Biking, is it a death wish?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Bishopscourt drag day a few months back.
The fastest car was OMA's 900hp Granda with 11.9
The second fastest time all day was a ZZR1400 with 10.49

4wd always gets a good launch, i think OMA's Subaru Legacy car do 10 seconds flat.

A fast bike is hard to launch well as my bike will wheelie off the throttle in 2nd gear, first gear full thottle is unusable and it does 105mph in 1st, 126mph in 2nd so its only 3rd on you don't have to try to keep the front down.

Here is my worst run from that day as I forgot about keeping the front down!!!!

Stevie doesn't get very good traction, I think his best 1/4 is in the mid 9's with good traction. That's better than any showroom bike (afaik)

Bikes are good on the straights but easily outclassed on brakes and corners by good cars.

I gave up bikes after 17 years, last one was a zx12 and then totally hateful (in comparison) zx10 because my brother near killed himself when he was hit by a car on the wrong side of the road. Have had everything from an mt50, kr1s, rd350 ypvs5, Rd500, rg500 gamma, gsxr 1100 then the kwaks

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Ps, a few days in Paris rush hour on a bike soon sharpens you!

Only times I've been back on one was last few times in Paris with work. Total eye opener compared to here!

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I'd say for you to move onto something bigger as soon as you can. I went 125 - VFR400 - TDM850 - GSXR750 - CBR1000. Had a lot of other bikes along with these, but that's pretty much the progression.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I'd say for you to move onto something bigger as soon as you can. I went 125 - VFR400 - TDM850 - GSXR750 - CBR1000. Had a lot of other bikes along with these, but that's pretty much the progression.

Yeah, the 125 is for sale and I'm looking out for a Hornet 600/Bandit/Fazer.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Having had a Hornet 600 and currently a Street Triple R I would prefer the Triumph. A lot lighter, a lot torquier through the rev range for real road riding, better brakes, handling, brand image (if you are into that scene) and of course the noise. Everyone on rideouts always mentions the noise. To me it has the tone of a Metro 6R4 compounded by the burble on the overrun. I honestly don't know what to replace mine with. Talk of a 800 street due in 2017 so maybe hold out for that.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Have had 2 bikes and you gotta love the trip engine and noise. I really like the brand and miss it. Triumph are a great bike ... Only let down here by the shocking dealer service we have here. Yes of course you can take your bike elsewhere which imo is best option

However since owning a Honda, the build quality and finish is ahead of Triumph.

Having had a Hornet 600 and currently a Street Triple R I would prefer the Triumph. A lot lighter, a lot torquier through the rev range for real road riding, better brakes, handling, brand image (if you are into that scene) and of course the noise. Everyone on rideouts always mentions the noise. To me it has the tone of a Metro 6R4 compounded by the burble on the overrun. I honestly don't know what to replace mine with. Talk of a 800 street due in 2017 so maybe hold out for that.

Last edited:

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
2006 Yamaha YBR125

If anyone is looking a decent starter bike, this has been perfect for me. Bought from Geoff Kernaghan, he serviced it and fitted a new exhaust.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
125 is gone. Just bought this.

IMG_20151109_095552046.jpg

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Good solid bikes those. We raced one a fair few years ago now (the box frame shape one) but very good all rounder.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I'm pretty happy with it, 2001 with 17500 on it. People kept recommending them as a first big bike and this came up locally at a decent price.

Last edited:

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
Sv650 was my first bike too! Felt very fast after graduating from a 125! Not the best handling, but as a first big bike, it was excellent. Very reliable, torquey and surprisingly easy on fuel too!

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Great first bike, I meant to suggest it! Great torque and noise and really easy to work on, lots of mods can be done. I ride the bigger version, tl1000s. HTR!

lynnsy

RMS Regular
Drives
Dakar ///M3
I absolutely love bikes, far better than cars. But im 32 and my knee is fecked because of them. Plenty of my mates are into them, I have been on a 900R fireblade and by feck it was fast. But now I have to look after my knee. Dreams offa CR250 are gone

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Anyone have an Aprilia rs125? I'd say riding one of those for a while would really teach you how to ride (and maintain) a bike well.

Reactions: BLS
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.