'CHECK VSC' FAULT ON LEXUS IS

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Big Drago

RMS Member
Drives
LEXUS IS
Was driving home today from work and went down a dip in a country road at about 50mph and up came a fault saying 'CHECK VSC' and the car went into limp mode about 15mins later.
Google tells me this is Vehicle Stability Control that helps regulate your brakes/shocks during emergency procedures.
It also tells me the fault might not be the VSC itself but an engine fault and the VSC is affected by the safe mode kicking in.
People saying anything from catalytic convertor faults to ECU replacement to oxygen sensor faults to one guy who needed a new engine. I hope its not that, I just did that on my last car which was a total nightmare.
Has anyone come across this issue before?
I only bought the car two months ago and do have some cheap ass warranty in place which covers, well, not much.
The dealer I bought it off advised me to go and get it checked out somewhere. (he has a garage beside his dealership)
What sh1t after-care.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Seen this happen on an is220d typical over engineered electronics it turn out it was going through the well documented headgasket failure common to these engines. Dont ask me why it shows as a vsc

Big Drago

RMS Member
OP
Big Drago
Drives
LEXUS IS
Oh right, cheers mate. I didn't know that was a common problem with them.
Can't get it into Lexus for a diagnosis until Monday. Gonna be a long sunny weekend without a motor ffs.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Customer told me lexus diagnostics was £600 ffs rip off
Check the overflow of header tank is not showing signs of blowoff. If your down portadown way anytime swing by and i will thrown it on diagnostic for a few beer tokens

Big Drago

RMS Member
OP
Big Drago
Drives
LEXUS IS
Oh fuuuck....
Was working in Carn industrial estate today. Its 50miles from where I live though...
Cheers anyway mate.

"Check the overflow of header tank is not showing signs of blowoff."
That's under the bonnet somewhere isn't it? LOL
Big Drago mechanic skills: 0/10

Big Drago

RMS Member
OP
Big Drago
Drives
LEXUS IS
I can change brake discs, pads, air filter, oil, engine coolant, all the technical stuff ya know...
I changed a radiator in 1995 in Nam! (ok it was Sydenham)
Maybe I'm 1/10 actually. lol

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Lexus/Toyota are really good with these diesels, if its head gasket you'll get a new engine FOC if its up to 7 years old or 120,000miles with service history (indie garages included as long as it was serviced with approved parts and at the right intervals)

Big Drago

RMS Member
OP
Big Drago
Drives
LEXUS IS
68K 2007
Partial service history.
new engine mentioned again... eek...

Big Drago

RMS Member
OP
Big Drago
Drives
LEXUS IS
Uploaded a pic of dash

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 7,666

Big Drago

RMS Member
OP
Big Drago
Drives
LEXUS IS
In the absence of a decent education I took to Google for help.

Possible causes of VSC being switched off and safe mode activated (according to my Google research)
1-Low tyre pressure
2-Faulty/dirty Oxygen sensor(s) on the catalytic converter
3-Partially Blocked air filter
4-Loose tubing to air filter
5-Loose gas cap (dunno if this meant petrol/diesel cap or LPG cap in Hybrids)
6-Emergency driving/manoeuvres

Things I tried to clear the faults; (with aid of Google research)
1-Checked tyre pressure-all fine
2-Took off 1 oxygen sensor and cleaned it with switch cleaner (couldn't find the second one)
3-Didn't try this as involved removing a lot of engine covering so left this one to last.
4-Same as 3
5-Tightened diesel cap up even though I think this was p1ss all to do with it. haha
6-This rang a bell immediately when I read it online as I went down a dip in the road and up came the VSC issue. This is where the problem started.
7-Removed the EFI 20amp fuse in the front right fuse box for 10+seconds
8-Disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes-THIS ONE FIXED IT

Conclusion;
I think this fault was caused by the dip in the road, the car must have assumed I flew off a cliff and put itself into safe mode.
Disconnecting the battery worked and cleared the safe mode and fault lights. Took car for a spin 10miles and everything worked fine apart from the electric windows.
I couldn't control them from the drivers seat and I noticed each button on each door was flashing. I pressed the button on each door window down and up again and the flashing stopped.
I could then control all 4 windows again from my drivers seat.

While I don't know for sure what the fault code(s) was I'm happy to not be taking my car to Lexus for them to charge me top dolla.
Hopefully this thread helps someone else out in future.

*Mechanic Skills promoted to 2/10*

safety1st

Hi all. I had the same problem 2 weeks while driving on the motorway after previously performing an emergency brake when i left my house. I disconnected the battery head and it worked! :laughing: but now the "check VSC" and limp mode is back again. :worried:
Really don't want to spend major cash on this. Please Help!

Ge0rge

Banned
Hi all. I had the same problem 2 weeks while driving on the motorway after previously performing an emergency brake when i left my house. I disconnected the battery head and it worked! :laughing: but now the "check VSC" and limp mode is back again. :worried:
Really don't want to spend major cash on this. Please Help!
clear the faults and see if they come back.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.