Coming Soon.... 2015 Honda Type R

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Somebody at Honda must be a F40 fan. Is the centre exhaust for the wastegates like the F40?

For all those Vtecs yo!

It is a bit OTT for a Civic.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 08.43.07.png

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
11-jpg.53418

2015-honda-civic-type-r-fb-12.jpg

Personally I think it's different enough to take the excitement off, which the production model did for me.

I have to agree - and I say that as someone who really likes the CTR and would have no hesitation about having one in my driveway, I've had my share of Hondas over the years so far from being a hater. The concept model had widened panels as opposed to what looks like bolt on arches, and was less fussy in the detail. It's not massively different overall but there was enough done to make it the production version look a little messy.

That said, I think they look great in black - which hides some of the extraneous detail - and with a set of spacers and a decent coilover kit, actually look quite menacing.

Honda could have released something very mild and tame in terms of aesthetics, like the Golf R - which doesn't look vastly different from TDi Golfs to the untrained eye. But they didn't and I applaud them for that - even if they didn't quite get it spot on. Variety is the spice of life.

maxresdefault.jpg

David Patterson

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Type R
Had a spin in one of these yesterday, probably not the best of days for it as roads were greasy, as a result caused the front to either light up or traction control to interfere with any touch of the throttle, which probably contributed to me being a bit underwhelmed with the power.

Was only a quick outing with no twisty bits :worried:, car feels good and have no doubt would be quite formidable on a B road blast. Suspension in R mode is extremely firm , car is pretty firm in standard mode also.

The seats are excellent, very comfortable and hold you very nicely indeed, the interior in general seems to be of very good quality and build IMO.

Having a good look round a red and black one, I would take the black. Wheels look a little lost on the arches on them also.
Only way to appreciate the car is to drive it imho. The car comes to life on B roads for sure. Totally different animal as grip, sublime gearbox and responsiveness come to the fore. A bit surprised you were underwhelmed by the power. Admittedly my previous cars were the FN2 and GT86 both circa 200bhp, but I noticed a substantial step up in power/ torque. Depends what you are used to driving I suppose. Agree with the wheel arches comment , but easily cope with that to drive it every day

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Only way to appreciate the car is to drive it imho. The car comes to life on B roads for sure. Totally different animal as grip, sublime gearbox and responsiveness come to the fore. A bit surprised you were underwhelmed by the power. Admittedly my previous cars were the FN2 and GT86 both circa 200bhp, but I noticed a substantial step up in power/ torque. Depends what you are used to driving I suppose. Agree with the wheel arches comment , but easily cope with that to drive it every day

I'm sure on a dry day the power would seem better, I don't think I got to the redline once without slipping or traction control interfering yesterday, the road was very greasy and couldn't get the power down at all. The gearbox was lovely to operate.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
All this thread is doing to me is making me crunch numbers now and trying to figure out how I can own one. I have yet to drive one but I already know I'll love it, somehow.

David Patterson

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Type R
Go fi
All this thread is doing to me is making me crunch numbers now and trying to figure out how I can own one. I have yet to drive one but I already know I'll love it, somehow.
Go for it you won't regret it! Life is too short etc. I wish I had bought one sooner even though the GT86 was a brilliant little car.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
There's a couple around Portadown, a Red one and a georgeous blue colour. Their definatly different

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Had my first experience in one last night both as a passenger and driver (a proper drive). I'm really impressed with the car, everything people praise about it is accurate as are the negatives, albeit there are few of these. It's rapid, it handles well, stops extremely well, lovely driving position, great road presence though on or off +R mode it is as solid as the tarmac beneath it. It looks really well sitting in the driveway doing nothing, and it's enjoyable even to tootle around town. For me however it has created a massive gap between it's predecessors and what the purist loves, the high revving, unrefined screaming vtec that first attracted me - guess that's sign of the times and how things are moving on. For me personally, I wish they made this Type R N/A, with a K20/24 power plant then it would be perfect and equally as capable - emissions / regulations and economy aside. That said, when they come down in a price a little more I must have one in my life but for the time being the Euro R won't be getting replaced.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Struggling to work out what the centre exhaust end does on this new CTR. Seems to serve no real purpose other than to add unneccessary weight. Surely 2 would do? Form over function has ruled here I think, it used to be engineers who made the decisions at Honda rather than designers.

DSC05635_zpsnncmgrgh.jpg

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Struggling to work out what the centre exhaust end does on this new CTR. Seems to serve no real purpose other than to add unneccessary weight. Surely 2 would do? Form over function has ruled here I think, it used to be engineers who made the decisions at Honda rather than designers.

DSC05635_zpsnncmgrgh.jpg

A quick googling reveals not a lot, apart from a guess that it might be a type of screamer pipe.