Chemical/oil staining on glass

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Ive noticed what seems to be chemical or oily streak stains on the windscreen, it's more noticable whenever the screen is foggy or the wipers are in use. My first thought was a baked on chemical from the summer months however the windscreen also seems to have an oily film over it. Over the last few weeks i've tried my regular glass cleaner, TFR, Lazer degreaser, Citraclean, Cleanse wheel cleaner, a regular glass polish, and even 0000 wire wool. Wiper blades have also been changed and cleaned with lazer/citraclean/glass cleaner and nothing has even touched it. My next step is Ceriglass with an applicator or Rayon pad. Any ideas on what this is or anything i've missed? I'm beat on trying to shift it! :weary_face:

20221117_071229849_iOS.jpg

20221120_192704329_iOS.jpg

Davey@Procar

RMS Trader
This could be cause from a few different things, shampoo, prewash, snowfoam, or even the boiler at the house if you have oilfired heating, or even screen wash, there is a few items you can try, ceriglass, glaco glass polish or invisiable glass also do a glass polish aswell! I keep all of these if your stuck! Also have rayon pads!

Davey

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
After trying all those different things @Alastair_S including the 0000 wire wool with no benefit I’d be trying as a last resort rotary polishing with ceriglass or else giving it a tap with a hammer and paying £50 excess for a new windscreen

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
This could be cause from a few different things, shampoo, prewash, snowfoam, or even the boiler at the house if you have oilfired heating, or even screen wash, there is a few items you can try, ceriglass, glaco glass polish or invisiable glass also do a glass polish aswell! I keep all of these if your stuck! Also have rayon pads!

Davey
Cheers Davey. Might call in with you as the rayon pads I’ve ordered from elsewhere seem to be lost in the post or stuck with Royal Mail 🤦🏻
After trying all those different things @Alastair_S including the 0000 wire wool with no benefit I’d be trying as a last resort rotary polishing with ceriglass or else giving it a tap with a hammer and paying £50 excess for a new windscreen
Thanks Ross. I was really surprised that the wire wool didn’t shift it, maybe give it another go before Ceriglass..or the hammer.. comes out 😂

Boksic

RMS Regular
Cheers Davey. Might call in with you as the rayon pads I’ve ordered from elsewhere seem to be lost in the post or stuck with Royal Mail 🤦🏻

Thanks Ross. I was really surprised that the wire wool didn’t shift it, maybe give it another go before Ceriglass..or the hammer.. comes out 😂

I'd be trying some of that foaming over cleaner stuff on it first, it cleans oily greasy crap off wheels etc so if you're down to last resorts, that £2 is worth a punt. A new windscreen for the excess price is good too, but it's more hassle than the oven cleaner!

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Astonish glass hob cleaner.
I'd be trying some of that foaming over cleaner stuff on it first, it cleans oily greasy crap off wheels etc so if you're down to last resorts, that £2 is worth a punt. A new windscreen for the excess price is good too, but it's more hassle than the oven cleaner!
Thanks! Will add to the list of things to try 👍