Coolant level sensor bypass

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Coolant level sensor has went bad on my xc90. A new one isn't available without the expansion tank.
Unplugging the sensor leaves the light still on.
Jumping it also leaves the light on.
Tried a few resistors I have but none seem to work.

Would anyone know roughly what resistance these should read?
2 wire sensor that reads off a magnetic float.

Thanks,
Anton

tommy309

RMS Regular
Is there definitely a supply coming to it? U can usually get the sensors separately

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Got one in the end up. Still not working so I reckon it is the magnet in the coolant bottle that is stuck

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I've a bottle with a good sensor if you want to try it? It leaks, which is why I changed it. I would have thought bridging it would put the light out though so I suspect there is another fault somewhere, probably a broken wire on that circuit.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
I've a bottle with a good sensor if you want to try it? It leaks, which is why I changed it. I would have thought bridging it would put the light out though so I suspect there is another fault somewhere, probably a broken wire on that circuit.

Whereabouts are you as I might take you up on that offer đź‘Ť

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Ballynahinch, or can leave it at my parents in Bangor if that's handier?

Thanks for the offer but it would be a camel trek to get to either Bangor or B'hinch for me.

I have the new sensor, I will have a go to see if it's the magnet in the bottle that is the issue. It would be a poor coincidence if both the old and the new sensor were duff.

I'll have a check of the wiring from the plug back as well to see if it's a broken wire somewhere.