Diesel Auto - £4k

Boksic

RMS Regular
Probably a rep mobile given the miles and relatively young age, but a Portfolio has all/most of the toys. Not the smooth 3.0V6, but 2.0L oil burner will be very frugal

That one's ****ed?
I know you're a Jag fan from your posts, are these things just a fancy Mondeo or are they miles apart? Mondeo's in around that age that I've came across seemed to be decent enough for a family car with no frills

feckers

RMS Regular

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
That one's ****ed?
I know you're a Jag fan from your posts, are these things just a fancy Mondeo or are they miles apart? Mondeo's in around that age that I've came across seemed to be decent enough for a family car with no frills
Depends on service history I suppose. Can be found on Jags online service history website with right VIN number.

Mondeo chassis and suspension were used for the old X-Type. XE(think Audi A4, BMW 3 series or Merc C class) is its replacement and built from completed new design from the ground up.

XF (X250) (think Audi A6, BMW 5 series or Merc E Class) is older but based on the S-Type platform. Newer XF (X260) is also a completely new design. 2.0 enginium engines have had reported problems yes, but no more than some of the German marques.

BMW and others aren't as reliable as their marketing would make out. Swirl flaps being a good example. Jag have probs with euro 6 diesel engines, but show me a modern oil burner manufacturer that doesn't have some known problem with its engines.
Needs an engine or an expensive rebuild - would be an expensive car by the time you were finished with it.

Steer well clear of 2.0 JLR Ingenium engines, ticking time bombs.
If Dragon Engines in Chesterfield are still on the go, I'd look a reconditioned engine from them. Had to do similar with an ex's Toyota Avensis. Cost me about 3 grand all in for reconditioned engine and fitting, but car ran well enough afterwards.