DIY Ceramic coating

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Ok…have a query re doing your own Ceramic Coating at home in a garage.

I’m 20 hours into polishing my M3 now (2step with Menzerna 400 and Sonax Perfect Finish), and now that the paint is as good as I’m going to get it myself (without going to a pro) I’m wondering what to use for a coating…

My go-to has been the combo Powerlock and Collinite 845 but wondering if I should try my hand at a ceramic coating -
the car is only going to be used in the dry and around 6 months of the year so I know I don’t really need ceramic for the everyday crud from daily driving but it would be more for a really enjoyable washing experience and being able to wash it much easier. I’d also fancy having the wheels done too..

Seen some can do their own CSL with 2x Exo topper and seen Infinity Wax Synergy have a new 2 year home diy type one ..

Anyone any experience tackling a Ceramic coating on their own and did it work out well?

KevM

RMS Regular
My knowledge on the topic is limited, but Id say if it is actually 'proper' Ceramic & not one of the many many Tribute acts, then the potential to make a real mess of your paint, is strong & really hard to reverse.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
i used C1 and EXO last year.
Seems the process is similar for most:

1 or 2 drips onto applicator
rub over small area
Gentle rub over with microfibre to level it off
final buff off with another clean microfibre

dont mix the clothes up, overlap small areas to not miss any, and dont let it sit too long or it wont rub off.

Darren91

RMS Regular
CarPro CQuartz is a fairly good shout for a first time ceramic. Easy to apply and pretty forgiving, can be topped up with ReLoad and is well priced at sub £50 with a claimed 2 year protection….

Though I await Pete@PMG’s or Davey@Procar’s input to this!! 😀

Done this myself a couple of years back - highly recommended for a DIY coating.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
CSL & EXO is pretty straightforward to use. Lots and lots of panelwipe beforehand.

You can’t rush it and you can’t do it too quickly either. Let it cure fully before taking it outside or wetting, applying chemicals for the first time.

Lots of cloths, a few applicators and just be methodical.

A one year, or spray coating, is like pissing into the wind, might as well just wax it in that case

Davey@Procar

RMS Trader
Mark really it is up to what you fancy doing, i think your more than able to do it your self, so yes i have coatings in stock from 1 year to 5 years, your car being a weekend toy most coatings will last longer!
I have infinity wax 1 yr and 2 yr, autobrite 3yr and 5 yr, csl and exo, raceglaze 9h, carpro sic, carpro lite, i dont think i have any carpro cquk left, but iam sure one one of the above will work for you!

Davey

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I’ve had a couple of different ceramic coatings on my cars, the only one I thought was worth the money was Kamikaze.

I wasn’t really impressed with Gtechniq at all.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Have a look at Nasiol ZR53. Incredibly user friendly, and despite being apprehensive, it was genuinely a breeze. Take your time. Have plenty of cloths as Pete said, and allow it to cure.

The nation wasn't fussy either. Water behaviour was incredible, and it was still going strong after 2 years.

Good luck.

Niall

Enda

RMS Regular
Drives
M4
CQUK is a great coating for home use but if you are used to wax you might not like the grabby feeling of it when you touch it. You can add gliss on top which adds an extra layer of protection and gives a smoother feeling to touch. I’ve never used Gtechniq outside of C5 on wheels but presume CSL and exo would be similar behaviour with longer longevity. The reality is if you like cleaning your car you will have applied something else before the claimed lifespan is up anyway.

Gyeon Mohs evo is supposed to be very good and I think thats what I’m going to use when I next do the M4.

Edit: It’s mostly in the prep but this was the M4 after 2 coats of CQUK

15761BFD-FF29-4B6E-A2C1-A722319E3FD6.jpeg
1C804EE5-4209-4D95-AADD-A9FF9B1E88D6.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
The thing I really like about Kamikaze is the Top coat product, incredibly easy to apply and as the name suggests tops up the original coating and gives it additional lifespan.