bike licence

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Brendan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus 16v ZeTak
How do i go about getting a motorbike licence........

What does the full car licence cover----

up to 125cc??

anyone recommend any companys???

Thanks brendy

ian

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 Stage 3
car liscence i think covers u up to 16hp u can ride any bike on it as long as it is restricted to this and u hav to put up 'l' plates and obviously be insured

toker

RMS Regular
car licence will cover any bike up to 125 ians in ards do a deal 5 lessons and use of the bike for a ton.once u have passed the test u r restricked to 33bhp for two years .

Martyn

RMS Regular
I did my bike test 4 years ago.

At that time I drove a 125 on my car licence with L plates on.

I had 10 lessons and did my test... I could ride any size of bike after that as long as it was restricted to 33bhp for 2 years...

After that there is no restriction..

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Car license allows you to ride a bike not exceeding 125cc and 14.6bhp on L plates.

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
tbh the quickest and prob cheaper in most cases is to go across to wales for a wk and do the 'direct access' test. Basically its a wk long course, u ride the bikes 9-5 and its not the wee 125 4strokes, its a restricted 400 and wen u pass, which u will, u dont have the 2yr restriction ie. u can come back here and jump on a full power busa!! assumin u own a share in shell to pay for the insurance!!!

my mate kept failin his test over her and eventually went over there and did it and in the end he was legal to drive full power b4 the ones that passed test first time over here lol

If u want more info on the direct access drop me a pm and ill c if i can get a number or a website.

Pete

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Peje said:
tbh the quickest and prob cheaper in most cases is to go across to wales for a wk and do the 'direct access' test. Basically its a wk long course, u ride the bikes 9-5 and its not the wee 125 4strokes, its a restricted 400 and wen u pass, which u will, u dont have the 2yr restriction ie. u can come back here and jump on a full power busa!! assumin u own a share in shell to pay for the insurance!!!
Pete

The Direct Access Course can be done in England and I think Scotland too. If you are over 21 you are eligable basically it means you don't have your two year 33bhp restrction. Mostly the course is done on the 500 twins mainly the CB500 ER5 and GS500. To be honest its not really worth it, just do your restricted test here and yank the restrictors out anyway as 99 percent of others do.

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
U do have a point but the other way is legit, personally id do it ur way. One advantage of havin it restricted is that u get to get used to a bike that'll feel quick comin from a 125 and wen u get used to it u can rip the restrictors out and have basically a brand new faster bike!!

But then again thats near 2yrs of riskin gettin shafted if u get caught, and for most it'll cost just as much if not more to do all the lessons, book the test, etc as it will to just pay up for the direct access. Take a wks holiday go across, girls in cardiff r aparently hot as *** too!! and yeh i think u can do it all over the mainland.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
you could ride a FireBlade during your restriction period, as long as it was restricted.. the insurance company ned to see the Certificate of Restriction to validate it, but then ya can just yank it out as Peje said..

dodgy as fook though, because if ya happened to be unfortunate enough ro have an accident, and the insurance accessor came out, then thats 1 of the first things he would check for.. and obviously, that would invalidate it for ya :confounded:

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
slow_assed_clio said:
the insurance company ned to see the Certificate of Restriction to validate it,

Not nessisarily. When getting quotes off about 15 companies only 1 asked to see the restriction certificate. All you need is a dyno printout. If you want to be particularly crafty just take off two plug leads or get the dyno operator to only open the throttle a bit.;)

Chances are you won't get done for no restrictors, I've never known of anyone who has had thier bike assessed and had been discovered the restrictors were removed.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
removing the leads would be a good plan lol

must just be different strokes for different folks.. my uncle got shafted for not having the restrictor in place, and he said he knew of others that got done too... probably a just a run of bad luck for him an his mates lol

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
yeh wen they checked my bike over i left the garage door ope and he spotted the back tyre completely squared off, random bits missin from the bike and just said ill pretend i didnt c that and wrote her off at full value.

Restrictors r all different, some can b in the inlet, some in the exhaust, some both, and more....but dependin on the bike it can b a case of mins to re-restrict it. 600 bandit has them in the inlet, simply fill in 4 small holes and shes derestricted, to reverse poke holes through with a screwdriver.

Just depends...

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
All carbed bikes are restricted at the air intake between the carbs and the head.

ibitza

RMS Regular
Drives
seat ibiza
what sort of money are you talking for insurance on a 125cc? and who does bike insurance? Will it be anythign like a cars insurance?

Smoore

RMS Regular
depeands on what kind of 125 your go for a 4stroke commuter its going to be cheaper to insure than a sporty 2stroke 125!at 19 with no ncb on a bike before,full car,provisional bike licence on a honda nsr(looks a bit like a cbr600f) i was paying 600 with rampdale(08704446125) third party only!i got sum ridiculous quotes while phoning round £1000-£3000!a freind of mine was paying £700ish i think at 17 on a aprillia rs125!
if you went for the likes of a cg125 or something like that insurance shouldnt be anymore than 2-300 id imagine!personally id recommend doing your test,you can insure a 600 sports bike at 20 with 1 years ncb for around £900 with ebike insurance(try google for an address)

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I insured a 2 stroke 125 for £286 aged 17 with 1 year NCB TPO, in June this year I'll be insuring my CBR400 group 12 of 17 for £500. Very cheap for the performance you're getting.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.