Coilovers or Lowering Springs

PAULW

RMS Regular
It’s a 2017 with 26k on it. I’m assuming we won’t know the state of the dampers/shocks til it’s on the ramp? Again it’s the same dampers used in the trd edition as far as I have read.
On the gt86 forums they also suggest to add white line 16mm castor bolts at the bottom and reuse the oem bottom bolts at the top. After a week u go for a geo/allignment and hopefully the rear springs have added similar castor. This is all new to me but with my luck it probably won’t be that simple. I do agree that coilovers would be the way but for me I’d want really good ones and that’s 2k sorta money, I just want to get rid off the arch gap and add the spacers to the original wheels tbh. It’s already become a headache going down the forums rabbit hole as u can imagine but plenty have went the route I have chosen and it’s worked out fine. I do understand all the points made above and if the dampers are bad I will of course replace them too. I’m tempted to go the Supra SSI guy in Antrim as I think he might be better informed even tho it’s basically a suburu. Thanks for all the advice so far and any more is of course appreciated. This has been my dream car for quite some years and I’m really enjoying it. But I really don’t want to go too mad with mods, so far I have just debadged it and replaced the Toyota emblems with black ones and added a Cusco strut brace with a master cylinder brace to improve the brake pedal feel
I've a 2014 gt86, I lowered it a few months ago on Litchfield springs, mine had 50k on it and I'm.guessing the shocks were original. My opinion is that it rides better than it did stock.
On the gt86 most the lowering springs don't drop it enough and you've still a big arch gap,.I have actually bought a set of tein flex A coilovers to lower it further in future but haven't bothered fitting them yet.
With the gt86 if you're not a big man for mods, get a set of wheel spacers and lowering springs and it'll really help the look, spacers are essential as the wheel offset is rubbish on OEM rims and the spacers and springs together transform the stance of the car with no negatives from the way the car drives.

MarkOne

RMS Regular
I've a 2014 gt86, I lowered it a few months ago on Litchfield springs, mine had 50k on it and I'm.guessing the shocks were original. My opinion is that it rides better than it did stock.
On the gt86 most the lowering springs don't drop it enough and you've still a big arch gap,.I have actually bought a set of tein flex A coilovers to lower it further in future but haven't bothered fitting them yet.
With the gt86 if you're not a big man for mods, get a set of wheel spacers and lowering springs and it'll really help the look, spacers are essential as the wheel offset is rubbish on OEM rims and the spacers and springs together transform the stance of the car with no negatives from the way the car drives.
Yeah I have eibach spacers 25 r and 20 f to go on too…Thanks. Did u do any thing with the castor bolts? Or anything at the rear?
I’ve read to add 16mm white lines at the bottom and relocate the bottom oem bolts to the top. With a bit of luck the back won’t need anything except maybe the bump stops reduced? I dunno, iv over read this issue so much since the stuff arrived my head is melted lol

MarkOne

RMS Regular
You keep saying castor bolts. Do you mean camber?
Yes sorry for the confusion. My stupidity entirely. So Something like this

So on the forums they suggest to add those in the link to the bottom and use the oem (which I think are 14mm) bottom ones to the top ones.

Then after a week when the springs have settled and u get alignment done u may need to make rear adjustments as required?

Thanks for correcting me jdm stuff is a steep learning curve lol. I don’t want massive camber or anything or anything stupid btw. But iv read u can get lucky and the rear lowering springs add enough camber to balance out the front with these bolts replacement and relocation method.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
No that's grand, I just wondered about caster adjustment on the rear and thought it was odd but I'm not familiar with these cars.

I wouldn't worry about balancing anything with the front, it'll more depend on how much or little camber you want or can live with at the rear.

Lowering it obviously will add some negative camber at the rear but a slight drop on springs probably would add a lot.

If they're not expensive then buy them, fit them and get it set up how you want. If they are expensive and you don't want to buy them just lower it and see how it goes. You can always fit them and get the rear set if needed.

Honestly it sounds like you've read so much on this and have ended up in the trap of over thinking it.

Go do it and see how it goes. Neither option is gona kill you or wreck the car so it's a safe one either way

MarkOne

RMS Regular

No that's grand, I just wondered about caster adjustment on the rear and thought it was odd but I'm not familiar with these cars.

I wouldn't worry about balancing anything with the front, it'll more depend on how much or little camber you want or can live with at the rear.

Lowering it obviously will add some negative camber at the rear but a slight drop on springs probably would add a lot.

If they're not expensive then buy them, fit them and get it set up how you want. If they are expensive and you don't want to buy them just lower it and see how it goes. You can always fit them and get the rear set if needed.

Honestly it sounds like you've read so much on this and have ended up in the trap of over thinking it.

Go do it and see how it goes. Neither option is gona kill you or wreck the car so it's a safe one either way

Agree totally with @natogreen16v, you're over thinking it. I bought the camber bolts but haven't fitted them, it didn't look to need it.

Yea buddy, they r only £30 or so and yeah I was way down tbe rabbit hole again. Covid time away from work at the start made me go down every rabbit hole for sim racing upgrades and the habit has continued. Thanks for the advise lol I’ll be ordering them soon and see how the springs settle in

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
IMG_2112.jpeg
Fitted a set of H&R’s to Mrs Sunrise’s 7.5 with spacers and her CH’s that have been on 99% of her cars, Ascetically I like them but have spoiled the comfort aspect slightly, do for the summer but il take them out after that me thinks

MarkOne

RMS Regular
I can see wider 18s in my future or maybe just stick with the 17s except wider again. Trying not to spoil the car or ruin the drive so that is important to me also