Creating and Selling Sponsor Graphics

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Twain

RMS Regular
Ok, no comments about how stupid sponsor graphics look on cars!

This is a sensible post about the legal factors involved with creating and selling sponsor graphic decals.

I cant seem to find anything on the net that would cover this topic, seems to be a grey area. Basically im curious to how Graphical Printing companies are allowed to print and make profit on well know tuning brands i.e HKS, Brembo etc? I have some ideas about printing graphics but wont be infringing on the already established companies who print for cars, its more for other items.

If anyone can help me here it would be much appreciated, just want to be as legit as possible. Was thinking putting TM or Registered symbols on the brand logos to cover the copyright issues but this is also grey as the skies :confounded:

cheers

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Had the same thoughts myself when I was going to start designing t-shirts but kinda went off the idea. Would be interested to know the answer to this myself.

Twain

RMS Regular
OP
Twain
Yeah i have a few t-shirt designs done, but legal side of it is so vague...ive seen some company logos which are copied elsewhere but if they are not registered trademarks then can they stop you using them.

I know my luck ill get done somewhere along the line, hopefully someone on here may have experience with this....i.e clothes stitchers, graphic printers etc, prob the people who print shopping lists for the sides of cars should have a fair idea of legalness, maybe i am unturning a dirty stone tho....:confounded:

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Well, i thought of it this way. IF anything is said to you, say that yes, you are using their logo to sell whatever it is, BUT, whatever you are selling is in turn advertising their products at not cost to them. So it all cancels out and everyone is happy! :p

Twain

RMS Regular
OP
Twain
Yeah i see your point, you should be nearly getting money off them ;) Its the whole copyright jargon that confuses me just, maybe a grpahic liscence covers the whole situation. I see you have as much knowledge as me about the subject, maybe we shall go into business together and use the ' i thought the other person had sorted that out' lines if approached...;)

Twain

RMS Regular
OP
Twain
that could be our slogan :grinning:

but on a serious note, hopefully someone will be along today to straighten it all out for us.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
it only becomes an issue if they come lookin you wots the chances eah

Graphic_chick

Drives
pug 206 LX
Sorry i cant shed any light on the sponsor graphics situation.

But most graphics are made in a programe for example composer etc, most programmes cost 800+ to buy, so when you buy them you buy the rights to print whatever is on there.

for example we have well known logos in the package we work with, which makes it legal for us to print them as we have bought the rights to, when buying the graphic package.

As for 'geting done' for having them, I very much doubt that will be an issue.

Dont know if this is any help, will find out in detail and post next week when i see my graphic tutor, its his job to know this sort of stuff.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
if you are using copyrighted material or a registered trade mark you need the permission of the the owners or company to use there logos. you may also have to pay royalitys. If they say no and you use it anyway like ford motor group logos you maybe taken to court and charged with copyright theft and fined or locked up or both.

however the chances of a company being bothered to take one person to court for 1 or 2 stickers or t shirts is unlikely due to the hastle but if you have a stall at nutts corner and are making quite a bit of money you can be in trouble.

i know this because i have an embroidery buisness and my dad went to his solicitor and found all out.

Twain

RMS Regular
OP
Twain
cheers for the advice....i look forward to hearing back from the graphics tutor you mentioned Graphic Chick, def need to start without any legal infringments.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.