Biking, is it a death wish?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Hel

RMS Regular
What's her name? Lol

All good zx10 ain't bad but needs gearing it's so soft. Exhaust too this euro4 stuff is ***** but seasons done here now its hot as fk. Went out last week at 11pm and dash said 42 before I even fired her up.

Attachments

• Snapchat-9126425861810968183.jpg
    Snapchat-9126425861810968183.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 99

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
What's her name? Lol

All good zx10 ain't bad but needs gearing it's so soft. Exhaust too this euro4 stuff is ***** but seasons done here now its hot as fk. Went out last week at 11pm and dash said 42 before I even fired her up.

Haha ya know me too well bud, too many of those toys this one is the two wheeled variety...:p

Still living the dream out there? I'm itching to get out on two (one) wheels again!!

Hel

RMS Regular
Mabb the monowheel :grinning:

Yes buds still here for the foreseeable future but have to get over for a few drinks when I'm next back

spagball

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I'm not worried about me, it's other people. The YouTube guy was killed when a car pulled out in front of him for example.

I am married and have kids, that's another worry.

I'll maybe do the CBT and see how it goes.
My thoughts on YouTube guy was he was going far too fast approaching Junction/cars turning right, I think Junctions are the most dangerous I treat every car driver at junctions as if they haven't seen me so I slow right down(relatively) and wait for them to make the move that would have killed me, I've lost count how many times they make that move even when I have reduced speed and taken up defensive road position

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Read a few years ago about research into adjusting your road position as you approach someone turning across or emerging from side road. Not just about being defensive but actually moving smoothly across your lane as you approach and the slight sideways movement tends to catch their eye better as you approach.
At least for those that actually bother to look and not just a quick glance.

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
Yup!
I have a 97 one, the upkeep is good in the summer months, winter not so much! Mines been stashed away for a good few months now. Bought a 1989 cg yesterday to make into a cafe racer, only for the ease of use and maintain - also the build will be fun!
Keeping the Aprilia for the better days!
I take it you have one, enjoying it?
View attachment 105847

View attachment 105849

That's the cg, rs and passat!
De-restricted the wee aprilla? Great going things with the 34mm carb love the smell of 2stroke!

Chris_Mc

RMS Regular
Drives
A4/Daytona 675
I just passed my road test today, Direct access A class licence.

To be honest across all the lessons and some independent riding i've done so far I've never felt unsafe on 2 wheels. Yeah you get the idiots that cut corners or the ones that nudge out of side roads but if you ride to expect it (slow down coming into junctions/not sit on the white line in the road) you minimise the risks. Not saying it's the safest thing you could ever do, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow walking down the road but it doesn't stop me walking down the road. Each to their own really, if you do it and enjoy it then great. If you don't enjoy it don't do it.

Now it's bike shopping time :laughing:

Dave..

RMS Regular
I just passed my road test today, Direct access A class licence.

To be honest across all the lessons and some independent riding i've done so far I've never felt unsafe on 2 wheels. Yeah you get the idiots that cut corners or the ones that nudge out of side roads but if you ride to expect it (slow down coming into junctions/not sit on the white line in the road) you minimise the risks. Not saying it's the safest thing you could ever do, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow walking down the road but it doesn't stop me walking down the road. Each to their own really, if you do it and enjoy it then great. If you don't enjoy it don't do it.

Now it's bike shopping time :laughing:
Well done on passing your test, although I have no idea what an A test is.
When I did mine there was only one test but that was 37 years ago :sob:

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Motorcycle get a really bad stigma in this country from the non-bikers and personally I hate it. Usually the first reaction of everyone is they are dangerous and I do understand that statement but I mean what in life is completely safe.

The whole thing really annoys me. Im only 32y/o but been on bikes since I was 15 in one way or another.

People should talk about the benefits of motorcycling. It's a great pass time, it's enjoyable. If more people took bikes as a hobby the roads would be safer as in my opinion those people who ride bikes have a respect for the road and other users. They also help with the traffic/parking and pollution. I hate seeing these new 7 seater 4*4 with just one driver in them in the mornings. I mean coooooommmmme on - you are driving a bus-like-vehicle to work and hogging the parking spaces.

My advice is don't get hung up on the horror stories and at the same time don't take unnecessary ricks. Find someone who you know who has been on bikes for a while and that you trust and spend your first year going on rideouts with that person. You will learn how to overtake and where to position your bike on the road a lot more from them than you will from your CBT for example. Personally my dad was always into bikes and I spent my teenage years as a pillion passenger and then when I became legal age to ride I spent some quality time with him exploring this island, having a laugh and following his guidance on the road. So don't listen to the naysayers and go for it.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I don't think people's attitude to bikes is as bad as it used to be, but maybe I'm wrong on that one. I'm thinking about the greasy, smelly biker in the 60s and 70s. Then in the 90s/00s the din of the 4cylinder with race cans tearing around is now getting less as there are more people on twins, BMWs and whatnot. They just don't seem to annoy people as much. (It's all Civics and Corsas now.......probably get banned for saying that)
As far as the hobby thing goes, that's just how people see it a lot of the time. There are relatively few people riding year-round to work but a lot of that is down to the government not being kind to us. Look at all these cars with free tax and compare that to £80+ a year to tax a bike. Something not right about that.

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW R1200RS
I agree with that. We should all be encouraged to bike year round, not discouraged. I think better parking facilities for the bikes is a big thing in most towns here. There needs to be free parking for the bikers that is safe to encourage more of us to commute on them.

Dave..

RMS Regular
What bikes you on David? All this talk so ive just decided I will commute to work tomorrow!

I have a 1981 CX500 and have just agreed to buy a Yamaha 600 import with the delta box frame, it needs some work.
My wife told me I needed a project to help lower my stress levels,.......................

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
A bike of any kind is great stress relief. American's will tell you.....You never see a bike parked up outside the shrink's surgery.
A project is good too, but number one for me is just having a shed or a garage to do stuff in.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.