Cleaning moss off a car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just got hold of another car to keep me busy on a night time. Thing is its been sat for 18months!! The guy washed it for me and got the majority of the bad moss off the panels, but there's loads more on the window rubbers and hidden in little gaps etc.

Whats the best way to get it off? Is there a foam I can soak it in then blast it off, or am i going to have to sit and do every little last bit by hand?

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Good stuff, cheers Coog. Will borrow the girlfriends dads power washer then :grinning:

Jonto

RMS Regular
Drives
finger up arse
you could try an all purpose cleaner like megs and agitate it with a small brush then power hose it off

Deleted member 13907

D
I would use Traffic Film Remover and a powerhose. Be sure to aim the water right between the window rubbers and the window itself, in a sweeping motion, to draw the dirt out. This also prevents your windows getting scratched by any debris that may be lurking. Best TFR in my opinion is Concept Chemicals Delta Force 2000 - its dear, but lasts a long time.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
I'll try just the jet wash first, and if not i'll start with the wee brush and all purpose cleaner.
Got plenty other stuff to be doing first though before i can even wheel it out the garage to get a wash lol

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Lad in work had a white Discovery and there was a football pitch on the roof. He took the moss off with a yard brush and a hose for the MOT.

If you care about your paint I would advise a less course method ;)

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Lol, the paint's actually in pretty good condition considering how long its been sat!!! Though the car is only 10 year old i suppose. Good scrub and polish should bring it all up though.
Just got the small matter of brake lines, caliper rebuilds, new tyres etc first though :laughing:

Z4A

RMS Regular
Drives
E89 Z4 35iS
Re:

I had to tackle this problem and used heavy duty tfr neat and an old tooth brush.

Jet washed it off. Couldn't believe the muck that came out.

Deleted member 13907

D
I can't believe people are actually using brushes on their cars, especially when there's no need. Some of the cars I've tackled with TFR and a hose you would not believe.
Why bother taking the moss off in the first place if your only going to inflict scrapes/scores/etc.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Nah, i do actually care about this one!! I bought it woth a view to either breaking it, or MOTing it and selling it on, but we had it running last night and everything is dead on! So much so that the Omega is going once this is ready :grinning:

Z4A

RMS Regular
Drives
E89 Z4 35iS
Re:

I can't believe people are actually using brushes on their cars, especially when there's no need. Some of the cars I've tackled with TFR and a hose you would not believe.
Why bother taking the moss off in the first place if your only going to inflict scrapes/scores/etc.

Wouldn't put a brush near a cars paintwork but along the rubber seals of the window ect, an old TB and TFR gets that green muck out nicely.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.