now he has dominated. Hardly an also ran, he could have won the drivers title in every year he has done the full championship.

I've not watched the WRC for many years, not since the big guns retired and what not, last time I watched it was 2001, I remember Burns won the title that year after an epic battle but after that was distracted by school stuff and other boring rubbish.

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
I have to say I really enjoyed watching it, what a driver he was. As you's have been saying WRC rallying has became less popular. A big thing that also helped was when Subaru, Mitsubishi where in the peak. You could of walked in to there showrooms and bought a car that looked pretty close to what these boys where tearing up the stages in. None of today's cars that are in WRC resemble nothing like there showroom counter parts. Which to me kills a big part of the cult car following it once had

Steve VTi

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R EP3
I have to say I really enjoyed watching it, what a driver he was. As you's have been saying WRC rallying has became less popular. A big thing that also helped was when Subaru, Mitsubishi where in the peak. You could of walked in to there showrooms and bought a car that looked pretty close to what these boys where tearing up the stages in. None of today's cars that are in WRC resemble nothing like there showroom counter parts. Which to me kills a big part of the cult car following it once had
Very true there mate. That's the main reason I got my Evo. The show was brilliant,he was an awesome driver,it's very sad he's not with us anymore.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
This started again tonight with Stirling Moss and Patrick Stewart. Really really good show, loved it. Was 1 of 3 so two more shows after this on BBC 2.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.