Crash & Burn - The guy who was too crazy for F1

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

RCT

RMS Regular
Looking forward to seeing this, the story of the legendary Tommy Byrne

Have you read the book Chris? It's a good read and I don't normally read books! Even was quick when they cheated him and didn't give him full throttle .

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
Have you read the book Chris? It's a good read and I don't normally read books! Even was quick when they cheated him and didn't give him full throttle .
I haven't but going to order a copy I think. I've heard some of the stories over the years so really looking forward to the movie.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Have you seen the price of the books???

What's going on here?!

IMG_0759.PNG

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Just finished this. Seems like a down to earth fella who was, indeed, just a little mad for F1. Glad he seems to be in a better place now.

KevM

RMS Regular
Scary to think F1 cars were once like that. Glorified go-karts

Driving mattered. Byrne should have been an F1 legend, he loved the craic, pints & hoors lol

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
actually only got to watch this tonight myself. Confirms all the stories I heard over the years. The sport is even worse now than it was then by all accounts too. Proves no matter how skilful you may be its all about money at the end of the day. Oh and sometimes biting your tongue...

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I'd say any flaws Tommy had would have been overlooked of he was able to bring some money in to the team, probably are quite a few like him but overlooked because they have money behind them. Can't imagine Eddie Irvine being much different really, except he had a bit of cash behind him......

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Funny enough just noticed this on iPlayer and downloaded it for the plane back from India.

Definitely a very talented guy and as others have said, just didn't have the money/background/links that others had at the time.

I'd love a night out with him :grinning:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Downloaded and watched this yesterday- cant believe I've never heard of him :oops:

Reactions: IL

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Was a very good show an such a pity we didn't get to see him properly in f1.

I take it his mate Roddy owns the garage in Dundalk? plenty of old Renaults in his shed.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
I watched this last night, an hour well spent. I'd never heard of the guy before. Funny how money was the make or break factor, James Hunt was a similar loose canon but obviously had the finances to get away with it.

Also watched the Paul Hollywood meets John Surtees programme last night aswell, another good show.
I knew he was a biking and car legend, but I didn't know that Ferrari had sh1t on him from such a great height, nor that he had set up the heli-med for his son.

Reactions: dub

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
He had unreal amounts of talent. If he had been well to do or English things would have been so much different. Bloody tragedy really.

The only F1 drivers who spring to my mind who weren't from wealthy backgrounds are Lewis Hamilton, Nigel Mansell, Schumacher. I'm sure there are others but money seems to talk more than pure talent.

The cost of getting into F1 - raconteur.net

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
was money really a make or break factor? He got his drive and did extremely well. I wonder did his mouth mess it up in reality? I doubt that they gave him the drive just for a laugh, there has to be more to it.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
was money really a make or break factor? He got his drive and did extremely well. I wonder did his mouth mess it up in reality? I doubt that they gave him the drive just for a laugh, there has to be more to it.
Agree, the money thing is a factor for sure, but as a reason he didn't make it is a load of rubbish, to me his ways and attitude ruined his own career.

look at Joey Dunlop, he started his racing at Aghadowey as a working class man and wore a boiler suit as he couldn't afford leathers, his ways and charm soon led him to be a PR dream but he could very easily have slipped the same way as Byrne

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.