Carbon build up - 2.0L TSI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Howdy.

Having misfire issues with my MK6 Golf GTI at tick over at the minute. Weird fault that only happens at tick-over. Misfires on cylinder one only. Car has 56k.

So far I've done the following:
- Changed spark plugs
- Changed coilpacks
- Changed injector 1
- Checked all wiring

Issue remains, so that leaves removing inlet carbon build up. Had the manifold off doing the injector and there is a fair but not mental build up, cylinder one in particular.

Had notion to use Terraclean. I know the ideal solution is manifold off, and manually scrub the valves, but between buying a house and trying the other solutions above, I'm pretty skint / fed up. Question is, is Terraclean my best option locally, or are there better alternatives out there that won't cost a fortune?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Terraclean won't sort carbon build up, it'll need walnut blasted or scraped out yourself wish is a horrendous job. @Wild Thing does it. I had the 335i done at BMW and it made a big difference.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Ian do you know Paul at Dubtech? He has pics he can show you of an engine done with terraclean. I think his username is @pobmk4 on here

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
From memory if its the direct injection enine, terraclean wont do anything for it. Blasting with wallnut shells is what is required for the direct injection engines. Terraclean may help on a normal injection setup. I think AI in carrick has the capability to do walnut blasting irrc.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Terraclean do offer an inlet cleaning service, above the usual one. Are you guys thinking of the fuel / exhaust side cleaning they offer?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
From memory if its the direct injection enine, terraclean wont do anything for it. Blasting with wallnut shells is what is required for the direct injection engines. Terraclean may help on a normal injection setup. I think AI in carrick has the capability to do walnut blasting irrc.
Not anymore, was speaking to him and he sold all the gear as folk weren't willing to pay the money to get it done. A lot of the vag engines suffer from it, v8s and v10s are bad for it.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
There are the dedicated few who look after their cars, but 90% of NI motorists drive it to it drops and then wonder why they have a large repair bill. Different story though if its disposable income for a party. BRING IT ON!!!
We do the walnut blasting but only carry the tooling for the Mini's so sorry cant help on the vag side of things

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
There are the dedicated few who look after their cars, but 90% of NI motorists drive it to it drops and then wonder why they have a large repair bill. Different story though if its disposable income for a party. BRING IT ON!!!
We do the walnut blasting but only carry the tooling for the Mini's so sorry cant help on the vag side of things
Out of interest what sort of price are the adaptors for your kit?

It's funny you say that, when I took mine into BMW the young lad working there was asking why I was getting it done.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Out of interest what sort of price are the adaptors for your kit?
Each engines intakes would probably run about £200 a unit and are usually manufacture specific so if for example vag say they wont sell you the intake tool you are scundered. Sure they could be machined but the cost would be a non starter for a small indy garage

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Sounds like probably not. I'd have done that and a leakdown test before changing the injector.

Haven't compression tested, no. Mechanic advised cleaning the valves as the next move.

Though from more digging around it could be burnt / damaged exhaust valves. :scream:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Ian, we had an S3 that hunted for idle something terrible, we refused to map it and after going to several garages for 'repairs' was told to get it walnut blasted.

We couldn't find anyone in NI to do it and he ended up wasting money on terraclean which made no difference at all.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Ian, we had an S3 that hunted for idle something terrible, we refused to map it and after going to several garages for 'repairs' was told to get it walnut blasted.

We couldn't find anyone in NI to do it and he ended up wasting money on terraclean which made no difference at all.

See the valves are coked up, but not too excessively.

Which is making me thing a compression and leak down test would be a better course of action. Then pray it's not valves being wrecked and something relatively easily fixed.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No other owners on the Mainland with the same issue? It's a common enough engine.

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
No other owners on the Mainland with the same issue? It's a common enough engine.

From digging through UK forums, similar problems but not exact, and most solved with either coilpacks, plugs or an injector. Found the one from American forums, which is the exact symptoms, which is why I'm thinking burnt valves. He's gone through the same steps I have, except with cleaning the valves done and replacing the manifold.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189738

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
See the valves are coked up, but not too excessively.

Which is making me thing a compression and leak down test would be a better course of action. Then pray it's not valves being wrecked and something relatively easily fixed.

If valves and seats are coked up a compression test could give a poor result maybe ? Just a thought.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Had a Scirocco in work recently (same engine) with 100k miles with what I would deem a 'soft' misfire at idle. A roughness that was showing on the misfire counter but not completely off the cylinder. A Dublin garage replaced coils and plugs, Agnews replaced injector on the cylinder yet still doing it. Tackled it top to toe from basics. Swapped coils and plugs, scoped wiring at coils, removed ECU and checked wiring between both including load testing and jiggle testing. Compression well within VW tolerance. Removed manifold, did all wiring tests with injector loom OK. Cleaned all injector tips and swapped misfiring injector round when in there. Intake valves were horrific, especially on the stems. Manually scraped and cleaned them up, built back together and like brand new. Not even a single misfire from cold registering on the counter. Solely the valves coked causing the issue. I don't know if it's to do with the air tumble or the carbon on the stems holding the valves slightly open at times but cleaning fixed it.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular

Had a Scirocco in work recently (same engine) with 100k miles with what I would deem a 'soft' misfire at idle. A roughness that was showing on the misfire counter but not completely off the cylinder. A Dublin garage replaced coils and plugs, Agnews replaced injector on the cylinder yet still doing it. Tackled it top to toe from basics. Swapped coils and plugs, scoped wiring at coils, removed ECU and checked wiring between both including load testing and jiggle testing. Compression well within VW tolerance. Removed manifold, did all wiring tests with injector loom OK. Cleaned all injector tips and swapped misfiring injector round when in there. Intake valves were horrific, especially on the stems. Manually scraped and cleaned them up, built back together and like brand new. Not even a single misfire from cold registering on the counter. Solely the valves coked causing the issue. I don't know if it's to do with the air tumble or the carbon on the stems holding the valves slightly open at times but cleaning fixed it.

Crikes how did you ever charge for that, and I bet you still got a rip off merchant look when you ended up charging the equivilant of about £5/hour if you took all into account

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.