Car came with iPod/iPhone lead installed but...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Sorry if this sounds ridiculous but I bought my FN2 last week so I'm a complete noob.

It already had an iPhone/iPod lead installed by the previous owner in the pocket below the radio but I can't seem to find the button on the headunit to start playing the music from the device.

I've tried the CD/Aux button but this doesn't seem to do anything apart from play a CD. I've tried an iPhone 4 and older generation iPod. There is power to the cable as the iPod charged when I plugged it in.

Am I completely missing something obvious? :oops:

Thanks in advance.

ipodLead1.jpg

ipodLead2.jpg

Gavlar

RMS Regular
True enough lol I know with my Alpine unit I had to go into the menu to actually turn the Aux option on whenever I hooked up my Aux lead, it showed an aux button too but you had to turn the feature on within the menu's so the button would work. Could be something similar

Hammath

RMS Regular
Drives
Sc3n3 Civic.
Maybe it's just a charger? Is it def going to the head unit?

Also that wire isn't an aux connection afaik. So aux button wouldn't start it.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Maybe it's just a charger? Is it def going to the head unit?

Also that wire isn't an aux connection afaik. So aux button wouldn't start it.

You could be right about it just being a charger.

Is that an MP3 button on the right of the second photo?

Is it Bluetooth and needs paired with the device?

It's not a button, it just lets you know that the head unit will play MP3/WMA cd's.

I'm starting to think it's simply a charger that is meant to be used with the Nokia bluetooth hands free kit (on the left in the first photo).

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Although that theory is flawed as it doesn't charge my iPhone 4.

Get the 'Charging is not supported by this device' message.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
If its the official honda connector, I think you need to create a folder and put songs int here to make it work. Can't remember for sure, but something tells me thats what you needed to do and hence why i refused to add it as an extra when buying the car. Could be wrong tho, look it up on civinfo or civictyper forums

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
If its the official honda connector, I think you need to create a folder and put songs int here to make it work. Can't remember for sure, but something tells me thats what you needed to do and hence why i refused to add it as an extra when buying the car. Could be wrong tho, look it up on civinfo or civictyper forums

I've asked on both of those but no real answer yet.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Then i think it might be that creating a folder with a specific name nonsense then. Its such a stupid idea

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Great mystery solved.

Turned out, the lead is actually an FM transmitter and not AUX related. Took me a while to find the frequency but working fine now. Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner.

:oops:

john wilson

Drives
07 civic type r
I have this cable in mine and it connects to an ipod via the aux button, I want to change my cable to an aux cable, anybody know how I can do it

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
I have this cable in mine and it connects to an ipod via the aux button, I want to change my cable to an aux cable, anybody know how I can do it

Will something like this work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grom-iPhone-Female-Extension-Cable-Black/dp/B004VCWM3G

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iPod-30pi...x-input-male-Adaptor-Cable-Lead-/161132287319

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ipod-Dock-Cable-End-Female-to-3-5mm-Cable-Aux-input-WHT-/280633581284

@Cartunes is the man to ask.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
have you tried pressing the AUX button twice? This was the case with one of these input leads I fitted a few weeks ago to a Mazda - worth a try.??

as for John's Question - I'll have a look tonight, I'm in the pulpit in 55 minutes and need to get my trousers on!! ;)

john wilson

Drives
07 civic type r
@mcmurray I have already bought a converter and it works but the volume of the music is very very low even with the volume turned up full on my phone

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
have you tried pressing the AUX button twice? This was the case with one of these input leads I fitted a few weeks ago to a Mazda - worth a try.??

Cheers, but my original problem was sorted.

The lead turned out to be a FM transmitter lead, not Aux.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.