Coming Soon.... 2015 Honda Type R

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
People need to wise up, Hondas have always have had pure motorsport heritage in F1, Touring cars and are great driving cars. Looks are subjective - I think Golf R is shocking, as is the BMW range etc. but it's all personal preference. Hondas were never designed for boy racers for Northern Ireland, it's just what this country associate them with and has made of them. I think it's a great driving car and can't wait till they become affordable.

56oval

RMS Regular
People need to wise up, Hondas have always have had pure motorsport heritage in F1, Touring cars and are great driving cars. Looks are subjective - I think Golf R is shocking, as is the BMW range etc. but it's all personal preference. Hondas were never designed for boy racers for Northern Ireland, it's just what this country associate them with and has made of them. I think it's a great driving car and can't wait till they become affordable.
I'd agree with that, when i picked mine up new in 02 not once did i think that fast forward i'd be living in a world where you could pick one up as a beater for 2 grand and learn the basics of not being able to change gear .

Last edited:

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Can't even get a cat D one under £20k yet, don't think they'll ever be cheap cheap to be honest, 2500 production run isn't a massive amount.

From memory the EP3 was only meant to be 500 or something but the kept it going and built a million billion of them. Hence the price.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I would buy another ep3 in the morning. I loved mine.

I don't like the new type R but appreciate the detail and effort that has went into them.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I reckon if they'd actually made it more like the concept the general chat here would be very different.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Some utter blasphemy of the brand being spouted here, and total colly wobble.... "fast and furious" styling.. it's all functional and it's what helped the car achieve the time around the ring that it did. It shows the attention to detail across all aspects of engineering, that no stone went unturned during design. It's not simply a slightly beefed up version of it's lesser siblings. It may look a little "out there" but it all works to aid aerodynamics and down force. If you can't look beyond the styling to appreciate the engineering then buy a Golf R. :p

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Had a good nosey around a black one in Donnellys, Dungannon, certainly very striking and liked the interior. Would like to get a spin in one as certainly looks very much the drivers car in the on boards I've watched.

Shame they didn't apply performance related changes for the Black Edition, cage, beefy seats, lose the back seats seems to be par for the course on the hot hatches.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Blinkered opinions all round it seems.

Fortunately some can appreciate a car for being what it is regardless of brand, country of origin or typical owner profile. Seems a shame that not everyone can be the same. I suspect a lot of 'enthusiasts' lose out on so many experiences as a result.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
As an administrator you would know that the forums have got 'blinkered' over the past few years ... I have been a long time member and I cannot believe how bad its got over the years and honestly feel that If its not German branded or some spin-off it's barely talked about or just slagged off (this thread in some ways proves that).

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
As an administrator you would know that the forums have got 'blinkered' over the past few years ... I have been a long time member and I cannot believe how bad its got over the years and honestly feel that If its not German branded or some spin-off it's barely talked about or just slagged off (this thread in some ways proves that).

Golf & Mk5 & GTI spring to mind :p.

For the record I actually like the Type R but then I drive a piece of French rubbish so what would I know :p.

All tongue in cheek and back on topic, very surprised Honda are ceasing production as we see very few on the roads compared to other 'hot hatches'. In fact bar a good friend of mine having one I can't remember the last time I seen one on the road!

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
I do think if it was more like the concept more people would've bought it. It really did look fantastic before hand.

I still do not think this would have made a massive difference to the general opinion ... the rear light cluster in the concept was a nice touch but most of the car still remained from that concept.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
I'm extremely excited for the arrival of the new type R, I think it looks phenomenal, and with power increase to rival the RS territory, and hopefully performance to match I think it's going to grab another title at the ring. I think the reserve to make the current car better is already there, though like with everything it's all about steady progress as each model evolves. Either way, it's a big step for Honda introducing forced induction into their "R" models and so far so good I think. Definitely stirring up the hot hatch market rightly, as we can tell.

Reactions: ek4

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Golf & Mk5 & GTI spring to mind :p.

For the record I actually like the Type R but then I drive a piece of French rubbish so what would I know :p.

All tongue in cheek and back on topic, very surprised Honda are ceasing production as we see very few on the roads compared to other 'hot hatches'. In fact bar a good friend of mine having one I can't remember the last time I seen one on the road!

They are stopping production due to the 2017 new CTR being released. This was in the works during the run of the current/now ceased CTR

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I still do not think this would have made a massive difference to the general opinion ... the rear light cluster in the concept was a nice touch but most of the car still remained from that concept.

11-jpg.53418

2015-honda-civic-type-r-fb-12.jpg

Personally I think it's different enough to take the excitement off, which the production model did for me.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
I agree the rear arch /quarter in the concept would have been so much nicer but I'm assuming the base model shares the same quarter panel and reshaping it for the Type R would have been too costly.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
it is what it is .. car companies are no longer run by engineers ... the bean counters are HEAVILY involved

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Had a spin in one of these yesterday, probably not the best of days for it as roads were greasy, as a result caused the front to either light up or traction control to interfere with any touch of the throttle, which probably contributed to me being a bit underwhelmed with the power.

Was only a quick outing with no twisty bits :worried:, car feels good and have no doubt would be quite formidable on a B road blast. Suspension in R mode is extremely firm , car is pretty firm in standard mode also.

The seats are excellent, very comfortable and hold you very nicely indeed, the interior in general seems to be of very good quality and build IMO.

Having a good look round a red and black one, I would take the black. Wheels look a little lost on the arches on them also.