Do you class it as hit and run?

Gaz168

RMS Regular
so this morning I was minding my own business fuelling the car up in the “go garage”. Belfast

While fuelling a girl pulled up beside me and as she open the door it’s hit of my front wing, as she went out she said sorry and continue on approaching the pump and make fuelling her car up

so I went into the car to. I’ve out of the way and jump out and discover she have dented the front wing and took a bit off the vinyl of the wrap (car is wrap recently)

I then approached her and asked her politely to take a look at the damaged, and she rudely say no and said is wasn’t her fault and I try to blame the damaged onto her and said she has never hired my car,

I explained to her that if she come out and talk to me and take a look at the damaged we could work something out before me trying to get police etc involved (I also explained to her everything should be recorded in the camera at the forecourt)

However she rudely rev her car and drove off and shout out she be paying nothing for no damaged

Luckily I had took her reg down and reported to the police

I wonder would it be classified as a hit and run incident? And how often will the police get back to me as I still haven’t have no response from them since the (101) phone call earlier this morning…

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Hit and Run or criminal damage maybe.

Don't expect the PSNI to do much other than give you a Occurrence Number.

You might have trouble getting the CCTV footage with GDPR these days.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
It's damage only hit and run, driver should provide you details. Near sure GO have decent CCTV too. They will attend both parties and should view your damage in person and then they'll get details exchanged but depends on call volumes

Last edited:

Gaz168

RMS Regular
OP
G
I’m normally the type that.. if the person willing to accept responsibility, I would try and work something out, either if the damaged is small or a quick repair (in my case I’m not too sure about vinyl wrapping)

Or even let them off if it doesn’t cost too much to have it fixed or a easy fixed

But with her showing no decency at all.. I really do hope the PSNI would have the matter sorted, as it is such a bad behaviour to have and need pointed out to

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have had success in the past with similar - although I had photos. They denied it. It was pretty clear they did the damage. I spoke to police and sent them the pictures, police went to see them and eventually they agreed that they did actually damage the car and would sort the bill.

I wouldn't hold your breath on police coming back to you urgently on the matter though. The timeline was weeks.

Can you not have your insurance sort it? They should be fit to chase the other person assuming you've enough evidence.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
She was a d1ck, teach her a lesson, I would.
Yoda speaks!!

You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Apply for the CCTV footage straight away. Retention time is usually 28 days for CCTV (They generally can't keep it longer) but some places are much shorter. The sooner you apply, the much more likely you are to get it

Gaz168

RMS Regular
OP
G
So already contacted go garage and they are investigating the issue

Also a called back from the police, she explained that she would give the girl a call and try to see if she would admit fault and willing to figure something out with me, or if she’s denying it then insurance has to play in and hoping the cctv footage would show when the damaged being done

Normally this is classified as criminal damaged but the chance is taking to court and etc are slim

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Had similar once but more innocent as it was an old person, tbf the police were really quick on it and cause I was happy as long as the damage was repaired and not worried about charges it was sorted pretty quickly. The shop wouldn’t give me footage or let me look at it though the police had to go get it.

Hard one whether ud push it to get charges on her cause she was such an ahole or just try for the money and be happy.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Police won’t be in a rush I was hit cycling home from work 2 weeks ago today. Reported that night on 101 and Statement taken the following day and I’ve heard nothing since.

That’s for an injury hit and run too.