Biking, is it a death wish?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve C

RMS Regular
I've taken a notion to do the CBT and pick up a wee 125 until I pass my bike test.

Everyone I've spoken to about it has been horrified and told me stories about friends and relatives meeting their end on a bike or suffering some life changing injury.

I subscribed to some Moto bloggers on You Tube, one of them died on his bike in the last week...

To say I'm getting cold feet is an understatement. Are my concerns justified or can biking really be safe? I know there is an element of risk of course, but is it worth it?

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I'd love to learn myself, but the one & only time my dad let me loose on one of his scramblers I ended up in the nearby river.

I simply spack out on a bike.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Anyone who has a quick bike and rides it fast is a hero. Nothing beats being beside a bike when the rider launches it off a set of lights or along side you,**** I need one lol.

Same as a car,9 times out of 10 it's the other people on the road you need to worry about.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
I've been riding motorbikes a fair number of years, started off on a wee KMX 125 then progressed to a litre. It is as dangerous as you make it, nothing is truely risk free but you can limit those risks by riding properly. Yes you will come off mich worse from a small accident than being in a car but it's something you have to weigh up.

I'd say go get your CBT and it will give you an idea whether you want to pursue it further.

I still remember how sketchy and vulnerable I felt on the roads during my first outing for my CBT!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Whenever you are on a nice bike, on a nice clear road, on a nice day and in the zone carving up the corners NOTHING compares. If I've had a shi*ty day I jump on the bike and go for a spin. Its true that nothing clears your head like it (sorry to quote advert). My mood is lifted after a run, and for the time I'm on the bike I have no worries or problems.
On the flipside however, if you have a significant other or dependents/children you should ask if its worth the risk if the worst does happen though. Try it and see what you think would be my advice. If you decide its not for you a couple months down the line at least you tried it instead of thinking "What if and if only" (y)

wes

RMS Regular
Loved having the bike but family life and working nights left little time to actually enjoy it, as mentioned above, ride within yours limits even if out with a group, and pay extra attention to other road users expect them not to see you. Go for it (totally agree with @mikey)

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I'm not worried about me, it's other people. The YouTube guy was killed when a car pulled out in front of him for example.

I am married and have kids, that's another worry.

I'll maybe do the CBT and see how it goes.

banksy6118

RMS Regular
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
It makes me laugh when i hear people spreading horror stories about riding bikes. Never hear them about cars, or crossing the road!

go do your cbt, you'll know as soon as you get back from it if you're going to go all the way.

I started riding in 2013 and can't imagine life without my bikes now.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
I love the look and the engineering on motorbikes. The appeal of something with such pace for such little £££ is very appealing.

The fear of killing myself and ruining my love for cars as I'll never own anything comparable (speedwise) puts me off!

johnm

RMS Regular
I've had a couple and all girls start off loving them, but as soon it starts to get serious then they advise its best to sell up and get something sensible lol!
I've had family pass away on them, I've crashed one from a car pulling out in front of me, still love them and cant wait to get mine back out on the road.

As said, try the CBT and see what you think.You'll either really enjoy it or not.
Ride within your own limits, as long as you are confident with them, you'll love it.
You really do need to be a lot more aware though, but its something that comes with being on one if that makes sense, you really do start to notice and read the road (other road users) and what theyre probably going to do.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I echo mostly all of the above, or at least have at one time or another.

I only started riding for the 1st time 2 years ago. I'm now on a Fireblade, (and prob ride it slower than most 125 riders) but I'm the one controlling the throttle so at least I control how fast I go....is it too fast for me? Hell yes it is, but pound for pound it's the best engine derived buzz I have ever had.

Regarding what happens with all the rest of the variables on the road....only fate can answer that....

My advice is to give it a go, and take your time, only ride within your limits

(Oh, and leave it until you are over 35 lol!)

mmmbubble

RMS Member
Drives
2004 R1
Plenty of level headed comments here, I would agree with them all. I left it late, and have been riding for a lot of years now. If I had of done it years ago when younger I wouldn't be here. You'll know if you like it or not very quickly, took me one lesson, and I was hooked. Your concerns are justified, but I ride as if I'm invisble and watch everyone and junctions like a hawk. I tend to use a dark visor, and while people can't see your eyes, they'll always strangely look to your visor to make eye contact, that's what I look for at junctions. Take it steady, keep your wits about you and you'll be ok. As for the buzz, I thought a 600cc was other worldly, now I'm on my second litre bike, it will redefine what you know to be quick on the roads. Never fails to thrill and amaze. It a nutshell, go for it and report back.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I wasn't allowed one when I was a teen, but hit my "pre-midlife crisis" at 30, did a few lessons and got hooked. So just try it and see how you feel.
Other advantages for me are that I can fit more bikes in my garage than cars. I love working at them far more than cars too.

Basically, in a car you're watching the movie. On a bike, you're in the movie.

My mum goes on a bit about bikes, shows me the photos of the crashes in the newspaper and so on. I just sigh, shrug and carry on. One life, live it.

dannydnn

RMS Regular
I say go for it.

I've been on plenty of smaller bikes over the years and always enjoyed them but I'll never forget at 18 a man I worked with handed me the keys to his fresh cbr1000rr for a run. Never experienced anything like it and still haven't came close to that rush since, I was literally shaking with adrenaline when I got off it. The ability to be cruising along normally and click down a gear then be doing 160mph+ is just unreal

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
I will have passed my test two years ago this November. I ride a 250cc its not going to set your world on fire power wise but I haven't had much road time in the two years so I'm happy enough to cruise about on it, the way i look at is im still learning. 60mph is 60mph whether it be a 125 or 1000cc bike just be careful and read the road ahead.

Storm

Banned
i used to ride a 1979 kwak z250, until one night i got side swiped by an uninsured driver.

it happened at 20mph and the only injury was to the bike but it made me realise, you could be the best rider in the world, it just takes one prat to pull out in front of you and it could be game over. i completely lost my nerve and haven't been on a bike since.

fast forward a few years and a childhood friend went under a lorry near Holywood, driver hadn't seen him and turned left over the top of him. pretty much guaranteed i'd never be on two wheels ever again. considered a trike briefly but didn't have the nerve to pursue it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You obviously know the increased risks involved and only you can decide if it's worth taking the chance. We all do track days, mountain biking, offroading, kayaking, etc and there's always a certain element of danger involved in going out and having fun. It's a choice you make after weighing up the risks (for you and your family) vs the (selfish) rewards. Only you know what the right choice is at the time.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
There's nothing like it to me. It's as simple as that. I've grown up with them all round me. Biggest thing you have to worry about is other road users as half time they don't see you. I wouldn't change mine for anything and in fact I just bought another for a project for myself and Dad to tackle.
I say do the CBT and see how u feel, don't be a complete idiot and stay alert and you will be fine ;)

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I would love a bike but at times I struggle with the concept of cars that are able to do stupid speeds where they wouldn't be able to be enjoyed so something that accelerates to 100mph in 3 secs seems a bit over the top for the road.

I love watching Moto GP/ SBK / BSB / NW200 etc but for me that's where bikes belong!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.